Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

PhD to Medical School

Scarface

Although this may invite mostly 'other category' discussions, I just want to create a forum for PhD students/graduates.

My first question is, is it true that PhD is equivalent to a GPA of 9 or 7 depending on the country as there's no gpa in PhD.

Stuart

Administrator
Emeritus Staff
It would be nice get the GPA story confirmed. I have heard that they don't actually consider the GPA for PhD's but rather they consider what you studied/what you have achieved + experience, of course. Again, I don't know for sure. I had a PhD (current medical student in NZ) friend but I don't remember them telling me about the automatic GPA 9...

(Otago University, NZ)

Last edited:

Scarface

It would be nice get the GPA story confirmed. I have heard that they don't actually consider the GPA for PhD's but rather they consider what you studied/what you have achieved + experience, of course. Again, I don't know for sure. I had a PhD (current medical student in NZ) friend but I don't remember them telling me about the automatic GPA 9...
Thanks, would you say it is the most secure way to get into medicine not saying that you should take this long protracted route but say for someone who had a career change

A1

Rookie Doc
My first question is, is it true that PhD is equivalent to a GPA of 9 or 7 depending on the country as there's no gpa in PhD.

Depends which uni you apply to. From this website > http://www.gemsas.edu.au/category/faq/gpa-calculations/

"Griffith will calculate a GPA including a Masters by coursework if this degree has been completed at the time of Application. Griffith will also allocate an overall GPA of 7:00 for completed PhD’s and a 7:00 for each full time year of a completed Masters by Research."

A1

Rookie Doc
Meaning that, Griffiths would regard PhD as 7 gpa and if that's the case what is the required GAMSAT

I'm not sure of GU's process in particular, but if typically by a combination of GPA+GAMSAT+Interview then PhD would give a head start over those with 6.x GPA but still much dependent on the other two components.

Dinahlady

At Otago if you have a PhD you have to go through "other" category and they base their entrance much more on other factors (statement, interview, experience) than if you have a pHD. All the people I know in med who have pHDs also have post-doctoral experience (could be coincidence) but also know nurses in their 20s who have got in through other category.

In Aus I'm pretty sure it's more numerical than that and GPA is the highest weighting (7) and might even carry extra bonus marks.

If it were me I would try to volunteer (or go and train) as something like an ambo officer and get 3 or 4 years experience in that rather than spend 3 or 4 years (usually closer to 4) in a lab doing a pHD.

Dinah's right re. Otago: PhD is just one component of an "other category" application. Although it's a pretty impressive component to have.

My understanding is that PhD is automatic max GPA for Auckland. @Winston83 should be able to confirm though...

This is all from memory re. Auck... you still need to complete the first year or equivalent, and you still need to meet the UMAT threshold/ interview

Again @Winston83 knows from experience as should be able to confirm

Winston83

^^^ yep, can confirm you get a 9 GPA at Auckland with a PhD, but still have the same UMAT, interview and first year papers (or equivalent) as everyone else.

Sevda

I have a PhD and going to apply for dentistry . I talked with both Griffih and UQ. Griffith said because of my PhD I am very competitive and they recommended me to apply. UQ also said to me that I do not need an OP and my PhD studies is equal to an OP of >99. hope this information help.

Sevda

Although this may invite mostly 'other category' discussions, I just want to create a forum for PhD students/graduates.

Do you have a PhD?