Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

PATH 300 levels

Has anyone done both PATH301 and PATH302? I want to know what the internal assessments are like and the difficulty of the papers.

gains

I can’t recommend 302 highly enough. It’s really challenging but amazing content and lecturers- don’t shy away if you’re going for med as taking the easy way out is just a waste!

blastoff

Hey there! I'm definitely going to take both path papers next year, but would also be interested in a little bit about the papers. What are the internal assessments like? Also I have no BIOC or GENE background how would you rate 302 in terms of difficulty?

Morty12

PATH302 internals are quite fairly marked In my opinion. This year it consisted of lab quizzes, a lab report and an essay. The lab report trips a lot of people up, but as long as you put the time in, no reason you can't do really well!

AdsR

Has anyone done both PATH301 and PATH302? I want to know what the internal assessments are like and the difficulty of the papers.
PATH 301 (2019) was easier than PATH 201 (2018) imo. There are two main written assessments (lab report style), another internal where you learn to design your primers for PCR which is easy enough and has step by step instructions for.

Hey there! I'm definitely going to take both path papers next year, but would also be interested in a little bit about the papers. What are the internal assessments like? Also I have no BIOC or GENE background how would you rate 302 in terms of difficulty?
Ive only done PATH 301 and the lab contained a lot of PCR which the class thought was boring, but the content requires more critical thinking rather than memorization. The class sizes for 300 level are very small (for example only around ~10 people turned up for lectures live, while others livestreamed). This was because PATH201 was quite hard and a lot of people were put off by doing it. But like i said, 301 was easier than the 201 paper. I liked the small classes because its easier to participate

For any other questions feel free to hit me up :)

Hey, I was wondering if you could give a run down on content in and prior knowledge required for PATH201, MICR major but super interested in this paper for 2020!

AdsR

Hey, I was wondering if you could give a run down on content in and prior knowledge required for PATH201, MICR major but super interested in this paper for 2020!

I did PATH 201 in 2018 when it was still 2.5 lectures per week, its now 2/wk so im sure its a bit easier or atleast better organised. The whole immunity stuff from hubs is important, having a strong grasp on anatomy (gross, cell and tissue) is helpful in general, and for the cancer and developmental disorder module the stuff from bioc 221 and genetics is helpful. I reckon the people who fare better are the micr and anatomy majors.
The paper content is organised like the recommended textbook which you should try to read and pick out the key concepts.

Knowing every minutiae in the lectures might help with the terms test with the mcq’s, but it depends on the lecturer setting the question. Some questions are simple (e.g anatomical planes, ikr stupid), some require thinking (like: how long does it take for an atherosclerotic plaque to develop; and only one option was in a time frame), and some ask for factual information “which Th # cells are believed to be involved in Sjögren’s syndrome ”.
In the final exams its all about writing essays so you dont have to learn everything but the key concepts for each topic. This is easy enough to prepare for you just keep answering previous year’s questions.

Lastly be interested and want to learn about it.

blastoff

I did Path201 this year as an INIM major and I honestly can't recommend it enough! It was one of my favorite papers for sure. There has been 2 modules cut since 2018 so I believe that its a pretty manageable paper nowadays. The lectures are super interesting, we covered immunology, blood, cardiology, cancer, genetics and respiratory and I felt they tied in pretty well with my MICR papers (some friends doing PHSL also thought it went well with their papers)

It is good to have a pretty basic knowledge form hubs (heart has 4 chambers, mucociliary escalator that kind of stuff) but I would say they taught us pretty much everything we needed. I think it definitely helped me doing the immunology section in MICR too though! I'm sure BIOC221 would help with the cancer/genetics stuff but I didn't feel disadvantaged not having done it either

The internal assessments are not too bad (was my best paper internally) Lab exit tests, a report, and a mid-sem (This hit a few people pretty hard but its right after the break so heaps of time to study). You also never have to stay super late in the lab so don't worry about the 4hr thing!

And it is pretty easy to selectively study for the exam if you wish to do so and the whole thing is either or essays.

Overall I got a similar or better grade in comparison with my other papers so it's definitely achievable and I would highly encourage you to do it!!