Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Post-UCAT Discussion 2019

Kezza

Quick question, when applying to universities through UAC or QTAC - without knowing if you are going to qualify for an interview, are you essentially having to pay the fee and gamble that your UCAT is high enough to qualify?

It seems like a ridiculous money grab that university admission application is required prior to interview offers being released unless I am missing something here? As UWS requires your UAC number when applying, but you can't get a UAC number without paying for an application, which is useless if you aren't going to qualify for an interview offer which likely won't be known until October (past the UAC cutoff)

TKAO

crossed fingers for ATAR
Gold star winner
Quick question, when applying to universities through UAC or QTAC - without knowing if you are going to qualify for an interview, are you essentially having to pay the fee and gamble that your UCAT is high enough to qualify?

It seems like a ridiculous money grab that university admission application is required prior to interview offers being released unless I am missing something here? As UWS requires your UAC number when applying, but you can't get a UAC number without paying for an application, which is useless if you aren't going to qualify for an interview offer which likely won't be known until October (past the UAC cutoff)
The long and short of it is that - yes it is all a gamble. There is no certainty in these things and unis are willing to exploit you for your money. The fact is that if you aren't willing to gamble it, someone else is. They are the house and you are the gambler, the house always wins. Demand for medicine far outstrips supply in this scenario.

Kezza

The long and short of it is that - yes it is all a gamble. There is no certainty in these things and unis are willing to exploit you for your money. The fact is that if you aren't willing to gamble it, someone else is. They are the house and you are the gambler, the house always wins. Demand for medicine far outstrips supply in this scenario.
For sure - Figured I wasn't missing anything here and it was just a well organised cash grab.

I have been searching through these forums trying to find a date that offers are released by universities (i.e. if a student were successful in their interview and were to receive an offer to study from the university). Is there a post regarding this that i could peruse?

Edit: Finally found one - Although its 4 years old - offers came out on January 18th for UNE/JMP and WSU

A1

Admissions Speculator
As UWS requires your UAC number when applying
Better way to describe this^ is one UAC application is required first for WSU + all other NSW unis. The WSU application is only supplemental.

Most NSW Y12 students don't see this as a cash grab since they are going to apply for a place somewhere anyway, not necessarily just med schools.

Wait until you want to apply for grad entry, the application fee to Gemsas or USyd is around $500 I think.

TKAO

crossed fingers for ATAR
Gold star winner
For sure - Figured I wasn't missing anything here and it was just a well organised cash grab.

I have been searching through these forums trying to find a date that offers are released by universities (i.e. if a student were successful in their interview and were to receive an offer to study from the university). Is there a post regarding this that i could peruse?
Collated offers forum has some dates. These are generally first round dates. Also check each of the TACs handbooks to see when they say first and second round offers are released.

Medco2019

When you apply for universities, they ask for UCAT identification number. In my result sheet I have two numbers: UCAT ANZ ID and Registration ID. Which one should I use?

conrs

Has anyone had issues with errors in their scores? There is one section (DM) in which my score was very significantly lower than the others, which was a surprise given my mock scores etc, and the way I felt during/following the exam. The more I think about it, the more the score seems super strange... I know it's probably not an error but just wondering in case anyone has contacted Pearson with a similar problem?

ucatboy

Has anyone had issues with errors in their scores? There is one section (DM) in which my score was very significantly lower than the others, which was a surprise given my mock scores etc, and the way I felt during/following the exam. The more I think about it, the more the score seems super strange... I know it's probably not an error but just wondering in case anyone has contacted Pearson with a similar problem?
How much lower was your DM score compared to your medify average/mental range? I thought I did wonderfully in VR (better than all my official mocks in fact) and answered all the questions properly but got hit with a >200 drop in comparison to my medify and official mock averages. My VR score's still above average (relative to whole cohort) so it's not 300 or anything, which makes me think the marking was correct and it was just nerves.

conrs

How much lower was your DM score compared to your medify average/mental range? I thought I did wonderfully in VR (better than all my official mocks in fact) and answered all the questions properly but got hit with a >200 drop in comparison to my medify and official mock averages. My VR score's still above average (relative to whole cohort) so it's not 300 or anything, which makes me think the marking was correct and it was just nerves.
Probably around a 200 drop... and every other section of the exam I was well above average- in this section, according to the SDs/averages etc I am apparently in the 9th percentile, whereas each other section was 70-80+ percentiles, which is where my concern lies.

Filifalcon

Probably around a 200 drop... and every other section of the exam I was well above average- in this section, according to the SDs/averages etc I am apparently in the 9th percentile, whereas each other section was 70-80+ percentiles, which is where my concern lies.
If you're concerned defs hit them up. At the end of the day, it's either a mistake on their part or nerves which play a big part in your focus for a test.

Winger42

Am I right to say that entry to dentistry at the University of Adelaide is 100% interview (provided you meet the UCAT and ATAR cutoffs) and only about 1/6 pass the interview?

A1

Admissions Speculator

TKAO

crossed fingers for ATAR
Gold star winner
Worth applying anywhere with a 2490?
If you are rural you might still be able to apply to places. Otherwise, get a high ATAR and cross your fingers for griffith or USC (99.6+). JCU also doesn't look at your UCAT at all. Virtually no other uni will consider you unfortunately unless you are rural.

If you are rural you might still be able to apply to places. Otherwise, get a high ATAR and cross your fingers for griffith or USC (99.6+). JCU also doesn't look at your UCAT at all. Virtually no other uni will consider you unfortunately unless you are rural.
Sydney pre entry, and bond University are the other ones as well as unimelb. Sydney requires a 99.95 and Melbourne 99.90. Might be missing one or two.

Dnama

Can non standards apply to USC using their ATAR?