• MSO wishes the best of luck to all users with upcoming interviews! For those interviewing at universities that do not have applicants sign an NDA, it would be greatly appreciated if you could send me (Crow) a PM with your interview questions to help future users. These will not be shared publicly until all interviews for that university have been completed. Cheers! ETA: Please check out our new Interview Portal!

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Post-UCAT Discussion 2019

I'm a non standard applicant applying to uq dentistry. I've emailed them and they said they will use my high school results because I've done less than 1 year of ft study. Will I still be eligible for their bonus points as I did 4u maths in high school (2018)

Crow

Moderator Band
I'm a non standard applicant applying to uq dentistry. I've emailed them and they said they will use my high school results because I've done less than 1 year of ft study. Will I still be eligible for their bonus points as I did 4u maths in high school (2018)
If they’re indeed using your high school results then there’s no reason why they shouldn’t adjust the ATAR with bonus points. There’s no harm in replying to the email to get official confirmation, though.

stargirl1

Hi, I live in Melbourne and got 90th percentile UCAT. Do I have a realistic shot for Monash? Are there any particular universities I can aim for interstate? I am expected an atar of 99. Thank you in advance :)

ganshenme

I emailed them about this too: I'm a first year student who would have originally done 7 units instead of 8 units, due to underloading in my first semester. UQ told me in this case they will use whatever is higher out of my ATAR or GPA, whereas they will only use GPA if you have done 1FTE or more. they said the bonus points for maths and LOTE only applies to current Year 12 students for the year after they graduate, I.e. 2019 year 12 for 2020 entry
However, since my ATAR was just below 99, my only hope for getting the OP1 hurdle was a good GPA, yet for a student who had done less than a full time load, GPA conversion to selection rank was capped at 94. Only choice if you got below 99 is to do a full time load presumably by overloading and getting a 6.5 GPA

hope this helps

A1

Admissions Speculator
Hi, I live in Melbourne and got 90th percentile UCAT. Do I have a realistic shot for Monash? Are there any particular universities I can aim for interstate? I am expected an atar of 99. Thank you in advance :)
99+/90th Vic makes you a strong candidate for Monash. You should also get interviews with Adelaide, JMP, UWA, Curtin. Not so optimistic for UNSW and WSU but try them anyway. JCU is possible depending on your written application.

Winger42

Also, interesting information from UQ about the eligibility of candidates who are doing a gap year / year 13 (on their website they say that students are only eligible if they completed year 12 in the year of their application):

"The intention of the repeat senior criteria is to allow students to repeat their entire senior curriculum to apply for the provisional entry intake. This is based on the rules of the Queensland senior curriculum where high school students are not permitted to repeat individual subjects, they must do it all or nothing.

As such, repeating one or two subjects is against the spirit of the intended rules. However, under other senior curriculums (such as the IB Diploma), repeating individual subjects is permitted which 'technically' allows the student to maintain their eligibility. The defining criteria can be affected by whether the student has a new graduation certificate issued (indicating a full repeat) or if their old one is amended with revised grades.

If you are issued with an entirely new senior high school diploma, you will probably be considered to be a 'repeat' senior student. However, if the grades are issued as an amendment to the existing diploma, you might be deemed ineligible for the provisional entry cohort. As such, IB Diploma students who are repeating one IB Diploma subject are most likely to not considered eligible to apply for the Provisional Entry Doctor of Medicine program."

I emailed them about this too: I'm a first year student who would have originally done 7 units instead of 8 units, due to underloading in my first semester. UQ told me in this case they will use whatever is higher out of my ATAR or GPA, whereas they will only use GPA if you have done 1FTE or more. they said the bonus points for maths and LOTE only applies to current Year 12 students for the year after they graduate, I.e. 2019 year 12 for 2020 entry
However, since my ATAR was just below 99, my only hope for getting the OP1 hurdle was a good GPA, yet for a student who had done less than a full time load, GPA conversion to selection rank was capped at 94. Only choice if you got below 99 is to do a full time load presumably by overloading and getting a 6.5 GPA

hope this helps
Oh damn that is very harsh, so you basically have to do a full time load in your first year/have a 99+ atar without bonus points to be eligible for a dent spot (as a non-standard), still don't understand why they don't continue the bonus points

A1

Admissions Speculator
guys is there any point in applying as a non standard to jmp with a 65th percentile😞 or should i not waste my money
If the UAC application is only for JMP then tbh you should not waste the money.
(If anyone thinks differently please feel free to give your opinion).

Smelly Boy

Fourth time’s the charm
guys is there any point in applying as a non standard to jmp with a 65th percentile😞 or should i not waste my money
Unless rural then yeah what A1 said all the way. Unlucky & definitely not a good feel. Truly feel for you my friend :(. Probably worth putting in a JCU application if you’re up for it since they don’t look at UCAT. Good luck and keep your head up. This definitely isn’t the end :)

Smelly Boy

Fourth time’s the charm
does anyone know what a good score for SJT would be? when applying to unis like monash :))
It’s all so new so I doubt any of us have a clue. We’re the guinea pigs for future med applicants when it comes to how SJT will be used in Australia. In the UK it’s usually used as a threshold ë.g. The bottom 20% marks in SJT are excluded from applying