Pre-UCAT 2019 Discussion

Discussion in 'UCAT' started by geek, Nov 17, 2018.

1. geek

geek New Member

Hello UCAT 2019 people,
    As the UCAT has recently been introduced in Australia for the very first time,I was wondering if anyone was interested to form an online study group where we can ask each other questions and form a timeline for our preparation.I feel quite lost and I think an online group will motivate us all to work hard.
    Comment below if interested

P. S use this thread to ask any questions

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    SammyStudent and Kat92 like this.
  2. Kat92

Kat92 (Student BDemCare|BBeSt|BNurs) Hopeful for JMP

Volunteer St John Adv Responder/ Health Student.
    If the admins allow it we could perhaps have a forum somewhere dedicated on here at MSO.

I would be up for it when I have time between what I am currently studying health-wise, as I have just currently been going through some of the UKCAT stuff online and in one of the books I purchased.

3. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    We did something similar to this for UMAT 2017 in particular so I’d be happy to set up a thread here. It was just a pre-UMAT discussion thread, but about 10 of us used it pretty solidly to share tips and thoughts and experiences with prep materials, to ask questions, and to keep each other motivated.

Is that the kind of thing you’re thinking of? If so, I’ll just re-name this thread something a little more obvious and it can be underway that quickly :D

4. geek

geek New Member

Yes please,that would be wonderful LMG....thanks a lot :)

5. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    Done :) Just a head’s up that you may struggle for ‘members’ this side of Christmas but things will pick up early in the new year. Also, in 2017 when the UMAT prep thread was incredibly active and collaborative, a small group of us who were doing the exam that year really drove things. It may take some effort to get off the ground. I’ll do what I can, but it really works best when people who are invested get involved. It’s also a little hard to predict how the change to UCAT will affect things. My gut says there’ll be more activity as everyone will be uncertain, but who knows!

Good luck :D

6. geek

geek New Member

Thanks a lot

7. medicallyblonde

medicallyblonde New Member

One thing I have been prepping is a Situational Judgement document based on the seven broad topic areas with the two different types of answers (appropriateness and importance), it would be a great resource with extra collaboration?

Jenga118 and LMG! like this.
  8. geek

geek New Member

Hey can you please link up the document so we can all add in our stuff

cheers

9. kiwikillaz

kiwikillaz New Member

Yes, I would also like to help out, please send me the link

qwerty1234 likes this.
  10. medicallyblonde

medicallyblonde New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2018
    Glorious_Squid likes this.
  11. SammyStudent

SammyStudent New Member

Yes, definitely interested!

12. CardiacSurgeon

CardiacSurgeon New Member

Hey guys,

I think this question will be stupid, but I gotta ask ,
    Are we allowed to sit the UCAT while studying an undergraduate degree? Or is the UCAT only for non-university people??

If we are allowed to sit it during a degree, do the results carry over to the following year?

Thanks!

13. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Griffith MD
    Yes
    No, results are only valid for the year that you sat the exam.

CardiacSurgeon likes this.
  14. CardiacSurgeon

CardiacSurgeon New Member

Thank youu!! Apologies for asking again (didnt get a notification for this :) )

Crow likes this.
  15. newcomers

newcomers New Member

Hey! How do we join the this online study group??

16. CristinaYang

CristinaYang New Member

Hi! I was wondering if anyone has any specific tips/hacks for the QR section as I really seem to be struggling with it. It’s not necessarily the maths that I’m having difficulty with more the interpretation of the questions/how to approach them.

17. Blackjoe

Blackjoe New Member

What resources are you using to practice? How many questions are you getting right and how many are you getting wrong? It won't really be easy to help without knowing the specifics for your struggles, but my advice would probably be taking the question slowly trying to ensure that you have a solid comprehension of the question and then speeding up as you improve. Also if the resources give you another method of solving the problem that you did not use, try and understand how their method works and how you can use it yourself. This should improve you knowledge base of potential QR questions helping to identify potential solutions in the future.

CristinaYang likes this.
  18. bigyikes

bigyikes New Member

WSU have updated their MD entry requirements page with information about the UCAT. Interestingly, there's no information I can find about GWS students having a lower UCAT score threshold for interview invite compared to non-GWS, in contrast to what they used to say on the website about the UMAT. Wonder if Western Sydney is dropping their GWS bias for the UCAT?

19. Ploppy123

Ploppy123 New Member

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I see a lot of people sitting the UCAT next year in hope of getting a better mark than their UMAT this year and get into dent/med in 2020. I was just wondering if you decide to go this route will you need to take a gap year and not start uni? Or is going to uni fine if you transfer to med/dent during the end of 1st year of uni.

20. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    It depends, is the short answer. Are you wanting a general comment or info related to you specifically? If so, we’d need your ATAR and the state you’re from.