Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Pathways to Dentistry

Welcome to MSO. Without HSC/ATAR you will need to do at least one year of uni first (any uni any degree) then use its GPA to apply for Dentistry. I think there are three possible pathways for you:

1) Do one year (GPA 6.2+ to be competitive) + sit UMAT and apply to UQ, CSU, LaTrobe, JCU (JCU doesn't require UMAT but a good written application)
2) GPA 6.8+ apply to Griffith, no UMAT no interview
3) Complete a 3-year undergrad degree + sit GAMSAT and apply to the graduate schools like USyd, UMelb, UWA

Best wishes for your endeavour.
Hi has those pathways changed since 2018? Im currently in year 11 doing VCE can you please tell me pathways i can take

These pathways are still available with a change that Griffith Dent now requires UCAT.

But being a school leaver doing VCE next year you have many more options available
> UPDATED Dentistry Schools Selection Criteria Y12s & Non-standards
Im thinking of doing a bachelor of science but joining in the mid-year intake, is there universities for dentistry or medicine that takes mid-year intakes using the graduate non-standard pathway (gpa, ucat etc)

Im thinking of doing a bachelor of science but joining in the mid-year intake, is there universities for dentistry or medicine that takes mid-year intakes using the graduate non-standard pathway (gpa, ucat etc)
I have corrected your post to nonstandard pathway. Graduate pathway is applicable when you've reached the final undergrad year, which is 3-4 years away and requires GAMSAT.

There's no mid-year intake for med or dent afaik. Considering you're currently Year 11, if you start BSc mid-year 2025 theoretically you can apply non-standard in 2025 for med/dent 2026 intake. But reality is one-semester GPA is severely penalised relative to full-year. So you can only be competitive in 2026 applying for 2027 intake. (Adjust for a year earlier if you meant BSc mid-year 2024).

I have corrected your post to nonstandard pathway. Graduate pathway is applicable when you've reached the final undergrad year, which is 3-4 years away and requires GAMSAT.

There's no mid-year intake for med or dent afaik. Considering you're currently Year 11, if you start BSc mid-year 2025 theoretically you can apply non-standard in 2025 for med/dent 2026 intake. But reality is one-semester GPA is severely penalised relative to full-year. So you can only be competitive in 2026 applying for 2027 intake. (Adjust for a year earlier if you meant BSc mid-year 2024).
Bond (medicine) intakes are May and September I believe. That said, applications are still much earlier in the year (including for the September intake) and, well, it’s expensive.

Damn thats tough, Im only doing the mid-year intake because I have to do a maths methods course before I can do the Bachelor of Science, what do you think is the best option for me, option 1: do the methods course and apply for mid-year intake then apply for dent/med in 2027 or have a gap year while doing the methods course and apply for the start year intake in 2026.

Damn thats tough, Im only doing the mid-year intake because I have to do a maths methods course before I can do the Bachelor of Science, what do you think is the best option for me, option 1: do the methods course and apply for mid-year intake then apply for dent/med in 2027 or have a gap year while doing the methods course and apply for the start year intake in 2026.
Ask the uni whether you can do a short bridging course for maths somewhere. Then you can start the BSc in Feb 2025 and apply for med/dent 2026 intake.

Ask the uni whether you can do a short bridging course for maths somewhere. Then you can start the BSc in Feb 2025 and apply for med/dent 2026 intake.
the course is after February meaning I will have to miss the start-year entry. I still dont know if i should do a gap year or if i should join in the mid-year intake

the course is after February meaning I will have to miss the start-year entry. I still dont know if i should do a gap year or if i should join in the mid-year intake
Ask the uni whether you can do/complete this course and be eligible for starting the BSc in Feb 2025
> Subject Search

This MA0020 can be done online/external in Nov-Dec 2024.

Ask the uni whether you can do/complete this course and be eligible for starting the BSc in Feb 2025
> Subject Search

Do I have to go to Queensland for the course? or can it be done here in melbourne or online

Edited by LMG to bold information already included in reply from A1!

> Subject Search

they said i cant do that

A1 sorry to annoy you but what do you think I should do? and is it possible to get into Bachelor of Science at unimelb without having to waste time for me?

Last edited by a moderator:

Back