Paramedic career routes and options

Discussion in 'Other alternatives' started by Thom, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Thom

Thom New Member

Hi.

i apologise as there are probably loads of threads on this, but accessing and searching the forum on my mobile phone with crappy signal doesn't help, so thought this would be quicker.

I'm hoping to apply for uni soon (UTAS - Sydney) to complete the Paramedic degree.
    upon qualification, can anyone in NSW advise on the career paths / training / development of a paramedic career. Also what is the average salary after the night penalties etc have been loaded on to the base salary?

Apart from NSW Ambulance, I've been told a good option upon completion of the degree is a FIFO Paramedic in the mining industry in WA.
    Does anyone have any insights to this or what other training etc may be required to do this?

cheers in advance.

2. perthmale

perthmale Regular Member

All the information on career paths and shift penalties should be available on the NSW ambulance website, and also in WA, is available on the St Johns ambulance website.

FIFO is a good option, but before even going near FIFO, I would advise that you have at least 5 years on-road paramedic experience, and a lot of the companies look for this. Just remember lots of paramedics and nurses do fifo in both WA and QLD, and with declining mining sector, will be competition for jobs. If you look at the jobs you will see necessary certs and qualifications, i.e. industrial, breathing apparatus, ropes course etc.