Overkill

Status
Not open for further replies.
he slept through it in favour for a wet dream

good choice i say...

Jono

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Dude, don't insult my sheduling abilities. I've never had one of them in my life! (somebody needs to give robbo early access to the shoutbox, this is ridiculous! :p)

anarchron

Originally posted by robbo_drinks@Jun 5 2007, 12:05 AM
For all those VCE/UMAT sitters

don't stress, the best thing you can do as prep for the UMAT is know what you're in for, look at some practice questions and don't be surprised when you get in there.

apart from that, there's nothing you can do apart from eating a big breakfast and being in the right state of mind.
good luck
[snapback]43707[/snapback]​

Actually, don't have a big breakfast. I had one just before the morning session and I was feeling so bloated and sleepy during the UMAT.

anarchron

Originally posted by erintat@Jun 5 2007, 03:18 PM
are you allowed sugar in the umat?
[snapback]43786[/snapback]​

I had Chrysantaneum Tea in the UMAT. That drew quite a few stares :p

Originally posted by anarchron@Jun 5 2007, 05:22 AM
I had Chrysantaneum Tea in the UMAT. That drew quite a few stares :p
[snapback]43788[/snapback]​

I had a wobbly table to play with and a lovely nape of the person in front of me's neck to look at. That drew quite a few stares from the invigilators :p

And I didn't think they allowed food, but any fluid a clear, de-labelled container is fine! But then you might need to rush to the toilet at some point :O that was my greatest fear ;)

And and and my money on the issue at hand: I didn't study, but reading comprehension is probably beneficial and patterns can be learnt if I had been bothered. But I'm pedantic about following the "true spirit" of things, so since it is a test that you're theoretically unable to prepare for, I didn't! I do read everything I can get my hands on though, but I was still surprised (and thus wobbled my desk annoyingly in my shock) to find extracts from articles or books that I had read in the test. Which distracted me actually in section 2 as I tried to remember the situation the characters were in prior to the extract :) which led to daydreaming...maybe I did need sugar :)

Don't study! Read random things and you'll already know the answers :p

Originally posted by anarchron@Jun 5 2007, 03:17 PM
Actually, don't have a big breakfast. I had one just before the morning session and I was feeling so bloated and sleepy during the UMAT.
[snapback]43785[/snapback]​

pay no heed to that ridiculous advice
if you want to be hypoglycaemic and ketotic in the UMAT then by all means don't eat breakfast, but it's a fukn 3 hour exam, you're gonna need sustenance...

complicated

Add on to that the ~2hr wait for exam to begin, and you have one very very long wait till your next meal!

Have a decent breakfast, one that will last you the distance, but won't be difficult to digest.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

AussieChica

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Eat breakfast just not big one.

This is not a product placement or anything but low GI foods like Milo etc. would be great. Weet Bix. Weet Bix with Milo. IDK lol. But think long burning energy. And if you need to, bring some glucose into the exam with you.

PLEASE make sure you sleep well the night before.

anarchron

Originally posted by robbo_drinks@Jun 5 2007, 07:52 PM
pay no heed to that ridiculous advice
if you want to be hypoglycaemic and ketotic in the UMAT then by all means don't eat breakfast, but it's a fukn 3 hour exam, you're gonna need sustenance...
[snapback]43803[/snapback]​

Why? Did you run to the UMAT testing centre? As far as I know, you've got to burn off alot of glycogen before the body switches to fat. In this case, much longer than 5 hours. You're not going to be hypoglycemic in 5 hours, unless of course if you're diabetic.

Hayden

Getting busier
Emeritus Staff
Yeah unless you're in an altered metabolic state, your glycogen stores will keep you going for the three hours.

Just have a normal breakfast.

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
haha, so is it all med schools that start off with metabolism or just UWS and UMelb..... *goes back to studying type 1 diabetes*

anarchron

We actually haven't really done anything in particular at UMelb for the first semester. It's like Med 101 with every damn discipline chucked in for good measure.

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Well, we're meant to be doing the same sort of stuff and basically we've done and Intro to the human body, nutrition and metabolism and a bit of pharmacology. Although, we do PBLs quicker.... have you gone through the starvation and diabetes PBLs yet?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Originally posted by Veon@Jun 3 2007, 08:48 PM
We get like 40 seconds per question for section 1, don't we?
That's an incredibly small amount of time to make a decision, especially considering some of the slabs of info we have to read through.
I think the best piece of advice anyone has given me regarding the umat is 'rush it!'.
[snapback]43584[/snapback]​

Actually, that's not too bad in terms of advice. exactly what i did when i realised i forgot how much time there was for each question. felt the epinephrine rush too.

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
surely you mean adrenaline

Matt

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Originally posted by AussieChica@Jun 5 2007, 10:10 PM
adrenaline in australia ;)

lol i love how med studentsy this forum is :)

and yes we've covered metabolism in depth too. sigh, good old (prof) dunkley :)
[snapback]43822[/snapback]​

Hehe, I don't know about that guy. I've fallen asleep in 75% of the lectures he's given us.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
epinephrine :p which I shall from now on continue to refer to as epinephrine.

Status
Not open for further replies.