Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Physiotherapy

Hi,
From my current study situation, I find that I am able to get into both medicine and physiotherapy but I am not quite sure which career pathways are more suitable for me.

I have a few questions relating to physiotherapy so any advice would be appreciated :)
  • Do you actually enjoy the content of your physiotherapy lectures/degree?
  • What is your study AND like?
  • What do you do as a physiotherapist?
  • What are advantages and disadvantages of your job?
  • What is the salary?

It would be really helpful if you can list as many details as possible.

I'm a cheerful person and love talking as well as making friends with people. Love to smile and love to do a job that you can move around. Love to see people happy and help other people. I think physiotherapy maybe a suitable job for me but I haven't heard many people talking about physiotherapist job so unsure.

Thanks for any advice ahead!

Last edited:

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Medicine and physiotherapy lend themselves to a lot of similar patient contact as well as anatomy and physiology.

Mind you, although I have no personal experience studying physiotherapy, don't assume that it's a walk in the park.

Hi,

Yes, I'm really awared of the heavy workload from the course. I'm doing Health Science First Year from Otago now. Since there are not a lot of posts about physiotherapy, I just want to figure which options match my personailty more.

Kat92

(Student BNurs WSU). Hopeful for JMP
I worked as an assistant to physiotherapists on one of my AHA placements and I can tell you the physio's put in enormous hours, planned lots of programs i.e. hydrotherapy, group exercises, saw rehab patients, went to client's homes, attended morning roundings, created their own custom CAM boots and were involved in a lot of the mechanisms of physiology and some anatomy.

speugin

Hi,
From my current study situation, I find that I am able to get into both medicine and physiotherapy but I am not quite sure which career pathways are more suitable for me.

I have a few questions relating to physiotherapy so any advice would be appreciated :)
  • Do you actually enjoy the content of your physiotherapy lectures/degree?
  • What is your study AND like?
  • What do you do as a physiotherapist?
  • What are advantages and disadvantages of your job?
  • What is the salary?

It would be really helpful if you can list as many details as possible.

I'm a cheerful person and love talking as well as making friends with people. Love to smile and love to do a job that you can move around. Love to see people happy and help other people. I think physiotherapy maybe a suitable job for me but I haven't heard many people talking about physiotherapist job so unsure.

Thanks for any advice ahead!

Hey Swimmingpotato! I'm in my final year of physiotherapy and can help shed some light about the degree:

1. I do enjoy physio as a whole but definitely not all of it. I went into physio thinking it'll all be musculoskeletal/sports (MSK) work but it's really not. There are 2 other fields, namely: cardiopulmonary (CP) and neurology. Out of those 3, I enjoy CP and neuro a lot more than MSK. I guess it's just more medical and when you go on placement at hospitals, you're working more closely with the medical team in those 2 fields and need to interpret medical reports, bloods (ABGs), x-ray findings, and utilise interventions that have an underlying physiological role.
2. Study is pretty full on- it's a full on course load with lots of intense study hours. It certainly not a walk in the park. Many hours are put into research and finding the most current evidence based practice to justify interventions and help write essays (critical appraisals, systematic reviews etc). That's just the study side of it- which I actually enjoy quite a lot. Then there is the placement component where you're applying what you've been taught at uni in a clinical setting with an actual patient caseload. Personally, I find getting high marks easier with completing uni subjects than on placement because a certain level of subjectivity comes into play when your clinical educator marks your performance at the end.
3. Average salary as a new graduate physiotherapist is around $60,000. This depends on whether you work in a private practice or hospital setting- private practice tends to pay more.

Honestly, if you enjoy making a positive impact and like to see daily changes in someone's function I think physiotherapy is an amazing career path. It's highly rewarding however the work hours are very long and it is a pretty labour intensive job- especially if you work in the stroke rehabilitation ward. If you're trying to transfer into medicine, aim to get a high gpa in the first 2 years of the degree as it may be quite difficult the final 2 years due to harder marking criteria imposed on clinical placements.

Seano

Thanks, I'll check that. I am just not sure how good is ACU compare to other universities. I have done Math 3u & 4U, chem, and physics for hsc.

I've just finished my second year of physio at ACU and can help answer any questions you have about ACU or physio as a degree. (From what I've heard from many different people is that employers specifically seek ACU graduates so don't feel worried about the lack of job opportunities if you start studying at ACU).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
thank you so much. I will really appreciate it if you could find it!

The bottom of the first page covers this.

Anna12299

The bottom of the first page covers this.
Thank you! Due to my religion i am not allowed to show skin, what do i do?

I know of a case where a group of girls who, due to their religion (Islamic adherents), were allowed to complete the massage activities etc by going to a separate room/behind the building
But otherwise, I'm not too sure what the case would be if you can't show skin at all no matter the gender
Best option would be to contact the coordinator :))

Anna12299

I know of a case where a group of girls who, due to their religion (Islamic adherents), were allowed to complete the massage activities etc by going to a separate room/behind the building
But otherwise, I'm not too sure what the case would be if you can't show skin at all no matter the gender
Best option would be to contact the coordinator :))
Thank you so much. I think i am able to show my skin to girls but not boys