Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Post UCAT Discussion Thread 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhsane

Sup everyone, I did my UCAT yesterday on Tuesday 27th July at Macquarie St, Parramatta in Sydney.

My scores were:
VR - 870
DM - 760
QR - 900
AR - 870
Total - 3400
SJ - 705

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with my score, it was well above my mock average of 3150 and exceeded all my mock scores.

If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them! Idk what exactly this thread is for other than to share results/experience :p.

Below are my general thoughts:
VR: I finished everything in time (my main goal) but I was forced to make quick educated guesses for a few, so I hoped to get maybe 820/830. I was pleasantly surprised with 870.

DM: Shockingly difficult (especially the syllogisms) compared to any of the mocks and subtests I had ever done. I probably had a bad day? but I simply could not understand any of the syllogisms and in my mocks they were never a major problem. The other questions seemed to be quite standards, but the difficulty was a big shocker and this subtest was my only underperformer compared to my mock average (820).

QR: Was quite simple and easy. As I finished I was quite confident I'd get at least 880.

AR: Doing that subtest, I knew I was going to do a bit better than my mock average (700) but I didn't for a second consider a score as high as 870. Stand-out performer.

SJ: Never really paid much attention to this section bc I'm focussed on UNSW/USYD med entry. It seemed like every other SJ test though. Pleasantly surprised by the 705 tbh, my mock averages were 600-650 I think.
Incredible!! I’m curious.. how long did you spend preparing?

cocodreams

Sup everyone, I did my UCAT yesterday on Tuesday 27th July at Macquarie St, Parramatta in Sydney.

My scores were:
VR - 870
DM - 760
QR - 900
AR - 870
Total - 3400
SJ - 705

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with my score, it was well above my mock average of 3150 and exceeded all my mock scores.

If you have any questions I'd be more than happy to answer them! Idk what exactly this thread is for other than to share results/experience :p.

VR: I finished everything in time (my main goal) but I was forced to make quick educated guesses for a few, so I hoped to get maybe 820/830. I was pleasantly surprised with 870.

DM: Shockingly difficult (especially the syllogisms) compared to any of the mocks and subtests I had ever done. I probably had a bad day? but I simply could not understand any of the syllogisms and in my mocks they were never a major problem. The other questions seemed to be quite standards, but the difficulty was a big shocker and this subtest was my only underperformer compared to my mock average (820).

QR: Was quite simple and easy. As I finished I was quite confident I'd get at least 880.

AR: Doing that subtest, I knew I was going to do a bit better than my mock average (700) but I didn't for a second consider a score as high as 870. Stand-out performer.

SJ: Never really paid much attention to this section bc I'm focussed on UNSW/USYD med entry. It seemed like every other SJ test though. Pleasantly surprised by the 705 tbh, my mock averages were 600-650 I think.
Insane score! Well done :)

med23

My scores were:
VR - 870
DM - 760
QR - 900
AR - 870
Total - 3400
SJ - 705

WOW congrats on your score!! What was the centre like? I have my exam there in 3 days and so nervous :/// would you also be able to share ur mock results?

JeydinNewWon

My scores were:
VR - 870
DM - 760
QR - 900
AR - 870
Total - 3400
SJ - 705

Girl a score of 3400 I-

2xq

Allied Health Member
Has anyone sat their exam at Pearson Professional Centre 10 Bridge Street and able to share their experience there ?
You should be able to find some if you use the search feature by searching for "Bridge St".

Date completed: 7 July 2021
Venue: Clifton Hotel

General thoughts on your results:
First timer, so I'm pretty happy with my results given the fact that I didn't know I'd be sitting this test 5 weeks ago. I did almost all of my study at night, so my biggest regret is choosing the 8am option!!!

For context, I did around 15 mocks and probably 20 mini-mocks altogether.

VR: 680 - Pretty happy with this. I was scoring anywhere between 550-700 in mocks.
DM: 610 (yikes) - Kind of gutted. I did quite a bit of prep for this and was scoring equally as high as QR and AR in this subsection: majority of my scores were 700-900 (25+/29). This subsection felt a lot harder compared to mocks and I was consequently more pressed for time. Not really sure what happened but I suspect it's either because I was sleep deprived, still warming up cognitively, or because I'm not as good as I think I am at DM lol. But ehhh, you win some you lose some.
QR: 830 - Pretty happy with this. Started really slow and ended up guessing a set (4qs).
AR: 880 - Very happy. Managed to figure out all patterns and had a 3 mins to spare which felt good.

Total: 3000
SJT: 649 (including this in case anyone cares lol)

General comments on your experience:
Staff were very friendly and everything ran smoothly. Only bad thing I can think of was that my mouse felt like it had a negative DPI lmaoo and the fact that we didn't get a mousepad made moving the mouse even harder. I personally believe that anyone can score well in this test if they put in the hours, reflect on their mistakes/bad habits, and effectively execute their plan on the day.

General question:
Are percentiles released immediately after all test takers have sat the test (i.e. mid-August)?
How much does a 90th percentile score typically fluctuate by year to year?
What were you averaging in QR and AR Mocks?

did people found it useful to skip logical puzzles questions at first and then come back to them?
I did skip them in my first mini mock but then when I came back to them I didn't have that much time to solve all so I ended up guessing few scoring 20. But like when I reviewed those they were VERY simple. In second mini mock I did all logical puzzles without skipping but I scored 23 :/ so really confused what is helpful any suggestions?

jhsane

did people found it useful to skip logical puzzles questions at first and then come back to them?
I did skip them in my first mini mock but then when I came back to them I didn't have that much time to solve all so I ended up guessing few scoring 20. But like when I reviewed those they were VERY simple. In second mini mock I did all logical puzzles without skipping but I scored 23 :/ so really confused what is helpful any suggestions?
i never skip them but if you can't get them in about a minute probably flag and move on
some of the answers can automatically be removed from the guessing pool after a few reads :)

JeydinNewWon

For me, I generally would skip them personally as they vary a lot in the number of variables and passage length and can drain A LOT of your time if you get stuck. (Since logical inferences need to be made with them which can be hard to see at times!)

Well done DaCommiePanda! Your score is extremely high and you should definitely be be pleased with your score 😂. I am really struggling in the VR section atm and don’t really know how I could improve in a short amount of time since my exam is in just under 2 weeks. Any advice?
Honestly, I started out as being good at VR because I usually read fast naturally, and I read a lot of news (especially political/history) so I also had a good set of general knowledge to help me answer the questions, and understand things with more ease. I think that VR is by far the hardest to improve, and a lot of it is tied to reading speed.

But since you have 2 weeks, I can't say for sure what will help you, but my personal issues were timing and I would sometimes get low in my mocks bc I got bogged down by passages/questions that I wasn't fully sure and was obsessed with finding the answer or like thinking "no, I can't let all the time I spent on this question go to waste". So for me at least, the thing I just had to do in the real test was move on in difficult questions when I wasn't sure and make an educated guess. And it turned out well and I finished the subtest just in time.

If you wanna know my strategy, I always look at the question first. I then scan for keywords in the question to try find the answer and generally it works out. Reading the passage first is just too hard for me bc your absorbing too much information at once, and that's ESPECIALLY apparent if you don't know the topic well (it just zooms through your head) The harder ones for my strategy are the ones where they ask for the author's opinion (but for those, they're nearly always at the start or end of a passage and often you can make an educated guess from reading the first and last paragraphs).

The hardest ones are probably "which of the following is not true" or something like that and it's the hardest simply bc you need to check them systematically and either eliminate the rest, or find the right answer. (So basically you choose like A, verify it. If it doesn't work out, eliminate it and go to B). That's often very time-consuming, but it worked for me and often I used educated guesses or chose the options that seemed most plausible to verify first (it's a probability game sometimes!).

DEFINITELY I kept track of time. I don't skip passages/questions to come back to, because simply I don't have time to, and it messes my timing. Know what question you should be up to at specific time intervals. E.g. know at 10.5 mins you should be at Q22. At 7.5 minutes remaining you should be at Q29 etc. This will help pacing the most and tell you whether you need to speed up. If you realise you're pressured for time, you simply just have to guess things like the author's opinion or elimination ones and choose the one that seems most plausible. If you realise the answer in later questions you can ofc come back to it, but otherwise move on.

I'm sure others may be able to offer insight into what they did. I think you definitely have to practise it and test out different ways to see how well you fare up in minimocks/mocks. If you're getting low, no point continuing to do VR stuff without changing strategies, and just hoping you'll do well. Potentially you could try my way but skip all the "everything below is true except"-style questions and come back to it at the end if you're unsure...it's different for every individual. But good luck in your test! I hope you do well, and hopefully I may have helped a little.

Do you mind being more specific about how many you skipped?
No problem! I didn't actually skip anything fully per se. But if I noticed I was running behind on the clock, I forced myself to quickly search for answers, and if I couldn't get it within like 10 seconds, I'd just make an educated guess (usually from a choice of 3 or maybe 2 bc the modality of the words they use, or simply plausibility can eliminate 1 or 2) and just have to move on from that question. I probably did 5/6 of those? I flagged them obviously but never came back to them bc I had no time.

WOW congrats on your score!! What was the centre like? I have my exam there in 3 days and so nervous :/// would you also be able to share ur mock results?
The centre was okay. I honestly don't know what I was expecting, but they were quite efficient and the rooms were quite big (socially distanced). Don't worry too much about that! Probably bring your own good set of earplugs bc my centre was a little noisy, and the clicking is SO annoying and I had to ask for those really dodgy ear plugs they have prepared for you (but it wasn't that bad haha).

This is a link of a screenshot of a rough overview of all the mocks I did. I averaged 3150 quite consistently throughout all my tests. The two different sets of mocks are from two different sets of companies. I used them alongside each other so basically I did "Mock 1" at a similar time and "Mock 10" at a similar time to each other.

Hope it helps! Check your test centre online for hopefully images, maybe it will help you prepare. Try not to get nervous, and remember that when you get into the room, I got plunged straight into the test (they don't wait for you to get ready). You have like 4 minutes then before the thing actually starts (because there's like 3 or something loading/instruction screens before you actually get into VR lol) and just maximise each one to calm yourself and take deep breaths and HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOURSELF! Good luck :). Tell me if the link doesn't work.

Incredible!! I’m curious.. how long did you spend preparing?
You can see an above response to see all the mocks and minimocks I did in a link/photo. (Content removed) but I never really did much until the last month. I had a lot of time to do extra UCAT bc of trials postponement (I aimed to do one mock per day for three weeks), but I never really did minimocks and I didn't do much of the question banks they offered except for AR in the final days because it was my worst. In the last few days however prior to my test I spent like 24 hours over 3 days grinding more mocks and questions and minimocks. (Took leave from school the day before my test!)

The day before I spent the whole day from 8-10:30 pm doing 2 mocks, like 9 minimocks and a bunch of AR Qbank questions from the official UCAT resources. Overall I spent a decent amount of time preparing, tho it was only really doing mocks because when I started, I was already doing very well so I wasn't TOO stressed about targeted intense preparation. I just tried to do a mock everyday to make sure I was consistent and obviously to maximise getting the highest score possible bc the UCAT is really important. In hindsight I should've focussed earlier on AR and VR (and ig DM considering my score) and started preparing long ago since there's so many questions in these prep company programs, but it doesn't matter now haha.

Last edited by a moderator:

JeydinNewWon

The centre was okay. I honestly don't know what I was expecting, but they were quite efficient and the rooms were quite big (socially distanced). Don't worry too much about that! Probably bring your own good set of earplugs bc my centre was a little noisy, and the clicking is SO annoying and I had to ask for those really dodgy ear plugs they have prepared for you (but it wasn't that bad haha).

This is a link of a screenshot of a rough overview of all the mocks I did. I averaged 3150 quite consistently throughout all my tests. The two different sets of mocks are from two different sets of companies. I used them alongside each other so basically I did "Mock 1" at a similar time and "Mock 10" at a similar time to each other.

Hope it helps! Check your test centre online for hopefully images, maybe it will help you prepare. Try not to get nervous, and remember that when you get into the room, I got plunged straight into the test (they don't wait for you to get ready). You have like 4 minutes then before the thing actually starts (because there's like 3 or something loading/instruction screens before you actually get into VR lol) and just maximise each one to calm yourself and take deep breaths and HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOURSELF! Good luck :). Tell me if the link doesn't work.
I suggest moving this to Predicting UCAT Mock Results Thread!

Also thanks heaps for taking the time out of your own study to write all of this advice and answer our questions! I too am a Sydney taker (gap year) and I'm assuming this is your first time and you're in Year 12. Means a lot considering that it's really stressful for you Year 12s atm, with all the lockdown and all that's destroying your HSC. So it means a lot that you're writing this! And even if you are not Year 12, it's still a big up on you for taking a lot of time to help others out. :)

I wish you all the best in getting into medicine xx!

JeydinNewWon

Honestly, I started out as being good at VR because I usually read fast naturally, and I read a lot of news (especially political/history) so I also had a good set of general knowledge to help me answer the questions, and understand things with more ease. I think that VR is by far the hardest to improve, and a lot of it is tied to reading speed.

But since you have 2 weeks, I can't say for sure what will help you, but my personal issues were timing and I would sometimes get low in my mocks bc I got bogged down by passages/questions that I wasn't fully sure and was obsessed with finding the answer or like thinking "no, I can't let all the time I spent on this question go to waste". So for me at least, the thing I just had to do in the real test was move on in difficult questions when I wasn't sure and make an educated guess. And it turned out well and I finished the subtest just in time.

If you wanna know my strategy, I always look at the question first. I then scan for keywords in the question to try find the answer and generally it works out. Reading the passage first is just too hard for me bc your absorbing too much information at once, and that's ESPECIALLY apparent if you don't know the topic well (it just zooms through your head) The harder ones for my strategy are the ones where they ask for the author's opinion (but for those, they're nearly always at the start or end of a passage and often you can make an educated guess from reading the first and last paragraphs).

The hardest ones are probably "which of the following is not true" or something like that and it's the hardest simply bc you need to check them systematically and either eliminate the rest, or find the right answer. (So basically you choose like A, verify it. If it doesn't work out, eliminate it and go to B). That's often very time-consuming, but it worked for me and often I used educated guesses or chose the options that seemed most plausible to verify first (it's a probability game sometimes!).

DEFINITELY I kept track of time. I don't skip passages/questions to come back to, because simply I don't have time to, and it messes my timing. Know what question you should be up to at specific time intervals. E.g. know at 10.5 mins you should be at Q22. At 7.5 minutes remaining you should be at Q29 etc. This will help pacing the most and tell you whether you need to speed up. If you realise you're pressured for time, you simply just have to guess things like the author's opinion or elimination ones and choose the one that seems most plausible. If you realise the answer in later questions you can ofc come back to it, but otherwise move on.

I'm sure others may be able to offer insight into what they did. I think you definitely have to practise it and test out different ways to see how well you fare up in minimocks/mocks. If you're getting low, no point continuing to do VR stuff without changing strategies, and just hoping you'll do well. Potentially you could try my way but skip all the "everything below is true except"-style questions and come back to it at the end if you're unsure...it's different for every individual. But good luck in your test! I hope you do well, and hopefully I may have helped a little.
I'm surprised that you enjoy reading political and history news (not that it's a bad thing, I think it's very good in fact). I think for me personally I don't enjoy reading politics/history all that much (unless of course, it's ancient history, which then I stan so much). Did you do anything like read Wikipedia articles then attempt to recall afterwards?

med23

thank you so much!!! my mocks have been fluctuating so much from like 2700 all the way to 3300 but hopefully i get a score i can post onto this page with confidence lol (ur average is a score i can only dream of 🤣)
I spent the whole day from 8-10:30 pm doing 2 mocks, like 9 minimocks
ALSO DAMN thats insane i tried to do 1 mock/day but gave up after a week 🤣🤣

Hi all,
I sat my ucat today and was pretty happy with my results, but more so my improvement from last year.
I did the ucat in Year 11 last year feeling cocky and overconfident and scored in the low 90s percentile, 2940 or something. My accelerated subjects didn't pan out the way I expected and I ended up not being able to use this score anyways. On to round two ->

This year, I approached it with a new attitude. I grinded out ike 4 full length mocks and made sure not to sleep at 2am the night before. Also, I didn't do anything 1 week leading up to the exam to ensure I had a fresh mind going into it. This ended up being the difference. My score breakdown was as follows
VR: 590 (This actuall decreased I think, but basically what I was averaging in my mocks so not too suprising)
DM: 840 (I was very suprised with this. I felt that it was far easier than the year before, but i think this is the topic where practice helps the most)
QR: 900
Ar: 890 (
Was lucky with the paterns i got. There were plenty of those similar to the ones with the faces with upsidown smiley faces and what not. Also, I got a square numbers question that I was proud of getting)
Total: 3220
SJ: 440
(Felt tired so just spammed A or D. I am actully kinda concerned with this, will doing this badly in this section impact my prospects at universities? If so it will be my biggest regret)

P.S. I only posted this because my friends told me to. I promise I am not doing this for affirmations like some of the others in this thread.

To those yet to do the UCAT, best of luck, you will do great. To those who have done it and received less than what they expected, don't be disheartened, there are many opporutniites (like myself) for improvement in the coming years.

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
I did the ucat in Year 11 last year feeling cocky and overconfident and scored in the low 90s percentile, 2940 or something. My accelerated subjects didn't pan out the way I expected and I ended up not being able to use this score anyways. On to round two ->
Congratulations on your results, but I thought Year 11 students weren't eligible to sit the UCAT, or was that rule not in place last year?

Status
Not open for further replies.