Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Otago Scholarships

Status
Not open for further replies.

musica209

Deuce.
I only applied for the Academic one since I never completed any formal grades for any of my instruments, nor do I feel like I have done enough as a community leader/volunteer to justify the Leaders scholarship. I'd feel too awful accepting one even on the off chance I get it. (Actually now that I think about it, I don't really deserve an Academic one either. Self-realisation sucks.)

[offtopic] I wouldn't say -coping-... I wish I still was a Dunedin kid now! Scholarship classes? D: Luuuuccckkkkkyyyy.[/offtopic]

Fair enough. We have a Year 12 sitting the scholarship exams as well. I think she's sitting English. Is that highly attainable or something? I hear it's pretty easy.

Also, one of the teachers at school said we had the option of doing a General Science scholarship exam instead of the Physics exam (cos doing 6 exams would be rather tedious in a span of 2 weeks) - what do you think of this? It means we have to study two new topics (geology and astronomy), but all the teachers are discouraging me from doing Physics :(

[offtopic]Your teachers are what? That's disgraceful. Even if they don't think a student will get it, schol material is not only useful for the level 3 curriculum, but is a fantastic process for furthering understanding of the subject as a whole. It's really only up to you at this point.

I would think that English may be 'easier' in the way of getting in that 0.3% or whatever the percentage is, since it's the most studied subject and a larger cohort = more scholarships. But then again, it is a lot of extra work unlike the sciences imo. My friends are studying another 5ish texts for it.[/offtopic]

I have officially completed all registration for Otago! Best of luck to everyone that have applied! :D

musica209

Deuce.
[offtopic]Your teachers are what? That's disgraceful. Even if they don't think a student will get it, schol material is not only useful for the level 3 curriculum, but is a fantastic process for furthering understanding of the subject as a whole. It's really only up to you at this point.

I would think that English may be 'easier' in the way of getting in that 0.3% or whatever the percentage is, since it's the most studied subject and a larger cohort = more scholarships. But then again, it is a lot of extra work unlike the sciences imo. My friends are studying another 5ish texts for it.[/offtopic]

I have officially completed all registration for Otago! Best of luck to everyone that have applied! :D

[offtopic] So essentially, it's a bad idea? Yeah, they kind of crinkled their noses, so I don't think they want to teach it. Or maybe they think I'm dumb. But it's pretty late in the year, so they've all sort of given up. So now general science is the new physics replacement! I guess I'll end up doing 4 because studying a whole new set of materials for one scholarship exam does sound a little tedious. Hmm... [/offtopic]

Good luck to everyone applying to Otago! :D

richardms

I applied for the 'Leaders of Tomorrow' and 'Maori and Pacific Islander' Scholarships. Here's hoping for the Maori one ($10,000) but would be happy with either!

musica209

Deuce.
I applied for the 'Leaders of Tomorrow' and 'Maori and Pacific Islander' Scholarships. Here's hoping for the Maori one ($10,000) but would be happy with either!

You're a lucky man. I wish you all the best for the Maori scholarship! That is a lot of good money :) what's your academic resumé like? Are you applying for Med through the Maori/Pacific Islanders pathway? (Sorry, not sure of the right terminology for this...) If you're not, you definitely should! There are absolutely no disadvantages in applying through it, I hear :)

All the best!

richardms

You're a lucky man. I wish you all the best for the Maori scholarship! That is a lot of good money :) what's your academic resumé like? Are you applying for Med through the Maori/Pacific Islanders pathway? (Sorry, not sure of the right terminology for this...) If you're not, you definitely should! There are absolutely no disadvantages in applying through it, I hear :)

All the best!

Thanks musica209! I plan to apply for Med 2014 under the Maori pathway. I'd be silly not to. All the best to you too!

richardms

Good on you! :) what did you put down in your application for Leaders of Tomorrow? (If you don't mind me asking...)

I just put how I'm Deputy Head-Boy and the associated jobs with that post. I really am not expecting to get the LoT scholarship, but my fingers are crossed for MaPI! What did you put down?

musica209

Deuce.
I just put how I'm Deputy Head-Boy and the associated jobs with that post. I really am not expecting to get the LoT scholarship, but my fingers are crossed for MaPI! What did you put down?

Woo DHP! You'll be fine for both scholarships, I reckon :)

I put down school prefect, class prefect, peer leader... school council, member of some committee... I can't actually remember too clearly because I applied for the performance one too. I put down music as my Performance, but people who have applied and have or have not gotten the scholarship in the past tell me that I'm unlikely to get that scholarship unless I do music as a paper/major in uni :'(

Hey, did anyone get any scholarships this year?? I thought I was in for a very good chance for the Leaders of Tomorrow but I didn't get anything :( Anyone else have any more luck? (and does anyone have any idea when the Auckland scholarships are being announced?) :)

inflow

Hey, did anyone get any scholarships this year?? I thought I was in for a very good chance for the Leaders of Tomorrow but I didn't get anything :( Anyone else have any more luck? (and does anyone have any idea when the Auckland scholarships are being announced?) :)

I got the leaders of tommorow scholarship. (2013)

Last edited:
hey guys! I dont' know how relevant my question is on this thread lol but has anyone tried applying for the med scholarships from the medical department? What are the chances of getting it in terms of grades etc.. Also, how detailed must the CV be...?

frootloop

Doctor
I think a lot of the subject scholarships are just given to the people who perform the best in that part of the exams. There are quite a few other ones, but in general you've got to be a Maori female who already gets the student allowance before you're eligible for them.

[OFFTOPIC] Slight exaggeration, although most of them do have gender and/or race and/or SES criteria. I am of course just bitter that for once being a white male with middle-class parents ended up being a disadvantage, haha [/OFFTOPIC]

Status
Not open for further replies.