Pathways to dentistry

Discussion in 'General Dentistry Discussion' started by Ehab Raed, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Ehab Raed

Ehab Raed New Member

hi guys , iam currently doing pathology diploma at Tafe and I am going to finish it next Dec and I am interested about doing dentistry , what pathways would u suggest to me .Also I want to tell you that I don't have HSC as I am refugee here . Pls provide me with easiest and fastest way to dentistry , iam bit concerned about B. oral health will u recommended it to me ?
    Thank

2. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    Welcome to MSO. Without HSC/ATAR you will need to do at least one year of uni first (any uni any degree) then use its GPA to apply for Dentistry. I think there are three possible pathways for you:

1) Do one year (GPA 6.2+ to be competitive) + sit UMAT and apply to UQ, CSU, LaTrobe, JCU (JCU doesn't require UMAT but a good written application)
    2) GPA 6.8+ apply to Griffith, no UMAT no interview
    3) Complete a 3-year undergrad degree + sit GAMSAT and apply to the graduate schools like USyd, UMelb, UWA

Best wishes for your endeavour.

Ehab Raed and JMP Lova like this.
  3. Ehab Raed

Ehab Raed New Member

hi mate ,
    thank you for the value info , doing a year at uni then with a umat is a kind of risk as is not guarantee u to get a high umat mark , however will you encourage me to do bachelor of oral health as future carrier as well as a pathway to dental science ?
    thank mate

4. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    The only B Oral Health that leads to an assured Dentistry place is at Griffith. You need to get ATAR 99.5+ or GPA 6.8+ to get into this course.

Otherwise you would need to sit UMAT/GAMSAT where it is required, regardless of your undergrad course/degree. So choose one that would give you a suitable career if you can't make into Dentistry. I don't know enough to comment on job prospects for B Oral Health, sorry.

Ehab Raed likes this.
  5. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer (UNDS MBBS) Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    If you are looking to be a dental hygienist or dental therapist (i.e. you would be happy with this career pathway if you never got into dentistry) then doing a B.Oral Health with the relevant majors is a reasonable choice of degree.

On the other hand, if you have no intention of ever being a dental hygienist or dental therapist, then this is probably not the degree for you.

Ehab Raed likes this.
  6. firstsnow

firstsnow New Member

Did anyone get into Bachelor of dental health science at Griffith university? If so, what was your gpa?

7. Ehab Raed

Ehab Raed New Member

i do have a friend who is studying dental health science at griffith uni he was studying B. of medical science at WSU ,his GPA was 6.8/7.

8. firstsnow

firstsnow New Member

oh ok, cause i am currently at usyd and its quite hard to get a high gpa. Like around 6 is only possible so i was wondering even if i don't get offered in the first round, possibly i can either in the 2nd or 3rd

9. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    It may be more useful for you to check out Paging Dr (graduate Med and Dent website). There will be more data in their archives around what GPAs are generally required for the various courses.

10. KRO

KRO Regular Member

I believe the lowest the GPA requirement has dropped to in recent years in the later round offers was around 6.7. As LMG! alludes to, you will probably need to consider the graduate entry pathway and sit GAMSAT (if you haven’t already considered this) or perhaps sitting UMAT and doing dent at UQ is also an option for you (Yamster might have more to add).

11. firstsnow

firstsnow New Member

ok, i just wanted to ask specifically about the new grifth course for dental

12. Yamster

Yamster Dental Student Moderator

Hey Snowflake101! It's good to see you on the forums again, I hope that you have been well.

The minimum I've heard for entry into Griffith's Dentistry program in 2018 was a GPA of 6.75, the year before that was 6.71, and the year before that was 6.66 (if my memory serves me correctly). The entrance score for this course slowly creeps up each year. GU dentistry has one of the highest GPA requirements of all the undergrad dentistry courses as they do not use the UMAT for the application process.

If you have a GPA of around 6.5, you can apply for UQ dentistry, if you've a GPA of around 6 you can apply to either UAdel or LaTrobe or if it's around 5.5 to 6, consider applying to CSU. The cut-off's for these universities are lower seeing as they use the UMAT to cull applicants.

I wish you all the best with your academic goals. :)

- Yamster

13. firstsnow

firstsnow New Member

For CSU i heard that if you do another degree in that uni you can transfer to dental without having to do the umat. Is that true? If so, do you think the gpa is high? has anyone gone like that?

14. Yamster

Yamster Dental Student Moderator

Yes, you are indeed correct. CSU does not require UMAT for students which apply for internal transfer within CSU. Unfortunately, however, we don't have much information on the type of GPA required for this to occur. It should be noted that as of next year, 50% of the BDentSc spots at CSU are reserved for rural/Aboriginal students. I've written a more detailed post here: Dentistry Entry Discussion and Questions 2019

I've always wondered how you were going, snowflake101. It is good to see you around again and I hope that we do see more of you on here.

If you have any other questions, you are more than welcome to ask.

pi likes this.