Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Otago MBChB Class of 2024

I found the 'case studies in medicine' books sold by OUMSA a pretty good bench mark for content in ELM. If you knew that book, plus your anatomy (which you kinda have to memorize) then you'll sail through the exams.

Even with the benefit of hindsight, I wouldn't leap straight to USMLE for ELM. It's too heavy on management and too light on physiology for ELM.

But everyone works differently...

Grape

Med Student
Any premade Anki deck recommendations for ELM 2? i think there was a link to one from a couple years back but cant seem to find it

mojito

Can anyone quickly talk through the strategies they used to learn for ELM? Did you write notes? Rely on the lecture slides? Focussed on pure understanding? Used heaps of flashcards? Just feeling rather confused on what I should be doing that would be effective. Thanks :)

Cathay

🚂Train Driver🚆
Emeritus Staff
Can anyone quickly talk through the strategies they used to learn for ELM? Did you write notes? Rely on the lecture slides? Focussed on pure understanding? Used heaps of flashcards? Just feeling rather confused on what I should be doing that would be effective. Thanks :)
I think I’ve used most if not all of the above at different points. With the exams being at the end of the year, and with them being pass-fail (in that you don’t have to be like a health sci trying to get every single mark), you have the luxury of being able to try different things.

I think not being sure of how you’ll tackle med school (and learning in general) is a constant and ongoing theme, and at the end of the day you are your own unique individual and you can only try different methods and see what sticks - and it pays to always evaluate whether you can do things better or quicker. The important thing is that you always do something with stuff you’ve learned - don’t fall into the same trap many of us have, and ignore large chunks of material until too close to exams.

It’s early days yet - does ELM still start on behavioural medicine? I think you’ll have a better grasp of how ELM in general works (and how topics in each module is generally broken down) by about halfway through the year, perhaps CVS or Resp. Until then, experiment and evaluate - but always do some form of study!

I would also bear in mind that you are building the foundation for all the rest of your medical knowledge to come in the years to come, so it would be handy to have a framework and general idea of each topic before you dive into the details, rather than knowing a lot of unrelated minute detail. And don’t cognitively dump everything after exams - medicine is a continuous journey, rather than individual papers.

Any premade Anki deck recommendations for ELM 2? i think there was a link to one from a couple years back but cant seem to find it
There’s probably something to be said for making your own - indeed the process of making notes and resources can cause you to learn and remember more, than if you just read someone else’s stuff. Turning to resources prepared by others is more a revision tactic rather than a learning tactic. It’s like how First Aid for USMLE Step 1 can be useful for ELM revision and trying to remember stuff you’ve already learned, but not that good as a primary learning resource as there isn’t enough explanation of how things actually work or happen (and as pointed out above: even the Step 1 book is heavy on various pathologies and light on anatomy/physiology), so you’ll be confused.

Last edited:

Hi guys, I just have some questions that hopefully some of you that have done ELM2 before can answer.

What kind of questions do they ask you in the Cases SAQ?
How do I study for the Cases SAQ?
For pathology, since it's the most heavily examined vertical module, is it higher yield to study from the lecture slides or the tutorial material? Or both?
How heavily is lab content examined?

Thanks

AnFo

Otago MBChB III
Hi guys, I just have some questions that hopefully some of you that have done ELM2 before can answer.

What kind of questions do they ask you in the Cases SAQ?
How do I study for the Cases SAQ?
For pathology, since it's the most heavily examined vertical module, is it higher yield to study from the lecture slides or the tutorial material? Or both?
How heavily is lab content examined?

Thanks
Pathogy assesses you on the tutorial material, plus the intro material they give you. If the intro material is a lecture (e.g the valvular heart disease or the MI lecture by Nada) then those lectures are included. The wrap up slides for each tutorial are very good to go over.

Cases SAQ asks you questions from the cases plus the IDLs. Id reccomend looking at past cases SAqs, they give you last year's on moodle to look at, plus there's a google drive resource folder with past SAQs. I'd also reccomend going over the tutorial objectives found in the case booklet.