Please help me decide my future?

Discussion in 'Other alternatives' started by Vermicelle, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Vermicelle

Vermicelle New Member

Hi,
    Firstly, I would like to apologise if I posted this in the wrong forum section or if I am not allowed to make this thread... :cry:
    However, if all is good, I would like to ask you guys for advice on what I should do this year.
    Situation: My ATAR is ~98.5 + UMAT 70-80 + eligible for the ACCESS disadvantaged scheme + I've received a main round offer for nursing @ UTS, however my eyes are still definitely on medicine (but dentistry and optom is okay too, I guess). I stupidly forgot to add Optom to my UAC preferences list - however I just added it, maybe hoping to be considered for the late rounds (don't think that'll happen though :lol:)
    Pathways:
    1) Gap year: go to Casey College and complete a Certificate III in Aged Care and/or participate in the Plunge program @ Morling Bible College ... then try out for the Medicine/Dentistry/Optom
    [TABLE="class: grid, width: 500"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Pros[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]Cons[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]* Keep my ATAR (my ATAR not that great though, compared to other students + I'm not sure if this is true though :unsure:)
    * Experience new things in the community @ Bible College; have a feel of what nursing is like
    * Gain a certificate in something at the end[/TD]
    [TD]* Waste of a year if I fail @ UMAT + interview and don't get into the course I want
    * $$$[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    2) Do Nursing and continuously try out for Med/Dent/Optom
    [TABLE="class: grid, width: 500, align: left"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: center"]Pros[/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]Cons[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]* Almost-definite job at the end (I come from a poor family so this is kind of important)
    * Better understanding of how the hospital system works + patient contact
    [/TD]
    [TD]* $$$
    * My ATAR doesn't count anymore + what happens if I fail @ Nursing and don't get the marks required for those courses
    * Nursing is not what I want to do in the future, as a career until I retire
    * UMAT/interview required again
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

I'm sure there are more reasons to add to both of these pros/cons list ... :mellow: hopefully I can think of more. Kind of sad at the moment.
    Any input you would like to give on my dilemma? Thanks for your help ^_^

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. Dsquall

Dsquall Regular Member

I'm not sure if taking a gap year makes you a 'non-school leaver' (doing a degree definitely does) but you should be aware that once you are a non-school leaver some medical schools close their doors to you (no idea about optom/dent).

If it were the case that taking a gap year makes you a non-school leaver you might want to consider repeating year 12 (pretty extreme thing to do but if I were you and I really wanted to maximise my chances as much as possible, it's what I would do).

Also, not all universities will discount your ATAR simply because you've started university (I know UNSW and UNCLE/UNE don't), that said if you don't get a very high GPA (in the event you take up nursing) that might hurt your prospects considerably.

But apart from that you've pretty much got down the pros and cons of both, good luck! (also try out http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au/f64/discussion-topic-1-back-up-plan-14393/ pretty solid link)

3. vivianshang

vivianshang New Member

Going to Morling sounds like a great idea - first time I've heard of the program! You can also consider Year 13 Gap Year run by Youthworks.

4. Mana

Mana Resident Medical Officer (UNDS MBBS) Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    Do you want to do nursing as a career?

If the answer is no, then you should not be putting nursing down as a preference.

Your ATAR is more than enough to get into medicine - all you need is a good enough UMAT and interview.

My recommendation would be to take a year off study and go and find work and relevant life experience, as well as prepare for the UMAT again. This means that:

a) you don't close off universities such as Adelaide and Monash who don't accept you once you've done a year of uni
    b) you don't have to work hard to get a good GPA to apply for med (as your ATAR will suffice)
    c) you get straight into medicine rather than waiting three years of nursing which you didn't want to do anyway as a career
    d) you get valuable life experience as well as a year's worth of income to help support yourself through university (and possibly independence if you work enough -> more Centrelink payment).

I should note that a certificate 3 in aged care DOES COUNT as a tertiary qualification and thus you should be aware of this for Adelaide and Monash.

5. Vermicelle

Vermicelle New Member

Oh wow I definitely did not know that. Thank you so much for informing me.
    Does "Certificate IV in Ministry" count as a tertiary qualification then?

6. Vermicelle

Vermicelle New Member

Thanks

Thank you all for your advice! I still have much considering to do :cry:
    I am currently leaning towards nursing - however, mainly worried about not achieving a high enough GPA in uni + UMAT :mellow:
    Any input is still appreciated :lol:

7. pi

pi Junior doctor Administrar

Junior doctor
    I was under the assumption that only Cert IV counts as tertiary? :/

Personally I think the Gap Year is a good idea. Your ATAR is a *little* low, but still well in the range for med selection. I would definitely have a look at re-doing the UMAT and re-applying for JCU this year :)

8. clark24

clark24 New Member

Let's see if I can help you decide your future where you will have to spend the rest of your life. First of all, your strengths and interests far outweigh the weaknesses you cited. That's a plus! Don't worry about choosing the exact career you would like for the future just now. Work hard on expending time and energies in gaining competencies on the BODY, MIND and SPIRIT continuum. Thus, it might be wise to choose a liberal arts college for your undergraduate work. That will give you ample time to choose how you want to make a contribution to society via a career in the world of work. Take care and God Bless .

9. Bernard

Bernard User

Vocational Certificates I to IV are certainly post-secondary; but, rather than anyone assume anything, why not simply ask someone whose primary purpose, at least at this juncture in life, is to answer a simply question as to admissions or the consideration of a Certificate IV (e.g., admissions officers at universities or independent bodies)?

Although the AQF explicitly states that Certificates are post-secondary quals., it does not expressly make it known whether it is in fact a tertiary qual. and your (OP's) status is thus unclear.

Vermicelle, now that it's been more than half a year since this thread was created, has this been resolved?

10. depressedchild

depressedchild New Member

Would also like to know what you ended choosing! :)

11. xxDanniixx

xxDanniixx New Member

Morling doesn't sound bad, I would do it