Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Otago MBChB Class of 2024

AnFo

Otago MBChB III
When and How (eg. medmoodle / evision) do we receive the breakdown of our performance in each module? Also, are we able to request to have our exam papers back? Thank you :)
Last year, they sent an email on the 9th of December which gave us a breakdown of each exam, and for the written exam by module. I expect this email to come this week or next week.

As for exam papers, I believe we are able to ask for our exam papers however it is not usually done. The details for this are on the assessment procedures information from memory.

Grape

Trainee Intern
When and How (eg. medmoodle / evision) do we receive the breakdown of our performance in each module? Also, are we able to request to have our exam papers back? Thank you :)
From what I have heard from past students, we get an email breaking down our scores for each block module etc. Hopefully sometime this week or next week we should get feedback, based on previous years :) And you can request your written papers back from AskOtago, just have to fill an application form
Hope this help :)

Here's the Information from the Assessments doc (the APP) on moodle.

1606877835821.png

Grape

Trainee Intern
Has anyone requested to get there exam scripts back? Is there a way to do this if you’re not in dunedin

quail

Registrar
Has anyone requested to get there exam scripts back? Is there a way to do this if you’re not in dunedin

Yes email the ELM admin/exams office (can't remember exactly who - just the same process as for previous exams). The process is straightforward - you post them an A4 envelope with your own address and postage on it and they will send you back your exams in the post (provided it is before the deadline)

aimn

Lurker
hey guys im going into elm2 this year and was hoping some of you who have already done it would be able to provide me with some insight into what the workload is like! would it be possible to balance a part time (weekend) job on the side or would it be advised against to? any replies would be much appreciated :)

quail

Registrar
hey guys im going into elm2 this year and was hoping some of you who have already done it would be able to provide me with some insight into what the workload is like! would it be possible to balance a part time (weekend) job on the side or would it be advised against to? any replies would be much appreciated :)

These questions have been extensively answered previously on the forum - try having a look through the various Otago MBChB class pages in regard to part time work (in short - yes possible but most people do not work part time)

In regard to workload, have a start by reading through this thread - Otago MBChB - Overview of the Years

Not sure if this is the right place to ask but for 4th year so most people get their preference of location Dunedin/Christchurch/Wellington?

Pathogy assesses you on the tutorial material, plus the intro material they give you. If the intro material is a lecture (e.g the valvular heart disease or the MI lecture by Nada) then those lectures are included. The wrap up slides for each tutorial are very good to go over.

Cases SAQ asks you questions from the cases plus the IDLs. Id reccomend looking at past cases SAqs, they give you last year's on moodle to look at, plus there's a google drive resource folder with past SAQs. I'd also reccomend going over the tutorial objectives found in the case booklet.
Hello! I was just wondering if you might know how to access the google drive folder? Thanks in advance :)

Generally, yes. There may be a few people who don't get to go where they preference highest
Hi again, I'm guessing there is no way of increasing my chances of getting a 4th year placement in Christchurch off the waitlist? I know it probably a stupid question but thought I would ask anyway haha. I'm desperate :)

rustyedges

Hi again, I'm guessing there is no way of increasing my chances of getting a 4th year placement in Christchurch off the waitlist? I know it probably a stupid question but thought I would ask anyway haha. I'm desperate :)
Not really I'm afraid. The med school might take into consideration if you had any extenuating circumstances, such as a family member needing care or children in school, but even then it's not a given. The other option would be to see if anyone in the class wanted to do a direct swap - but may not be likely if everyone has chosen where they definitely want to go.

Not really I'm afraid. The med school might take into consideration if you had any extenuating circumstances, such as a family member needing care or children in school, but even then it's not a given. The other option would be to see if anyone in the class wanted to do a direct swap - but may not be likely if everyone has chosen where they definitely want to go.
Okay thanks for reply, as I though. I was turned down in the appeal and now 1 of about 6 on waitlist so fingers crossed a few people choose alternative studies.

Last edited:

CopperCat

How many PDs do you need throughout ALM4 and ALM5 to be nominated for distinction? Thank you :)
Would advise checking out the UoO MBChB Assessment guidelines :) Each module has different weightings to be considered towards a nomination and it depends what campus you are on. For example, at UoC you need a weighting of at least 9.5 in ALM5 where a 4 week run is ~4. They also take into account you passing all the required examinations and not having any concerns about conduct etc. Definitely google the guidelines and have a read through. It also depends on the level of disruption due to COVID ;-;

mojito

Would advise checking out the UoO MBChB Assessment guidelines :) Each module has different weightings to be considered towards a nomination and it depends what campus you are on. For example, at UoC you need a weighting of at least 9.5 in ALM5 where a 4 week run is ~4. They also take into account you passing all the required examinations and not having any concerns about conduct etc. Definitely google the guidelines and have a read through. It also depends on the level of disruption due to COVID ;-;
Thank you very much! Will take another look :)

greenbean

Does anyone have a link to a page where we can download this? Cheers

greenbean

To be awarded Distinction for a discipline does 'achieved Potential Distinction in Medicine Year 5 Common Component Written examinations at
the first attempt'
refer to your combined mark for that module, or do you separately have to have been awarded an excellence mark in the MCQ and SAQ sections separately?

WillyP

MBChB Graduate - Class of 2023
To be awarded Distinction for a discipline does 'achieved Potential Distinction in Medicine Year 5 Common Component Written examinations at
the first attempt'
refer to your combined mark for that module, or do you separately have to have been awarded an excellence mark in the MCQ and SAQ sections separate

It's your overall result for that discipline in the exam - so MCQ and SAQ combined. Should be a score for each discipline in your exam results breakdown.