Otago MBChB Class of 2022

Discussion in 'MBChB' started by frootloop, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Carters

Carters Otago MBChB IV

IMO the step one book is amazing! I used the case based book for elm2 and found it had way too many errors and was lacking too much detail, so I gave up halfway through the year. Then I bought step 1 for elm3 and wish I had've bought it earlier and used it for both years. It does have lots of extra content with pharm and micro, but it also has everything else you need. I used it for renal, endocrine, neuro, RDA and RCA as well as path and pharm, and it was super helpful. It also has little pneumonics along the way to help you remember stuff

academedical likes this.
  2. academedical

academedical Otago MBChB III

Student
    Thanks so much guys! You've got me convinced lol. I found the errors in the cases book pretty unbearable - I spent so many hours correcting them that I'd be glad to switch to an alternative!

3. Clav

Clav Otago MB ChB III

Former Med Lab Scientist
    I find first aid excellent for the mnemonics and diagrams etc if nothing else, definitely a handy resource imo.

4. travellingspaceman

travellingspaceman New Member

Yes I found the Step 1 book really useful as well for the same reasons as Clav

5. Max Werner

Max Werner New Member

Bit unrelated, but was wondering where around the south Island we can do placements in 4th year if we stay in Dunedin?

6. Carters

Carters Otago MBChB IV

Invercargill, west coast and Timaru but you get no choice over where or when you do an out of town placement. They're also approx 4 weeks long.

7. Max Werner

Max Werner New Member

Is the east coast of SI part of chch campus?

8. Carters

Carters Otago MBChB IV

I'm not sure what towns exactly you mean by east coast? Christchurch has very limited out of town placements, some people may not get to leave chch hospital for any placements, but the class presentation we had last year before we chose where to go in alm4 did not say what the potential towns are for 4th year placements. But I have a feeling they're just in the cantebury region, like you might do rural gp in like cheviot or something.

9. quail

quail PGY1 Intern

For the Christchurch campus, none of the 4th or 5th year placements (with the exception of RMIP) are outside Christchurch. In TI year, there is the option to do one or more placements in Timaru, Nelson or Blenheim (and yes - rural GP in TI within Canterbury or outside on agreement with the school).