Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Post-UCAT Discussion 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
This thread will open once UCAT 2020 kicks off.

Some questions to consider answering are suggested below. PLEASE NOTE: 'what are my chances of an interview invite/offer' questions WILL NOT be answered until OFFICIAL percentile ranks have been released and you have a clearer idea of your rough expected ATAR/GPA. A dedicated thread will be created for exactly that purpose at the appropriate time. This thread is just for general post-exam chatter. Please keep in mind that specific information about questions will only benefit those who've yet to do the test! Do not post specific information here, it will be deleted.

And as is standard at present, no discussion of prep companies (de-identified or otherwise) is permitted.

Date completed:
Venue:
General thoughts on your results:
General comments on the exam/exam experience:

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Unlocking this thread in preparation for tomorrow’s kick off. Please read the important info in the opening post above but I will recap here, too:

1. Do NOT ask ‘what are my chances’ questions. They will be deleted. A dedicated thread for this will open once official percentile ranks are released.
2. Definitely do NOT post specific info about your exam content. It will be a breach of your NDA and will only serve to benefit those yet to take the test. This content will also be deleted.
3. No prep company discussion, questions, debate, mentions, abbreviations, pseudonyms! The rules re. prep content remain in place.
4. Do feel free to share your general experiences, what your venue was like, whether you’re pro- or anti- ear plugs (!! quite the srsbsns topic, it would seem!), other meltdown/panic/excitement-related content.
5. GOOD LUCK!!
(ETA: 6. RIP UMAT. You’re still my fave and I miss you 😘)

Last edited:

Cal

vibe
Good Luck to All!!!

To people Who Are sitting it For the First time:

Try not to stress too much!! You have prepared for it to the best of your ability, and your results will show that if you put your best in! Remember, There is always next year.

To the repeat sitters:
You know how it is, just know that you have improved markedly on what you did wrong last time and that you will use your past mistakes to your advantage, and you are more ready than ever :cool: (Also don't stress there is also next year as well)

To MSO mods:
Thanks for being such a great help to everyone sitting it, and Thanks in advance for helping everyone out through this stressful time. I know that you will put countless hours in Working to help everyone, and I and many others appreciate that <3

Ladies and Gentlemen: It's V I B E time 😌😌

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Assuming the same structure of results release happens this year as it did last year: I’m just going to add that release of the deciles (but not percentiles) will also NOT be a time to ask what your chances are - we won’t be answering these until the percentiles have been released. Good luck everyone, looking forward to hearing how you all perform! :)

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Assuming the same structure of results release happens this year as it did last year: I’m just going to add that release of the deciles (but not percentiles) will also NOT be a time to ask what your chances are - we won’t be answering these until the percentiles have been released. Good luck everyone, looking forward to hearing how you all perform! :)
Just a slight correction - last year deciles came out in the same one-page PDF document as the mean + standard deviation and all that good stuff: https://www.ucat.edu.au/media/1314/ucat-anz-2019_summary-test-statistics.pdf

Unless this year we'll be waiting for the official percentile calculator to come out? The mean + s.d. served us pretty well last year with only some discrepancies at higher scores (less perfectly normally distributed).

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Just a slight correction - last year deciles came out in the same one-page PDF document as the mean + standard deviation and all that good stuff: https://www.ucat.edu.au/media/1314/ucat-anz-2019_summary-test-statistics.pdf

Unless this year we'll be waiting for the official percentile calculator to come out? The mean + s.d. served us pretty well last year with only some discrepancies at higher scores (less perfectly normally distributed).

Just a slight correction ;)

Last year we waited until the percentile calculator came out as there was too much confusion with the deciles/mean/SD document.

We will be doing the same thing this year.

A1

Rookie Doc
last year deciles came out in the same one-page PDF document as the mean + standard deviation

I'm curious, did UCAT ANZ produce a 2019 comprehensive report like for the UK that shows number of candidates, score variations between test books etc?

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
I'm curious, did UCAT ANZ produce a 2019 comprehensive report like for the UK that shows number of candidates, score variations between test books etc?
Tried finding it the other day to see whether there was as much variation in DM as people were making there out to be (one test set allegedly had impossibly difficult logic puzzles), but to no success. The UCAT UK 2019 Technical Report did come out last month though. One of my key findings was that between 2018 and 2019, the number of test sets in circulation increased from 3 to 5 for the Brits. Can't confirm whether it was the same for us ANZ peeps though.

ucatboy

final year eek
Valued Member
Just a slight correction ;)

Last year we waited until the percentile calculator came out as there was too much confusion with the deciles/mean/SD document.

We will be doing the same thing this year.
Oh right my bad, forgot that the thread got temporarily closed after a handful of very eager posts (mine included 😉) hahah

ummshakib

Hi, I am new to this site and forum. My post-UCAT details are:

Date: 01/07/2020
Venue: Brisbane, Clifton Tower

Can we list our individual marks?

Exam setting was well presented. Not sure about ease of parking, as I was dropped off.
Staff were friendly. They reassured everyone that everything had been cleaned beforehand.
A cup of water was allowed in. The water dispenser was on the floor above, where you first enter.
Exam started right on time.

I found verbal reasoning ok, but scored lower than last year.
I found decision making the easiest, and scored slightly better than last year.
I found quantitative reasoning difficult but with a better strategic plan my mark was significantly better than last year.
I found abstract reasoning hard (I ace this in practice tests). My mark was slightly less than last year.
I found situational judgment more difficult than last year but scored fractionally better.

LeSpicyGinger

Flinders MD II

Exam setting was well presented. Not sure about ease of parking, as I was dropped off.
Staff were friendly. They reassured everyone that everything had been cleaned beforehand.
A cup of water was allowed in. The water dispenser was on the floor above, where you first enter.

I found quantitative reasoning difficult but with a better strategic plan my mark was significantly better than last year.
I found abstract reasoning hard (I ace this in practice tests). My mark was slightly less than last year.
I found situational judgment more difficult than last year but scored fractionally better.

Please do list your marks. (edit: if you want to)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

First MSO poster for UCAT2020! Woot! Congratulations and welcome.

You can share your results if you want to, but there is no expectation that you do. The rules are in the first two posts so as long as you steer clear of those things, you’re golden!

cocodreams

What type of strategic plan did you have for QR? Was it difficult in terms of question/stem length or complex working out?

hazell

Valued Member

thank you so much for sharing your experiences! also congratulations on your amazing mark :)

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I guessed, flagged and skipped difficult questions instead of getting flustered and wasting time. Difficult in terms if complex working out (for me anyway)

Just an FYI that, as the first poster, you’re going to be bombarded with questions! Only answer what you want/have time to answer :)

Congrats on your result, and best of luck!

PS. Please don’t be tempted to answer prep company questions if you get any. I’ll be deleting them as soon as I see them (and any responses made to them) so it’ll be a waste of time.

ummshakib

Just an FYI that, as the first poster, you’re going to be bombarded with questions! Only answer what you want/have time to answer :)

Congrats on your result, and best of luck!

PS. Please don’t be tempted to answer prep company questions if you get any. I’ll be deleting them as soon as I see them (and any responses made to them) so it’ll be a waste of time.

Thank you everyone. I was an anonymous observer last year, but it's nice to be part of your community. The support is awesome.

Thanks for the heads up regarding bombardment : )

I only used the official UCAT resources on their website and app.

Oh, and I am hoping to apply to UQ for dentistry

Status
Not open for further replies.