Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Please post your 2013 offer! =D

Oh my god! Can't believe it! I just got an offer from GU for Oral Health Program! So excited to go!
I would like to say a big thank you to everyone that helped me on this forum. I couldn't have done it without you guys' help! Thanks!:lol:

I'm also curious if anyone else have recieved their offer to their dream school. If so, please post them out and we can get to know each other more!

As well, if anyone have any questions, feel free to PM me, I'm also happy to help since I got all the help from other members on this forum when I needed them the most! =D

Also, good luck to the ones who are still desperately waiting! Just believe in yourself and I'm sure you guys will make it!

mighty

Congrats on getting into dent!!! Have you done a happy dance yet? I remember when I got my offer I did a victory lap around the block haha.
So are you defs going to Griffith or are you going to wait for offers from other unis?

Hi mighty! Haha, I almost screamed my lungs out! =D So excited, and today's also my 18th birthday. It's the greatest birthday ever!! I pretty much have my heart set on GU since my chance is ver slim with UQ. With JCU, I heard the living expense is very expensive, also the temperture is pretty high there. Not sure I'm suited for living in high temp. =( I thought about CSU, but I never actually started the application and the interview process seems really scary..so..haha

mighty

Awwww, that's so awesome! What an amazing bday present indeed. Happy birthday! :lol:

JCU living expenses aren't that expensive, they'll be cheaper than GU (or, at least, they should be).

Haha, dw the interview process isn't *that* bad and AFAIK, you only have to do a Skype interview? CSU only just started accepting international students recently so I think you'll stand a good chance of getting in if you apply :)

But congrats all the same!! :)

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
Congrats! You have been around here for a while so it is extra special. Now you have 50 posts, get your ass on hatbox.

Thanks Mighty and Muse. You guys helped me a lot and I really appreciated! =D
JCU's living expense is cheaper than GU? Oh really? I though it's the exact opposite..but I think gold coast is a bigger city so there might be more to explore! =D I really to want to go to CSU if not GU. The small class size is very appealing to me. But the interview..ahhh..>_<
Hmm..what's hat box? o_O

PS: on my offer, it saids I still have to meet an average of a 98%. I'm assuming they meant my final grade. problem is, they said accepting offer and getting into the program is a first come first serve thing. The earliest I can get my final transcript is towards the end of Aug. which scares me..Man..I mean..who knows how many people will accept their offer within 2 month..What am I suppose to do? T_T

longbow

As far as I know, no international applicant within Australia will receive their final results before December. So you don't have to worry about it.

mighty

JCU's living expense is cheaper than GU? Oh really? I though it's the exact opposite..
In any case the costs should be relatively similar; it'll be ~$13500 AUD for a catered place in Cairns, and ~$12000-14000 for just student accommodation in the GC.

I really to want to go to CSU if not GU. The small class size is very appealing to me. But the interview..ahhh..>_<
Hehe, well it's only a Skype interview for you so it's not all that bad! And you don't really have much to lose by trying out for CSU since you've already got a spot at Griffith to fall back on if you don't make it at CSU! It's definitely worth a shot :)

[offtopic]
Hmm..what's hat box? o_O
Just a little live chatroom at the bottom of each page where members can casually chat that you gain access to when you've got 50 posts. :)[/offtopic]

Thanks Longbow, glad to hear that! what a relief!

Oh mighty, you are always so helpful! thanks! XD
Could you provide me with some insight regarding the two city, gold coast and carins? all I know so far is that gold coast have a better climate, and it rains less. To me, this is definitely a plus. Do you know any other highlights about two cities that outsiders like myself may not know?
Hmm..then I'll think about CSU. Maybe do some more dental shadowing work this summer and apply there! =D

PS: I'm starting to see the chatbox! Feels special XD

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Congratulations on your offer :)

I definitely agree with mighty. Keep applying for others as back ups and see which one is more suitable for you :)

mighty

Oh mighty, you are always so helpful! thanks! XD
Could you provide me with some insight regarding the two city, gold coast and carins? all I know so far is that gold coast have a better climate, and it rains less. To me, this is definitely a plus. Do you know any other highlights about two cities that outsiders like myself may not know?
Hmm..then I'll think about CSU. Maybe do some more dental shadowing work this summer and apply there! =D
No worries. :)
Cairns climate is more tropical. I'd consider both cities fairly touristy, but the GC is bigger (~500 000 people) than Cairns (~170 000 people). I would consider the GC to have a bigger party scene, if you're into that kind of thing. Maybe some current GC students could put some input of what they think of it... @Sony, @l2009, @monkey magic
For Cairns you can maybe have a read of this post here: http://www.medstudentsonline.com.au/f34/james-cook-university-what-my-chances-12091/#post150870 or have another search around on the forums.

CSU's a lot smaller - Orange is tiny (40 000 people) and I'd say that its climate is a lot more akin to that of Canada. It gets pretty chilly here in winter (heck, it's pretty darn chilly here now!) and we sometimes (or so I hear) get snow in winter. But that's easily fixed by warm clothes - ugg boots and marshmellow jackets FTW!! :lol:

l2009

I can't compare it to Cairns or Orange, but GC does rain a fair bit (lately). The weather around Brisbane/Gold Coast has been getting a bit unpredictable in the past few years. Rains one day, sunny and hot the next .. rains one morning, sunny and hot in the afternoon etc :/

Yeah, GC has an alright clubbing scene. A lot of douchebags though. I see a lot more crap from people in GC clubbing then I do in Brisbane.

Not much to really say about GC. The particular area I live in (Southport) is fairly quiet, has shopping centres/decent food/quiet activities like picnicking and stuff. It's fun because I study here + live around all the other students, but I don't see myself living here once I've graduated.

Hutcherson

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
I can't compare it to Cairns or Orange, but GC does rain a fair bit (lately). The weather around Brisbane/Gold Coast has been getting a bit unpredictable in the past few years. Rains one day, sunny and hot the next .. rains one morning, sunny and hot in the afternoon etc :/

Yeah, GC has an alright clubbing scene. A lot of douchebags though. I see a lot more crap from people in GC clubbing then I do in Brisbane.

Not much to really say about GC. The particular area I live in (Southport) is fairly quiet, has shopping centres/decent food/quiet activities like picnicking and stuff. It's fun because I study here + live around all the other students, but I don't see myself living here once I've graduated.

I agree with the clubbing. Compared to brisbane, I was disappointed in what GC had to offer.

But yeah definitely do some research on different places before making your final choice :)

Thanks guys! Clubbing huh..?! Hmm..Clubbing doesn't interested me at all..I would actually like to focus on my studies than wasting my time theres..lol..I know someone might jump up and say it's their way of entertainment..but..it's not something for me..
I will definitely do some more research and then decide, like Hutch said.
Since CSU is a relative smaller city compare to the other two, would you guys say transportation there is less convienient? lol, I really think that we should make a wiki page or a thread comparing the different pros and cons of each city so other prospective students could read and maybe help them make their big decision! =D

miss_universe

muse.
Emeritus Staff
You decide that now, but dent school is about having fun with your colleagues as well. Enjo yourself (need good clubs XD)

mighty

I would actually like to focus on my studies than wasting my time theres..lol..I know someone might jump up and say it's their way of entertainment..but..it's not something for me..
I will definitely do some more research and then decide, like Hutch said.
Hehe, you say that now...
I personally find that it's really hard to keep motivation to study without balancing it out with a good social life, and it's certainly totally possible to do really well but still have a social life and time to go out etc. There's no pressure to go out, of course, but don't knock it 'til you've tried it! ;D
Good idea. Maybe try figure out which climate you'd like more. Think about class size - I believe JCU has about 60 people, whilst Griffith has about 120 people in its cohort. Both GC and Cairns are pretty beach-y places I think. Maybe if you have specific questions about both places we could better give you a description of them?

Since CSU is a relative smaller city compare to the other two, would you guys say transportation there is less convienient? lol, I really think that we should make a wiki page or a thread comparing the different pros and cons of each city so other prospective students could read and maybe help them make their big decision! =D
Hmm, yeah there's no public transport as such (ie. no buses). We have buses going to town though during the day and if you need a lift into town from uni (5 minute drive) there are always people going and it's pretty easy to get a lift. There's also a Woolworths which is only 2 minutes away as well.
And I wouldn't call Orange a city hehe, it's a country town. 40 000 people is pretty darn tiny!

Ask away if you have any more questions :)

beul

Hey dentdream, congrats! I see you're from Calgary so I was wondering how much you expect it to cost you for the 5 years and how you planned to pay for the tuition. I'm sure this is a major deterrent factor for many international students, including myself, from applying to GU

Hey dentdream, congrats! I see you're from Calgary so I was wondering how much you expect it to cost you for the 5 years and how you planned to pay for the tuition. I'm sure this is a major deterrent factor for many international students, including myself, from applying to GU

Hi Buel,
Actually for me, I can get 200K from the bank plus an extra 150K from my province as loan. My parents will also contribute some money. I believe a good 350K will get me through 5 years or living and studying! =D Although I'm going to be heavily in debt after I graduate, but, nah, people say its worth it and I also think I will eventually be able to pay off!

Mighty, Thanks for the great info! You are right, a balance between schooling and a social life is definitely important. I can't agree more on that.
With GU, the class size does scares me a bit..you have to study with 120 people everyday, I'm not sure if the staffs there are able to pay attention to you when you need something..=(
But for now, my biggest goal is to rock my two life determining final exams. XD Haha, I'll come back with more questions when that's sorted!
Thank guys! You guys are the BEST!

smerkle

How are everyone else's applications going? I've applied to JCU Dents and keep checking my oztrekk application forum obsessively even though I know it probably won't change for quite some time! I HAVE heard that some past international offers have come out in July though! That would be SO amazing...