Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Practice Interview Question Thread

Does anyone have any advice for responding to questions such as: You are lost in an Asian country. What do you do?
Thanks (I know it is a bit vague - sorry!)

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Sounds like something similar to what I got asked in my JCU interview... Although I think mine was lost in a rural area.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Bruh what? Is this an actual interview question?
JCU definitely asks questions similar to this. The variation I got was “Describe a time when you’ve been in a new and unfamiliar environment, and how did you deal with it?” or something to that effect.

Can someone please briefly outline how they would approach these questions?

I'll give this a shot...
WWYD? I would first find a way to remove the published piece of work or indicate somehow that it is still unfinished work. I would then ascertain what piece of evidence it was that negated my hypothesis. How does it conflict with previous results? Is it the only time this particular outcome has presented? If so, why? Was it an issue with instrumentation or method? Who was performing these tests? I would say that if there was no evidence of anyone trying to manipulate the data or malfunction in the apparatus used or mistakes in method, then I would redirect the discussion to why the hypothesis was in invalid. Yes, it may be disheartening to have hours of work go down the drain but it may still inspire future research.
I would also address the issue of the supervisor publishing my work without consent, in a non-confrontational manner. What was their motive? Did they think they were doing me a favour by getting the research out there or were they trying to sabotage my career? Should they have known better to ask for consent? In either case, I would encourage them to speak to appropriate authority about the misconduct because it is still intellectual property that they published without my knowledge - regardless of if they were my supervisor or not. Now, they may not take lightly to this and so I would do my best to make them understand that I am looking out for academic integrity and trying to understand why they felt the need to publish the unfinished paper.

I may still attend the conference, seeing as it is in a month. If the time and resources permit, I would perform another round of testing (if I didn't conduct the last confirmatory tests in the first place) to ensure that the hypothesis is in fact invalidated. It would be degrading, in a way, to have such an outcome but I would be transparent about the results. It would be unethical to publish false claims, so I'd make the presentation about why or where it went wrong, and discuss the original purpose of the research had the hypothesis been valid. Definitely would highlight the importance of having protocol or procedures to prevent things like that from happening to other research teams.

There would be issues of use of resources and funding essentially 'going to waste', as well as the time of the research team (and test subjects, if they were part of the research) if the hypothesis was indeed invalid. I'm not certain what the procedures would but as a form of courtesy I would apologise for using up their time.
---------
Not really sure about the ins and outs, but I've tried to explore as many facets of the case as I could think of and the issue of academic integrity at the forefront of my answer. Feel free to add your own thoughts!

Reactions: H2.

H2.

A doctor has smelt of alcohol many times in the past, you confront him about it and he tells you it just happened on one occaison and it won't happen again. Now, he smells of alcohol again, if you confront him about it now and he says he didn't consume it, the smell is his aftershave etc. What would you do?

H2.

A doctor has smelt of alcohol many times in the past, you confront him about it and he tells you it just happened on one occaison and it won't happen again. Now, he smells of alcohol again, if you confront him about it now and he says he didn't consume it, the smell is his aftershave etc. What would you do?
Also are doctors supposed to be completely alcohol free? Because, I'm sure you can smell of it, while drinking sensible amounts.

JCU definitely asks questions similar to this. The variation I got was “Describe a time when you’ve been in a new and unfamiliar environment, and how did you deal with it?” or something to that effect.
Yep - they seem very common at JCU from what I have heard. Does anyone have any advice as how to approach this?
Thanks

whoartthou

Yep - they seem very common at JCU from what I have heard. Does anyone have any advice as how to approach this?
Thanks

You need to make it personal. There isn't a right way to answer this question as you can do multiple things to deal with it. It's really coming up with ideas and solutions to the situation. What you do is also based on the circumstances. I feel too often students think there is a set marking grid for questions when sometimes there isn't.

Circumstantial again depending on the strength of your index of suspicion. If it is strong then you would report to the regulatory body and let them investigate. It could possibly be just aftershave in which case your report may damage the reputation or cause unecessary emotional distress for the doctor. You can speak to them directly to ascertain the situation further if necessary. Are there other signs of intoxication? Has there been errors made that is unusual? Are there other colleagues or people who have made complaints? etc. etc. Lots of things to discuss. I think it's a pretty easy question to answer.

Last edited:

H2.

Universities have moved away from these questions because at the end of the day it will help immensely if you had medical knowledge.
Whoartthou in that case, is it safe to say one would not receive "prioritisation questions" in an MMI?

whoartthou

I haven't heard of them asking it in recent years in Australian university interviews.

I'll give this a shot...
WWYD? I would first find a way to remove the published piece of work or indicate somehow that it is still unfinished work. I would then ascertain what piece of evidence it was that negated my hypothesis. How does it conflict with previous results? Is it the only time this particular outcome has presented? If so, why? Was it an issue with instrumentation or method? Who was performing these tests? I would say that if there was no evidence of anyone trying to manipulate the data or malfunction in the apparatus used or mistakes in method, then I would redirect the discussion to why the hypothesis was in invalid. Yes, it may be disheartening to have hours of work go down the drain but it may still inspire future research.
I would also address the issue of the supervisor publishing my work without consent, in a non-confrontational manner. What was their motive? Did they think they were doing me a favour by getting the research out there or were they trying to sabotage my career? Should they have known better to ask for consent? In either case, I would encourage them to speak to appropriate authority about the misconduct because it is still intellectual property that they published without my knowledge - regardless of if they were my supervisor or not. Now, they may not take lightly to this and so I would do my best to make them understand that I am looking out for academic integrity and trying to understand why they felt the need to publish the unfinished paper.

I may still attend the conference, seeing as it is in a month. If the time and resources permit, I would perform another round of testing (if I didn't conduct the last confirmatory tests in the first place) to ensure that the hypothesis is in fact invalidated. It would be degrading, in a way, to have such an outcome but I would be transparent about the results. It would be unethical to publish false claims, so I'd make the presentation about why or where it went wrong, and discuss the original purpose of the research had the hypothesis been valid. Definitely would highlight the importance of having protocol or procedures to prevent things like that from happening to other research teams.

There would be issues of use of resources and funding essentially 'going to waste', as well as the time of the research team (and test subjects, if they were part of the research) if the hypothesis was indeed invalid. I'm not certain what the procedures would but as a form of courtesy I would apologise for using up their time.
---------
Not really sure about the ins and outs, but I've tried to explore as many facets of the case as I could think of and the issue of academic integrity at the forefront of my answer. Feel free to add your own thoughts!

I think the main issue here is publication of your results without consent and possible scientific misconduct. As a PHD student your supervisor is there to help with your queries but the research, results etc. are your own.

I think you asked valid questions but this question isn't really about you not getting the right results. This is an ethical dilemma in which some people might consider submitting or ignoring the results so they could publish and therefore, gain recognition for their work. There has been a few cases recently considered to be "scientific misconduct" and the most notorious being Andrew Wakefield linking vaccination to autism which has resulted in a ridiculous amount of harm done to public safety and health. You can mention this example as it directly relates to the question being asked. Integrity of scientific research is paramount here.

Most research actually do not support the hypothesis but it allows future research to learn meaning they might try a different method etc. It is important to understand research is never wasted and it should be published even if it doesn't support the hypothesis because you may help others down the line. I don't think there is a need to apologise, everyone knows the risks involved in research and this is how it is.

The bulk of your first answer probably wouldn't be scoring you any marks as it misses the key considerations. Luckily you address this later.

Last edited:

H2.

You head out bushwalking with a friend and your brother. You have only been bushwalking once before, and this would be your younger brother’s first time out in the bush. After wandering off the path for 30 minutes, your friend falls and breaks her leg. You are lost. No one knows you have gone bushwalking. What do you do? What would you bring with you if you were going bushwalking?

Can you expect any questions like these in an MMI?
This would be my plan, I'd attempt it if worthwile.
- I feel like the friend breaking the leg, what do you do? would involve medical knowlege to treat or help her. And you could probably ask a bunch of questions in the scenario like do you have a flare? map? etc.
With regards what to do after that, I would see if carrying the friend would be possible without harming her further, if not, I could maybe have younger brother stay put with her, while I retrace footprints/footsteps to find people and get medical help.
- What would you bring with you? I'd consult experienced bushwalkers before going on the trip to ensure I have the necessities and other resources required in a surivival or injury situaton.

whoartthou

You head out bushwalking with a friend and your brother. You have only been bushwalking once before, and this would be your younger brother’s first time out in the bush. After wandering off the path for 30 minutes, your friend falls and breaks her leg. You are lost. No one knows you have gone bushwalking. What do you do? What would you bring with you if you were going bushwalking?

Can you expect any questions like these in an MMI?
This would be my plan, I'd attempt it if worthwile.
- I feel like the friend breaking the leg, what do you do? would involve medical knowlege to treat or help her. And you could probably ask a bunch of questions in the scenario like do you have a flare? map? etc.
With regards what to do after that, I would see if carrying the friend would be possible without harming her further, if not, I could maybe have younger brother stay put with her, while I retrace footprints/footsteps to find people and get medical help.
- What would you bring with you? I'd consult experienced bushwalkers before going on the trip to ensure I have the necessities and other resources required in a surivival or injury situaton.

Yes I've seen this question before.

It's basically coming up with solutions to your predicament. As long as it makes logical sense it will be given a mark.

What would you bring with you if you were going bushwalking? You didn't answer the question. Therefore you will most likely get a 0 here.

LISTEN TO THE QUESTION! Given that this was typed out you should not have missed the answer. Given the interview is a high pressure and high stakes situation there is an increased likelihood of mishearing or misinterpreting the question.

yoooo

You are the chair of a school board and have recently been given money to erect a flag pole by a local community group. On announcing this to the school there is some disagreement about what kind of flag should be flown - Australian / Aboriginal / Torres Strait Islanders. Some people are stating there needs to be an Aboriginal flag for equal representation but others are saying there aren't enough people at the school to justify a Torres Strait flag. How would you approach this situation?
^^this is a scenario outlined earlier in this thread. I'm stuck on this scenario, how would you go about this one?

H2.

Yes I've seen this question before.

It's basically coming up with solutions to your predicament. As long as it makes logical sense it will be given a mark.

What would you bring with you if you were going bushwalking? You didn't answer the question. Therefore you will most likely get a 0 here.

LISTEN TO THE QUESTION! Given that this was typed out you should not have missed the answer. Given the interview is a high pressure and high stakes situation there is an increased likelihood of mishearing or misinterpreting the question.
Do you by any chance have the opportunity to take the scenario with you into the interview?

weebuforreal

stats noob and a definite weaboo
Do you by any chance have the opportunity to take the scenario with you into the interview?

Typically not. For Adelaide, I think they did for the 2nd panel. For WSU, they didn't, but they had a copy of the scenario for nearly all, if not all, stations inside anyway. For JMP, they had an outline of the station to read outside of the station, and then inside, you got the more specific scenario.

H2.

Typically not. For Adelaide, I think they did for the 2nd panel. For WSU, they didn't, but they had a copy of the scenario for nearly all, if not all, stations inside anyway. For JMP, they had an outline of the station to read outside of the station, and then inside, you got the more specific scenario.
Thank you Gav, do you know what the case is for Monash?

CristinaYang

Monash V 🐬
Newbie of the Year 2019
In my opinion, whether you'll be taking the sheet in with you is not something to stress abt. Especially in the interviews I've been to, like Gav10 has explained, they're set up in a way that generally you shouldn't have any problem with the sheet. I think it would be reasonable to assume that it won't be a big stressor at Monash 🤞 All the best for your interview/s!

whoartthou

Thank you Gav, do you know what the case is for Monash?

Most universities will display the scenario outside the door and inside the room. So you should have them available to you if you need to refer to it. A lot of students then begin looking at the scenario in front of them instead of the interviewer.