Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Possibility of Interstate Internship/Residency

Good point Mana!

By "interstate, domestic graduates", do you mean "domestic graduates from interstate" ?

I guess perhaps Victoria gives priority to all medical graduates trained and taught in its own Universities in Victoria.....hence priority for its own international medical graduates... then future international students would want to apply to Victoria universities! Attract them!

It is all about $$$ and keeping the brains here in Victoria. (Many of these international medical students are brainy smart and come from families who can more than afford to pay full fees and no student loans.)

We know that international students pay full fees and that money is very very much needed to run the universities here in Victoria ..... whereas interstate domestic students may have not yet paid Victoria $ except perhaps future streams of taxable income :(

Not fair but this is the real world.

It would be tough for interstate domestic students who are originally from Melbourne or Regional Victoria.

Are there interns in Victoria regional hospitals who are interstate domestic students?

Hi there I'm a new member of the group and I'm an international student. I think I suffer a bit right now because I know the internship crisis in Australia is not solved for years but I really do love and into medicine though what do I do? I'm about to study year 11 and 12 in NSW and would love to apply for Medicine in year 2021. If that is the case I would finish medical school in year 2026-2027. Any politic insights into this internship topic that could make me feel better? Besides, what states and/or unis that I should apply to study medicine for a better chance of getting an internship here in Australia? (since I would love to work here). Also, I wonder what is the internship/residency situation like in the UK or USA. Should I think of studying for the PLAB and USMLE too? I think I would like to practice medicine in an English-speaking and more-developed countries.

chinaski

Not fair but this is the real world.

I would argue that it's entirely fair. The money you pay is to the universities - what you get is a degree in exchange. It's cheeky to suggest it's "not fair" that completely separate government entity (ie the public healthcare system) doesn't provide you with a guaranteed job after you graduate on account of the fact you paid fees to a university. The universities don't fund the hospitals or the healthcare system.

Last edited:
Disagree with you about being "cheeky" :)

Different pple view this matter differently.
Some pple considered it fair and some pple considered it unfair.
Maybe it has nothing to do with fairness! :)

Are there interns in Victoria regional hospitals and also in metropolitan hospitals who are interstate domestic students?

Hi there I'm a new member of the group and I'm an international student. I think I suffer a bit right now because I know the internship crisis in Australia is not solved for years but I really do love and into medicine though what do I do? I'm about to study year 11 and 12 in NSW and would love to apply for Medicine in year 2021. If that is the case I would finish medical school in year 2026-2027. Any politic insights into this internship topic that could make me feel better? Besides, what states and/or unis that I should apply to study medicine for a better chance of getting an internship here in Australia? (since I would love to work here). Also, I wonder what is the internship/residency situation like in the UK or USA. Should I think of studying for the PLAB and USMLE too? I think I would like to practice medicine in an English-speaking and more-developed countries.

Stephanie,
Apply to all Australian and NZ universities when you are in year 12.
Apply to Singapore universities too. Heard they give preference to international medical students.
All the best to you for HSC .
In Vic and Qld, they seem to be successful in internship placements for international students.
I know of international students who succeed in getting internships in regional and rural Qld when they could not be placed in SA.

I heard it is much easier to get into medical schools in UK. Not sure about internship.

In USA, it is very difficult and too many years of pre-med. The cost is also higher.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator

The number one thing that would help would be to get your permanent residency in Australia (if you're already here, of course) - if at all possible, do it before you finish year 12. This way, you'll be applying for government funded (i.e. cheaper) places, and you won't have to worry anywhere near as much about the internship crisis.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Disagree with you about being "cheeky" :)

Different pple view this matter differently.
Some pple considered it fair and some pple considered it unfair.
Maybe it has nothing to do with fairness! :)

Are there interns in Victoria regional hospitals and also in metropolitan hospitals who are interstate domestic students?

The only people that consider this unfair are the people who are disadvantaged.

Re: interstate domestic first year graduates in Victoria - hardly any (both metro and rural, would be more rural); internationals from Victoria would almost never be declining their internships in Victoria because they tend not to get any internships in other Australian states.

The number one thing that would help would be to get your permanent residency in Australia (if you're already here, of course) - if at all possible, do it before you finish year 12. This way, you'll be applying for government funded (i.e. cheaper) places, and you won't have to worry anywhere near as much about the internship crisis.
Thank you for replying. Actually I’m on a student visa and just came here in Australia 2 months ago for the up coming secondary highschool. However, my parents are planning back home for the TR. I wonder if it is possible to get a PR before PGY1? And yes I would need to pay as international students for the whole 5-6 years:((. Besides, I also wonder whether an internship/house officer place in New Zealand or UK is possible, are there any crisis? Again, thank you so much!

jq99

On this note, what should I do as an interstate student (UQ) to put myself in the best possible position for internship/residency in VIC? What kind of extra-curriculars and what kind of uni results?

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
On this note, what should I do as an interstate student (UQ) to put myself in the best possible position for internship/residency in VIC? What kind of extra-curriculars and what kind of uni results?

Unfortunately your chances are very very small. You are a category 3. Looking at PMCV data from the past in one year there were 166 applicants with only 24 offers made. I'm not sure what the process is for interstate graduates but you will not get a z-score.
In terms of extra-curriculars (I'm not sure how much they will help) do something you're passionate about.
As long as you're aware of the chances just try your best!

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff

Lots of praying and lots of emails to rural hospital workforce departments. Good luck!

It is much easier to return as a PGY2, so acknowledge that as a real possibility.

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff

Just following up, it might be worth your while to visit the PMCV website and look at the process of internship allocation in Victoria. They have a guide stipulating everything that needs to be done, categories of priority, and the number of internships given, declined and taken from each category.
Hopefully that will help shed some further light.

VeronicaHoran

Unfortunately your chances are very very small. You are a category 3. Looking at PMCV data from the past in one year there were 166 applicants with only 24 offers made. I'm not sure what the process is for interstate graduates but you will not get a z-score.
In terms of extra-curriculars (I'm not sure how much they will help) do something you're passionate about.
As long as you're aware of the chances just try your best!
Hi :) as an interstate graduate looking to return to victoria for internship, I just wanted to clarify something. You said interstate graduates do not get a Z score, do our results still get assessed in some way? for example do we have to send through an academic transcript or something? or do grades not matter for interstate graduates? thanks!

Perplex

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
Hi :) as an interstate graduate looking to return to victoria for internship, I just wanted to clarify something. You said interstate graduates do not get a Z score, do our results still get assessed in some way? for example do we have to send through an academic transcript or something? or do grades not matter for interstate graduates? thanks!

I'm not too sure on the specifics of this. I think it might vary between networks. Probably best to read the guide and contact individuals networks you are interested in to confirm what factors they take into consideration for interstate graduates,