• MSO wishes all applicants the best of luck in the UCAT!
    Remember, it is important not to post content about specific questions until this season is over (feel free to message a moderator about questions that we can collate later) but we would love to hear about your experiences and results!
    Cheers, Mana
    P.S. you can't dismiss this message

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Post-UCAT Discussion 2019

Vexthebesk

I have mine at 1 pm today :) I'll reply here to let you guys know how it went
So I just finished and got a message from a member with a heap of questions. I’ll try to summarise them all:

1. It was alright - I’m not in a position where I HAVE to get into med school and unfortunately due to my personal circumstance the UCAT has slipped to very low on my priority list hence I didn’t study nearly as much as I planned to.

2. It was definitely more difficult than the Medify questions and mocks. Mainly due to the length; all of the VR were long ones and the QR questions were also longer than usual. Oh yeah and the DM section ones where you place yes or no in the boxes; the passages for some of those were also massive.

3. Format was the same as what I got in purchased practice schemes.

4. Yes they provide a locker for you to put belongings in. You’re not allowed any food or drink.

5. It was a small room with heaps of computers and one person was particularly annoying so noise is definitely an issue. I bought my own ear plugs but they did offer me some when I asked.

6. Yes they gave use laminated sheets. These were permanent markers though so couldn’t hand erase. About 5 ish sheets that were double sided. Plenty for me.

7. I didn’t get a sheet with my results like the UKCAT fellas do. I got told that I’ll get them by email. Perhaps that’s cause I’m first? Not sure.

8. How did I not freak out? Mainly due to point 1 but I highly highly recommend you try and chill out as much as possible. With some questions if you freak out and you have to re-read the passage or start from scratch you may as well guess and click next.

9. Things I would have studied differently:
More AR and reading practice for VR and DM. I’m currently employed as a engineer so deal with mental maths daily but even then I couldn’t finish the QR section in time.

Don’t stress out my dudes. Save your stress for exams and pool your resources into interview prep instead. You got this.

So I just finished and got a message from a member with a heap of questions. I’ll try to summarise them all:

1. It was alright - I’m not in a position where I HAVE to get into med school and unfortunately due to my personal circumstance the UCAT has slipped to very low on my priority list hence I didn’t study nearly as much as I planned to.

2. It was definitely more difficult than the Medify questions and mocks. Mainly due to the length; all of the VR were long ones and the QR questions were also longer than usual. Oh yeah and the DM section ones where you place yes or no in the boxes; the passages for some of those were also massive.

3. Format was the same as what I got in purchased practice schemes.

4. Yes they provide a locker for you to put belongings in. You’re not allowed any food or drink.

5. It was a small room with heaps of computers and one person was particularly annoying so noise is definitely an issue. I bought my own ear plugs but they did offer me some when I asked.

6. Yes they gave use laminated sheets. These were permanent markers though so couldn’t hand erase. About 5 ish sheets that were double sided. Plenty for me.

7. I didn’t get a sheet with my results like the UKCAT fellas do. I got told that I’ll get them by email. Perhaps that’s cause I’m first? Not sure.

8. How did I not freak out? Mainly due to point 1 but I highly highly recommend you try and chill out as much as possible. With some questions if you freak out and you have to re-read the passage or start from scratch you may as well guess and click next.

9. Things I would have studied differently:
More AR and reading practice for VR and DM. I’m currently employed as a engineer so deal with mental maths daily but even then I couldn’t finish the QR section in time.

Don’t stress out my dudes. Save your stress for exams and pool your resources into interview prep instead. You got this.
How was the abstract reasoning in comparison to Medify? Harder or easier?

Vexthebesk

How was the abstract reasoning in comparison to Medify? Harder or easier?
Sorry to break it but it was quite a bit harder. I sucked at AR (like most people) but in medify mocks I'd usually get atleast a couple of the Set A/B questions perfect (as in work out the rule 100%). With the test, there were no A/B questions that I was 100% satisfied with in terms of knowing the rules. For most I got 50% of the rule but definitely missed out on some conditional rules.

Sorry to break it but it was quite a bit harder. I sucked at AR (like most people) but in medify mocks I'd usually get atleast a couple of the Set A/B questions perfect (as in work out the rule 100%). With the test, there were no A/B questions that I was 100% satisfied with in terms of knowing the rules. For most I got 50% of the rule but definitely missed out on some conditional rules.
Sorry for bothering you with so many questions - do you think it was just the stress of the situation that made it harder, or were there definitely more “difficult” patterns (e.g. conditional rules) than on Medify?

Vexthebesk

Sorry for bothering you with so many questions - do you think it was just the stress of the situation that made it harder, or were there definitely more “difficult” patterns (e.g. conditional rules) than on Medify?
Both I think. There was one that was super simple that I knew I could figure out but time pressure made me just guess the lot. It looked super simple but was harder cause of the conditional rule.

geek

(As medicallyblonde suggested) people who have already sat the ucat please feel free to share any tips/rant about the test or answer the burning questions of the 2019 ucat test takers

some prompt questions?

I sat the UCAT on...
Duration of test prep... (compulsory)
My test venue was (comment on noise, 'whiteboards', state of computers)...
I used these resources to study...
My mock marks included... EDIT BY MOD: please post these in the dedicated thread rather than here
My UCAT results were...
I am interested in applying to...
Comments on the difficulty of each section
Was it harder than what your practiced...
How did you keep calm in the exam room...
Things that happened to you in the exam room that you weren't prepared for e.g any new revelations about the process..
Things you wish you knew before sitting the ucat...
Results:did you get them straight away or is it via email ( and what time is the expected arrival of the email)

Last edited by a moderator:

geek

Thank you Vexthebesk

Test date
1 st July 2019

How was it
It was alright - I’m not in a position where I HAVE to get into med school and unfortunately due to my personal circumstance the UCAT has slipped to very low on my priority list hence I didn’t study nearly as much as I planned to.

Difficulty
It was definitely more difficult than the Medify questions and mocks. Mainly due to the length; all of the VR were long ones and the QR questions were also longer than usual. Oh yeah and the DM section ones where you place yes or no in the boxes; the passages for some of those were also massive.

Format
Format was the same as what I got in purchased practice schemes.

Are the locker myths true
Yes they provide a locker for you to put belongings in. You’re not allowed any food or drink.

Noise
It was a small room with heaps of computers and one person was particularly annoying so noise is definitely an issue. I bought my own ear plugs but they did offer me some when I asked.

White boards?
Yes they gave use laminated sheets. These were permanent markers though so couldn’t hand erase. About 5 ish sheets that were double sided. Plenty for me.

Results
I didn’t get a sheet with my results like the UKCAT fellas do. I got told that I’ll get them by email. Perhaps that’s cause I’m first? Not sure.

Keeping calm
How did I not freak out? Mainly due to point 1 but I highly highly recommend you try and chill out as much as possible. With some questions if you freak out and you have to re-read the passage or start from scratch you may as well guess and click next.

Things I would have studied differently:

Thoughts on AR
I sucked at AR (like most people) but in medify mocks I'd usually get atleast a couple of the Set A/B questions perfect (as in work out the rule 100%). With the test, there were no A/B questions that I was 100% satisfied with in terms of knowing the rules. For most I got 50% of the rule but definitely missed out on some conditional rules.

Skipping questions
Yes, I had to skip questions on all the sections but SJ. Most skipped in AR, least in QR.

medicallyblonde's golden advise

I am analogising the UCAT as like learning to drive a car...it is a skill not knowledge based exam. Some of us can instantly parallel park, some of us (me!) were lucky we got a three point turn in the test instead because after >100 goes I was still not comfortable with parallel parks. My defensive driving course was the major factor in my confidence, but others couldn’t care less and are comfortable drivers

Last edited:

StormMy

Is there any specific strategy you would recommend geek for QR section? Like what should focus more on? Terms of like more motion or percentages and ect?

Crow

Most Active 2018
Thanks geek and medicallyblonde. For future posters: please keep in mind that we want everyone to have an equal opportunity for success in the exam. Any posts which reveal specific questions and/or new question styles (etc etc) that could provide an unfair advantage to late exam sitters will be deleted if necessary.

Good luck to those yet to sit the exam!

Shadowfaxx

Sat the test this morning(Much easier than umat), yes you will receive a locker and will receive the laminated paper. Exactly same format as medify and you will feel like your at home. Didn't go as well as I expected but hopefully good enough to receive a offer for JMP. Verbal Reasoning was significantly harder than medify, and I recommend going over the offical ucat practice tests for examples, eg. understanding authors motive and opinion, however this may of just been unique to my question bank and none of this should be taken as gospel. Abstract Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning consisted of a lot(emphasis on a lot) of 1 markers that cost time, they were no easy or really hard sets just time consuming. Situational Judgement was exactly as expected, lots of questions regarding crime and malpractice, I recommend going over the Oxford Handbook for Health Professionals. Costs $60 and helped me understand some of the confusing questions. Decision Making was super hard with many long passages and analysis of graphs. Was pretty chill and know when to cut your losses. :)
Results:
Verbal Reasoning: 530
Decision Making: 620
Quantitative Reasoning: 820
Abstract Reasoning: 700
Total Score: 680 (Don't know how its calcuated but some sort of scaling might apply to each component)

Situational Judgement: 621

Give me your thoughts about chances for undergrad medicine interview offers. Currently, I'm first year uni student with roughly 90 atar, so I believe JMP is the only choice.

Antae

Sat the test this morning(Much easier than umat), yes you will receive a locker and will receive the laminated paper. Exactly same format as medify and you will feel like your at home. Didn't go as well as I expected but hopefully good enough to receive a offer for JMP. Verbal Reasoning was significantly harder than medify, and I recommend going over the offical ucat practice tests for examples, eg. understanding authors motive and opinion, however this may of just been unique to my question bank and none of this should be taken as gospel. Abstract Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning consisted of a lot(emphasis on a lot) of 1 markers that cost time, they were no easy or really hard sets just time consuming. Situational Judgement was exactly as expected, lots of questions regarding crime and malpractice, I recommend going over the Oxford Handbook for Health Professionals. Costs $60 and helped me understand some of the confusing questions. Decision Making was super hard with many long passages and analysis of graphs. Was pretty chill and know when to cut your losses. :)
Results:
Total Score: 680 (Don't know how its calcuated but some sort of scaling might apply to each component)

Give me your thoughts about chances for undergrad medicine interview offers. Currently, I'm first year uni student with roughly 90 atar, so I believe JMP is the only choice.
Do you mind sharing how you went on the Medify Mocks?

Driffin

I think we should not publish individual results at this stage. We should wait until everyone finishes their exams on 31 July.
Also, if some one did not practice properly and didn't do the actual exam well please do not comment here saying the exam was hard. There were so many free materials online that we can practice. If someone is serious about getting into Med I'm sure that person can practice at least free online resources.
Please if some one did not do well, please do not put your negative comments.
Also, please don't publish your results until 31 July.
Thanks

runforrestrun

Results:

Hey, did the on-screen calculator come up on a separate tab (like it does when doing the official UCAT mocks online), or does it pop up within the screen itself (like it does on medify)?

Driffin

Thanks geek and medicallyblonde. For future posters: please keep in mind that we want everyone to have an equal opportunity for success in the exam. Any posts which reveal specific questions and/or new question styles (etc etc) that could provide an unfair advantage to late exam sitters will be deleted if necessary.

Good luck to those yet to sit the exam!
Agree with Crow. we need everyone to have an equal opportunity. So please do not discourage students if you haven't done the exam properly specially without proper practicing. Do not spread your negative thoughts. In UCAT everyone received their results on the same day. But this in UCAT it is different. So I think we should not publish our results. We should wait until every one finishes. I am not sure what others are thinking but this is my thought.

geek

Driffin I agree with your opinion but we need to take both sides into account and not present a golden picture about how easy the exam is
All the candidates do mention whether they have prepared well or not and if we remove all the negative comments about the test from this thread it's unrealistic
Also this might prevent anyone from commenting at all as they would be under the constant fear of being moderated and their post being deleted just because they found it "hard"
I too hope to see and be one of the people who find the test easy but alas this is not a case for everyone