Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Practice Interview Question Thread

whoartthou

Is there a certain basic pattern that guides a good answer? Should one constantly have key pointers in the back of their mind to direct their answer and cover all their bases?

It depends on the specific question type but even amongst question types there will be multiple ways to answer the question. If you discuss the key ethical and social dilemmas that may be contributing to the scenario whilst progressing your discussion that would usually result in a good answer.
You don't need to "cover all bases" per say but you need to make sure you get the key points across. Any additional points that make logical sense will supplement your answer.

whoartthou

1. Initially I would not intervene with the mother and child, her choice of action of disciplining the child may have been successful in the past with removing poor behaviour and this is a continuation of that. As the mother may be clearly frustrated and disturbed by her children 'acting up' then her movement of pulling her other child can be seen as an extension of her mood. Should her behaviour become increasingly elevated with greater punishments in a public area (not that it is ok in a private area) then I would intervene by possibly interjecting with a question like, oh what has this little child done? or maybe mentioning a story of when I acted up as a child, to possibly bring humour to the situation by recalling when my mother wasn't happy with me to possibly relate to this women.
2. I think this behaviour may be considered unacceptable should it have happened by another guardian or stranger, some parents suggest other adults punish their children to 'scare them straight' but in this case it was just the mother. The case would also be dissimilar as a mother likely knows her child's recent behaviour and what techniques are effective in 'punishing' the child to improve their behaviour overall. While a stranger may share similar feelings to the mother with these disruptive children, their actions of smacking a child are not as well received in society as it may seem unnecessary or not the choice of not a parent.
3.The lady could be acting in this manner for a number of ways, each one is neither more important than the other entirely but, she could have been dealt like this as a child and believes it may work for her children, the mother is frustrated from the day/weeks with her children and has just snapped, the children have continuously acted in a way that the mother has not taught them to be right, the mother may commonly use smacking as a useful technique.
4. I constitute child abuse as physical, verbal, emotional or mental pain that can unintentional or intentionally faced toward a child. The abuse may be short-lived but anything more than once where the child is left feeling hurt, sad, distressed or angry can be considered child abuse. Abuse may also stem from neglect and failure to raise a child, therefore leading them down poorer paths of crime or poor education with a smaller chance of being able to function in society. Importantly, the actions of the parents need to negatively affect the child, such a depression, withdrawal, fear or anxiety.
In a 2min response, this would be mine

1. I think this is a tough question to answer. There really isn't enough information in the scenario to determine whether this constitutes as child abuse. I think you can list some situations where it may be appropriate to intervene vs other situations where it isn't appropriate. You did emphathise with the mother at least but could elaborate on this a bit further. This is such an open question that you can start discussing the issues surrounding child abuse.
2. Abuse is abuse either perpetrated by the mother or by another person. I don't really understand your answer here to be completely honest. I think you are trying to say societal's perception is to not use any force when interacting with someone elses child.
3. This is a prompt if you neglected to answer this in the first question.
4. I think most children will be sad if you didn't give them a lollipop but I do not consider this child abuse. It has to cause significant harm to the child's physical or mental well being to be constitute as child abuse. I think it's presumptive to say they will lead poorer paths because you are almost using it as a blanket statement for all these children. Instead you could have said it increases the risk that these children will lead such paths.

I would probably rate your response as at best an average given this scenario is quite difficult.

doggy

Thank you for your help! I find the feedback very useful, but would you also be able to provide examples of a response from a strong candidate? Thank you

whoartthou

You are close friends with a Joan (a mother of five children) whose husband is an entrepreneur who is always travelling. You meet Joan for coffee one day and you notice she is quite withdrawn and upset. Her 18 month old infant has recently been admitted into hospital for measles and is currently in a stable condition. She tells you that she was so busy at home, that she forgot to get him vaccinated. She feels extremely guilty and blames herself for her oversight.

1. What would you suggest to her as a friend?
2. Your friend asks you not to tell her husband. However, the husband suspects something and has called you. What do you say?
3. Your friend’s husband finds out what has happened and he becomes verbally abusive. Their relationship becomes strained. Your friend is asking for your advice.

LAV2

1. I recognise Joan's guilt over endangering her son, especially as an infant who would be more susceptible to serious conditions. I would reassure her that although her error is severe, she has taken the required steps when her son fell ill and since his condition is stabilising, the situation as of now has improved significantly. Further, I will ask her to check for any other missing vaccinations/treatment/procedures and to consult with their family physician to check this as well. I would also advise her, if she hadn't already, to maintain a record for all required treatments for her son with alerts (smartphone/calender) to assist her in remembering these details and to prevent future occurences of missed treatment. I will then explore the undermining issue of her busy-ness as a result from usually being the only parent at home with five kids to look after since her husband is always travelling, and suggest she find ways to alleviate the workload: if their financial situation allows it then hiring a babysitter to look after the children while the mother shops for groceries etc, or asking for grandparents or friends for help.

2. I understand the father's concern over the wellbeing of his children, but I will respect my friend's request to not disclose information about the situation. Instead, I suggest that he should talk with his wife about his concerns to allow both of them to work through this situation together.

3. It is clear that the family dynamic has suffered over the course of this situation, and I will advise my friend to seek counselling and/or therapy for both her and her husband to work over the emotional turmoil between them. I will advise my friend to ask extended family and friends to support her and reason/support him through this situation, and to ask him to assist her in maintaing scheduled treatments for their children; essentially for both of them to work in a constructive manner to better their relationship.

I'm not entirely sure about the answers I gave for q2 and q3, but I hope they address the main points of the scenario.

EDIT: whoops, didnt see that Jenga has already answered the question

Last edited:

whoartthou

1. What would you suggest to her as a friend?

Joan would be in a very worried state. Her emotions are running high, and she would be extremely anxious at this time of worry. As a friend, I would firstly comfort her, and offer her support in this time of need. I would take the blame off her, and say that it is not her fault. I would comfort her by saying that the infant is in a stable state, and is supported by multiple competent hospital staff. I would ask if she needs any help with any duties and would offer to complete these duties. I would suggest that she sees a therapist, who may help her control her emotions, and ensure her that it was not her fault, relieving her of guilt and stress.

2. Your friend asks you not to tell her husband. However, the husband suspects something and has called you. What do you say?

I would respect the decision of my friend, and would not tell her husband. If my friend wants to tell her husband, or doesn't, it is up to her to decide. I would hear what the husband has to say and would respond accordingly, keeping the confidentiality of my friend. If this husband is angry at my response, I would try to de-escalate the situation, giving the perspective of his wife, trying to calm him. I would also see the perspective of the husband, and see his point of view, as listening may help calm him.

3. Your friend’s husband finds out what has happened and he becomes verbally abusive. Their relationship becomes strained. Your friend is asking for your advice.

Once again, firstly, I would offer my friend support, and comfort her in this dire time. I would say phrases such as 'you don't deserve this' and 'I'm here for you.' She would be emotionally stressed because of the baby, and now because of her husband. I would gently push her towards a counselor or therapist, who would be better at offering advice than me, a friend. I would try to refrain from giving her specific advice, as they may only damage the relationship further, and it is better to get help from an expert. If she kept on insisting, I'd directly, rather than gently, tell her that they should both see a marriage counselor. I would also talk with the husband, and try to de-escalate him, and try to hear his perspective, and why he is acting this way. Just like to Joan, I would gently push him towards seeing a therapist, or counselor.

First time giving this a go, definitely up for answering some more, and receiving feedback.

I think overall your response is slightly above average. However, your choice in words can sometimes be better. You don't need to explicitly say this is what I would say. Also it is your friends fault for not getting the baby vaccinated as this was her responsibility so saying "it is not your fault" may discourage her from having insight into her mistakes and correcting them. I think it is good that you mentioned a therapist though.
You missed an important point of possible domestic violence and safety of your friend in the last point. You could have tried to find out more about the situation to see if this is what is happening which you neglected. "Gently push her towards" sounds like you are forcing it onto her which again is not the best way to word it, I would use "encourage".
If you read out your responses even as typed answers it doesn't sound as professional as expected. It would be more difficult giving an answer on the spot so I would suggest it is something you need to work on.

Last edited:

whoartthou

1. I recognise Joan's guilt over endangering her son, especially as an infant who would be more susceptible to serious conditions. I would reassure her that although her error is severe, she has taken the required steps when her son fell ill and since his condition is stabilising, the situation as of now has improved significantly. Further, I will ask her to check for any other missing vaccinations/treatment/procedures and to consult with their family physician to check this as well. I would also advise her, if she hadn't already, to maintain a record for all required treatments for her son with alerts (smartphone/calender) to assist her in remembering these details and to prevent future occurences of missed treatment. I will then explore the undermining issue of her busy-ness as a result from usually being the only parent at home with five kids to look after since her husband is always travelling, and suggest she find ways to alleviate the workload: if their financial situation allows it then hiring a babysitter to look after the children while the mother shops for groceries etc, or asking for grandparents or friends for help.

2. I understand the father's concern over the wellbeing of his children, but I will respect my friend's request to not disclose information about the situation. Instead, I suggest that he should talk with his wife about his concerns to allow both of them to work through this situation together.

3. It is clear that the family dynamic has suffered over the course of this situation, and I will advise my friend to seek counselling and/or therapy for both her and her husband to work over the emotional turmoil between them. I will advise my friend to ask extended family and friends to support her and reason/support him through this situation, and to ask him to assist her in maintaing scheduled treatments for their children; essentially for both of them to work in a constructive manner to better their relationship.

I'm not entirely sure about the answers I gave for q2 and q3, but I hope they address the main points of the scenario.

EDIT: whoops, didnt see that Jenga has already answered the question

1. Good answer. I think you could offer your assistance in this case as well. Empathise with your friend as "mistakes do happen" however, it is important to correct them and address them accordingly.
2. Agreed. Elaborate on your role and the issue with breaking your friend's trust. It is their personal problem and ideally you shouldn't be involved in the middle of it all however, encourage them to talk to each other.
3. I think you missed the domestic violence possibility here too. Elaborate further as you will have 8 mins.

Overall I think your answers sounds professional. Unfortunately, there isn't enough elaboration but I would rate your answers as an overall above average. If you elaborated it would have been an excellent response.

LAV2

1. Good answer. I think you could offer your assistance in this case as well. Empathise with your friend as "mistakes do happen" however, it is important to correct them and address them accordingly.
2. Agreed. Elaborate on your role and the issue with breaking your friend's trust. It is their personal problem and ideally you shouldn't be involved in the middle of it all however, encourage them to talk to each other.
3. I think you missed the domestic violence possibility here too. Elaborate further as you will have 8 mins.

Overall I think your answers sounds professional. Unfortunately, there isn't enough elaboration but I would rate your answers as an overall above average. If you elaborated it would have been an excellent response.
Thanks for the feedback. I agree that my answers to q2 and q3 were lacking in elaboration which will bring my overall response down.

whoartthou

You are the chairperson of a community organisation for disadvantaged children in a low socioeconomic area. A corporation wants to sponsor your organisation but also wants to use photos of the children in their advertising. Your organisation is struggling with funding and current finances indicate the organisation will only have enough money to continue operation for 1 more year.
1. What are the issues?
2. If it were a corporation had a good reputation for social responsibility, would you consider it?
3. Your staff at the organisation begs you to consider the donation as many of them have families and will be out of a job if this sponsorship deal does not go ahead. What do you do?
4. Are there any other ways to raise money for your organisation?

Mrpopquiz

1. What are the issues?
By allowing a corporation to sponsor my organization, the reputation and the public perception of the corporations will be linked to my organization. As such if the corporation is regarded negatively, whether because of the particular sector the corporation is in (ex. tobacco) or how they conduct their business (ex. known for exploitation of workers) it can have an influence on the perception of my organization. Which will have a direct impact on people’s willingness to donate or volunteer, and other’s willingness to receive help from us.

Another possible issue is that it can seem quite exploitative to use these disadvantaged children as a means to generate revenue for the company. These children and their parents are coerced to give permission to use their photos as they aren’t able to properly evaluate if they’re willing to let pictures of them appear on ads. Since the consequences of them declining, is the withholding funds not only from themselves but other families in need as well. The above is in line with the concepts of absolutism or Kantian ethics. Although the ends are the increase in funding given to these families, it's done through the means of coercion.

2. If it were a corporation had a good reputation for social responsibility, would you consider it?
If a corporation as such is sponsoring my organization, I would consider it and deem it to be ethical as I believe that it’ll yield benefits on top of the funding we’ll receive. For a corporation to be recognized as a good reputation for social responsibility in the first place, it would have to be already somewhat involved in similar organizations. Thus through their sponsorship, it could bring awareness to my organization and status of these disadvantaged children which raises people’s propensity to donate and the willingness and number of people receiving our help.

3. Your staff at the organization begs you to consider the donation as many of them have families and will be out of a job if this sponsorship deal does not go ahead. What do you do?

Although there are 2 concerns that could be raised and could be considered unethical under some school of ethics, I would evaluate the situation from a deontological point of view which is to maximize happiness and make the decision based on an overarching cost-benefit analysis. Thus I would personally go ahead with the sponsorship deal. Not only will the sponsorship deal assist in allowing the staff to continue their job, but it will also allow us to continue and perhaps expand the range of services and things we can do to help children in low socioeconomic areas. Even is the sponsorship is from a corporation with not the greatest track record in terms of social responsibility, the extra funding is able to help us get our message across and various campaigns can be used to raised awareness to the issue and perhaps get people to be more eager to donate and help out. Thus possibly negating the issue of association with the corporation.

There are various ways to raise money such as holding a community recycling event where a local school district can partner with an electronics recycling company and receive a payment based on the amount recycled. This also has an added benefit of helping out the environment. Other more common fundraisers are possible as well such as some kind of fair where they are able to sell things that exemplified the community they live in which allows people to have a great understanding of these people in need. Another way could be to spread awareness of the issues and challenges children in the low socioeconomic areas need to overcome online and allowing individuals to donate or sign up to participate online.

BTW, phew this is quite a hard one for me. would definitely bomb in actual mmi

You are the chairperson of a community organisation for disadvantaged children in a low socioeconomic area. A corporation wants to sponsor your organisation but also wants to use photos of the children in their advertising. Your organisation is struggling with funding and current finances indicate the organisation will only have enough money to continue operation for 1 more year.
1. What are the issues?
The issues for me come down to:
  • For both the organisation (its employees and the work it does) and children, the lack of resources and funding to maintain operation of the organisation that supports the children to live more healthily and happily + the potential that without funding and the organisation shutting down, they lose a lot of the already little support they already have
  • the issues with the potential funding - that corporations are often not run to do good but for profit thus raising questions on the underlying motives for the sponsorship (the additional linkage of image between the organisation and corporation could also be a negative depending on public perception of the company and what business they are in) + the need for consent from the children/their guardians with any photos taken ( would they want to be a face for disadvantage or exploited in this manner? - it can be embarrassing)

I would consider it only as far as the community wants to consider it, as above all I've been put in a position to represent their needs and voice and as such the organisation's actions must reflect what the community wants. Although the sponsorship and advertising does provide funding, resources and awareness to our cause which in turn can continually provide for the children, it can be demeaning to place children in a position where they are able to be taken advantage of by a large corporation. Of course, a corporation with good reputation for social responsibility would be seen as favourable in the communities eyes and as such the offer would be more likely to be accepted. Additionally, they are more likely to be open with how they plan on using the children's photos and if it's for a good cause, this information would be a large push in making the deal happen. Personally, I could see it as fundamentally ethical if it brings the right kind of awareness for the children's needs i.e. not used as corporate promotion but rather that it generates awareness for the issue's facing the kids

3. Your staff at the organisation begs you to consider the donation as many of them have families and will be out of a job if this sponsorship deal does not go ahead. What do you do?

Do my due diligence to support my employees whilst still looking out for whats best for the children and the community. I would look at alternate ways to fund the organisation where possible and potentially restructure the organisation's activities to become more efficient and allow the employees to be more flexible with their work. Additionally, encourage them to use that flexibility to search for other work and plan for their futures.

- Reaching out to other more ethical sponsors without the caveat of photos/advertising ==> potentially wealthy sponsors that have links back to the community (grew up there, etc.)
- charity based community events (additionally bring greater awareness to the issues)
- petition local government members to generate awareness and tangible change/support for goodwill'ed organisations

This was a struggle to get out, some feedback would be great :)

whoartthou

I think both of you did an excellent job on the answers. Just remember you would have to think of this on the spot and given an answer orally.

For question 2 I think at the end of the day the decision still lies with your organisation rather than the community. It's rather the impact you will have on the community as a result of the funding.

For question 3 you both could have explored the opposite side of what you stated. So taking the money might result in pressure from the organisation to push you to do things you would not have considered. Even if this saves jobs it might result in irreparable harm to your organisation which may pose long term issues.

I would be quite impressed by both answers in an interview.
There isn't always a best answer to the scenario and you can achieve good marks even with different answers as long as you cover the important issues/points.

Last edited:

H2.

Whoartthou, I appreciate what you're doing here. :)
I wrote a response to an old scenario you posted.
If you don't mind, please critique.
I won't resent you if you do not.

You’re having coffee at a café on your day off work when you see a lady looking annoyed and frustrated with three children in a disheveled state. One of the children starts misbehaving and you watch as she disciplines him by smacking him. The child starts crying and the mother yanks the other child by the arm to get him to move.

What do you do?

1. On one hand: I could accept that people have different ways of disciplining their children and her way of doing so is not unusual or extreme. And thus mind my own business, unless the form of discipline witnessed becomes extreme.
  2. On the other hand: I may look to help the distressed woman, and explore the situation further by seeking more information.
E.g. I could approach the woman and make the point that she seems to have a lot on her hands. This is unlikely to come across confrontational and she may open up and express why she is annoyed. I could also offer the lady support, asking her if she needs help carrying groceries for example or if she would like to go to the coffee shop and speak more - to ease the situation - or give her a number for counseling if appropriate. Simultaneously, I could analyse the children to check if they’re healthy and any signs of child abuse. Further, I could try to determine if the lady is on drugs, in poverty etc. and ultimately whether she is a fit parent. When the lady seems to be more comfortable, I would ask why she slapped the child. Once I have these pieces of information, I can make a more educated decision.
To deal with this situation effectively or determine child abuse etc. more information is required and thus the second approach is preferred.

Would this change if the lady wasn’t the child’s mother?
Probably, depends on the circumstances. I would need to find out what is her relationship with the children. Is she a babysitter? A guardian? A family member? A kidnapper? I believe that forms of discipline should be decided by the parents/guardians and unless the lady has been given consent to hit the child it is not appropriate or ethical. And of course, even then, corporal punishment should be within reason, not to the extent where it can be deemed child abuse.

Why do you think the lady could have been behaving in this way?
The possible reasons are endless. However, I think the most probable reason is that she feels overwhelmed and frustrated with the children who are misbehaving (based off the scenario.)

What constitutes as child abuse?
Child abuse could be described as intentional or unintentional maltreatment of a child. This may come in the form of:
- Neglect.
- Physical/emotional/sexual harassment.
- Permitting someone to abuse a child (when safety isn't in danger or comprimised) or encouraging it.

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
- “Long term” physical or emotional maltreatment or sexual molestation of a child, or allowing it to happen/encouraging it.
- Neglect.
- This can be intentional or unintentional.

I'm going to leave it to whoartthou to give you the critique, however I will just point out something very important, mistreatment doesn't have to be "long term" to constitute child abuse, for example, a single instance of shaking a baby is child abuse, a single indecent act is also, so you may want to re-think that response and perhaps re-word before whoartthou gets to this.

H2.

I'm going to leave it to whoartthou to give you the critique, however I will just point out something very important, mistreatment doesn't have to be "long term" to constitute child abuse, for example, a single instance of shaking a baby is child abuse, a single indecent act is also, so you may want to re-think that response and perhaps re-word before whoartthou gets to this.
Thank you LMG, I'll reword it. And you're right. Feel free to crtique too if you like.

whoartthou

Whoartthou, I appreciate what you're doing here. :)
I wrote a response to an old scenario you posted.
If you don't mind, please critique.
I won't resent you if you do not.

You’re having coffee at a café on your day off work when you see a lady looking annoyed and frustrated with three children in a disheveled state. One of the children starts misbehaving and you watch as she disciplines him by smacking him. The child starts crying and the mother yanks the other child by the arm to get him to move.

What do you do?

1. On one hand: I could accept that people have different ways of disciplining their children and her way of doing so is not unusual or extreme. And thus mind my own business, unless the form of discipline witnessed becomes extreme.
  2. On the other hand: I may look to help the distressed woman, and explore the situation further by seeking more information.
E.g. I could approach the woman and make the point that she seems to have a lot on her hands. This is unlikely to come across confrontational and she may open up and express why she is annoyed. I could also offer the lady support, asking her if she needs help carrying groceries for example or if she would like to go to the coffee shop and speak more - to ease the situation - or give her a number for counseling if appropriate. Simultaneously, I could analyse the children to check if they’re healthy and any signs of child abuse. Further, I could try to determine if the lady is on drugs, in poverty etc. and ultimately whether she is a fit parent. When the lady seems to be more comfortable, I would ask why she slapped the child. Once I have these pieces of information, I can make a more educated decision.
To deal with this situation effectively or determine child abuse etc. more information is required and thus the second approach is preferred.

Would this change if the lady wasn’t the child’s mother?
Probably, depends on the circumstances. I would need to find out what is her relationship with the children. Is she a babysitter? A guardian? A family member? A kidnapper? I believe that forms of discipline should be decided by the parents/guardians and unless the lady has been given consent to hit the child it is not appropriate or ethical. And of course, even then, corporal punishment should be within reason, not to the extent where it can be deemed child abuse.

Why do you think the lady could have been behaving in this way?
The possible reasons are endless. However, I think the most probable reason is that she feels overwhelmed and frustrated with the children who are misbehaving (based off the scenario.)

Child abuse could be described as intentional or unintentional maltreatment of a child. This may come in the form of:
- Neglect.
- Physical/emotional/sexual harassment.
- Permitting someone to abuse a child (when safety isn't in danger or comprimised) or encouraging it.

"If appropriate" needs to be defined. What does it mean? If she wasn't coping then yes counselling might be necessary.
Being on drugs doesn't constitute child abuse. Many adults use alcohol or take medication but still look after children, they are "technically on drugs". If being on drugs results in the harm or neglect of the child then yes that is a problem.

You almost contradict yourself here. Discipline is dictated by the parents/guardian but what is corporal punishment within reason? Explain it properly and give specifics. A light smack on the bottom might be appropriate but a slap to the face or leaving a bruise isn't.

List the possibilities. Don't say it's endless. They are asking you for the reason. You need to give examples.

Child abuse defintion can be easily looked up but this question probably won't influence your marks much unless it is completely wrong.

I think in an actual interview your answer would be at best considered average.

H2.

"If appropriate" needs to be defined. What does it mean? If she wasn't coping then yes counselling might be necessary.
Being on drugs doesn't constitute child abuse. Many adults use alcohol or take medication but still look after children, they are "technically on drugs". If being on drugs results in the harm or neglect of the child then yes that is a problem.

You almost contradict yourself here. Discipline is dictated by the parents/guardian but what is corporal punishment within reason? Explain it properly and give specifics. A light smack on the bottom might be appropriate but a slap to the face or leaving a bruise isn't.

List the possibilities. Don't say it's endless. They are asking you for the reason. You need to give examples.

Child abuse defintion can be easily looked up but this question probably won't influence your marks much unless it is completely wrong.

Thank you very much.
1. Fair enough "appropiate was vague," - rather than being on drugs would trying to determine if she has a "drug problem," be better?
2. and 3. I will fix this up. On future attempts, ill be more specific and provide examples.

When answering questions like the child abuse question would it be wrong to acknowledge the limitations of your understanding here whilst still acknowledging it in general as harm or neglect of a child? It's a sensitive topic and there afaik shouldn't be any expectation for us to know the nuances of what constitutes child abuse

H2.

Whoartthou would it be ok if I posted scenarios? I have come across some tricky ones and would like to see how others respond to it.