Pre-UCAT Discussion 2021

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
The rules that were in place last year regarding discussion, questions, mentions, vague allusions, or euphemisms for prep companies remain in place and posts that violate this will be subject to strong moderation, formal warnings, and site bans.

GOOD LUCK, UCAT 2021 TEST TAKERS!

Anyone else sitting UCAT again (second time)? *sigh*
I don't even know where to start or what to change in my preparation...
Last year I got 84th percentile, this year's goal is 98th :D (putting it out there to hold myself accountable :p )
Does anyone have any advice on when to start studying for it as a retaker? Should I do one mock exam a week during my uni sem and then one every couple of days leading up to the exam in the July uni holidays? I'm a third-year uni student studying full time (avoiding GAMSAT at all costs if I can coz sounds a trek and a half compared to UCAT)

someday

Last year I got 84th percentile, this year's goal is 98th :D (putting it out there to hold myself accountable :p )
Does anyone have any advice on when to start studying for it as a retaker? Should I do one mock exam a week during my uni sem and then one every couple of days leading up to the exam in the July uni holidays? I'm a third-year uni student studying full time (avoiding GAMSAT at all costs if I can coz sounds a trek and a half compared to UCAT)
its good that youve set high goals and are holding yourself to it! i personally did 1 mock per week starting about march/april and moved to two a week starting in july (my exam was july 31st).
definitely look at how many mocks you have and then space them out accordingly - i'd say you want at least 1 per week up til your exam (but no more than 2) and before you start mocks probably grind out quite a few practice questions so you can find your weaknesses early and address them early in your prep (rather than "wasting" a mock to find out your weaknesses; imo mocks should be progress markers+stamina practice rather than weakness finders). i would say practice for at least 1 month before hitting your first mock, but it defs depends on how confident you feel!
good luck! and sorry for the ramble hahaha :)

I’m sitting UCAT for the first time this year and finished my BSc last year. I’m also avoiding GAMSAT at all costs 🤣

dhwanishk

Scoring pretty low so far in most of the subtests (embarrassingly low - though I've just started). Is this likely to change? Realistically how much improvement is possible in an aptitude test over a 6 month period?

its good that youve set high goals and are holding yourself to it! i personally did 1 mock per week starting about march/april and moved to two a week starting in july (my exam was july 31st).
definitely look at how many mocks you have and then space them out accordingly - i'd say you want at least 1 per week up til your exam (but no more than 2) and before you start mocks probably grind out quite a few practice questions so you can find your weaknesses early and address them early in your prep (rather than "wasting" a mock to find out your weaknesses; imo mocks should be progress markers+stamina practice rather than weakness finders). i would say practice for at least 1 month before hitting your first mock, but it defs depends on how confident you feel!
good luck! and sorry for the ramble hahaha :)
This sounds like a really good plan actually! I might start that! I do have I think 31 mocks plus the official resources yikesss that sounds like alot

I’m sitting UCAT for the first time this year and finished my BSc last year. I’m also avoiding GAMSAT at all costs 🤣
Omg good luck!!! :D
Scoring pretty low so far in most of the subtests (embarrassingly low - though I've just started). Is this likely to change? Realistically how much improvement is possible in an aptitude test over a 6 month period?
Yesssss it will change dont stress!!
Okay so I dont have some miracle story about how I went from 5th percentile to 99th in 2 weeks buuuut I was in a similar situation to you last year and so I thought I'd give you some motivation!
In the table below are my scores and the dates of a full length mock that I did at the very beginning of my prep compared to how I scored in the actual UCAT exam 2020.
VR didnt go up that much but that was because I was super stressed on the day and got super distracted by the tapping of keyboards around me and got super freaked out but my mocks leading up to the exam I was scoring 700-800 in for VR. DM I also felt I improved alot more than what my UCAT score reflected...like when I first started I was barely getting the YES/NO questions right but as I practiced more I could identify the answer alot faster. As for QR for this particular mock I did, the QR was a bit harder than the real thing but my mark dramatically improved when I practiced on a keyboard with the number pad on the side, as well as learning how to use the calculator and practiced that heaps because the actual math in the questions isnt hard. Also I memorised the formulas I would need too because idk the math is so basic I kinda forgot how to use it like the percentage changes hahahha. AR honestly was fully just guessed in my diagnostic I wasnt able to figure out a single pattern at all. As for the actual UCAT, I think I figured out every pattern except 2???? but both I was able to kinda see a pattern or figure out one of the rules so they were good guesses. Also my mock exams leading up to the exam were like 2550-2700ish so I really wasnt expecting to do as well as I did in the actual UCAT
But yeh 6 months is plentyyyyy of time for an amplitude test! I reckon I did about 2 hours a week in over the uni holidays between November - end of February, no study during the uni semester and then maybe 10-15 hours a week in the 4 weeks leading up to my UCAT.
And yeah my score isnt the best nor has it gotten me an offer this year rip but in terms of how much you can improve, I was in a similar situation to you last year thinking what the hell am I gonna do but that was how I improved :D hope that helps :)

VRDMQRARSJTTotalPercentileDate
diagnostic550570450540221007th15/11/19
Final UCAT580670720860641283084th15/07/20

2xq

Allied Health Member
second time lucky this year? we shall see. (and yes 2nd year sitter as well)

dhwanishk

This sounds like a really good plan actually! I might start that! I do have I think 31 mocks plus the official resources yikesss that sounds like alot

Omg good luck!!! :D

Yesssss it will change dont stress!!
Okay so I dont have some miracle story about how I went from 5th percentile to 99th in 2 weeks buuuut I was in a similar situation to you last year and so I thought I'd give you some motivation!
In the table below are my scores and the dates of a full length mock that I did at the very beginning of my prep compared to how I scored in the actual UCAT exam 2020.
VR didnt go up that much but that was because I was super stressed on the day and got super distracted by the tapping of keyboards around me and got super freaked out but my mocks leading up to the exam I was scoring 700-800 in for VR. DM I also felt I improved alot more than what my UCAT score reflected...like when I first started I was barely getting the YES/NO questions right but as I practiced more I could identify the answer alot faster. As for QR for this particular mock I did, the QR was a bit harder than the real thing but my mark dramatically improved when I practiced on a keyboard with the number pad on the side, as well as learning how to use the calculator and practiced that heaps because the actual math in the questions isnt hard. Also I memorised the formulas I would need too because idk the math is so basic I kinda forgot how to use it like the percentage changes hahahha. AR honestly was fully just guessed in my diagnostic I wasnt able to figure out a single pattern at all. As for the actual UCAT, I think I figured out every pattern except 2???? but both I was able to kinda see a pattern or figure out one of the rules so they were good guesses. Also my mock exams leading up to the exam were like 2550-2700ish so I really wasnt expecting to do as well as I did in the actual UCAT
But yeh 6 months is plentyyyyy of time for an amplitude test! I reckon I did about 2 hours a week in over the uni holidays between November - end of February, no study during the uni semester and then maybe 10-15 hours a week in the 4 weeks leading up to my UCAT.
And yeah my score isnt the best nor has it gotten me an offer this year rip but in terms of how much you can improve, I was in a similar situation to you last year thinking what the hell am I gonna do but that was how I improved :D hope that helps :)

VRDMQRARSJTTotalPercentileDate
diagnostic550570450540221007th15/11/19
Final UCAT580670720860641283084th15/07/20
Hey thanks a ton I really appreciate you taking the time to type all that out.

2xq

Allied Health Member
First time sit UCAT, defiantly not easy with all the other Yr. 12 work.
i can agree with this statement. my july holidays was juggling between studying for trials and preparing for UCAT. (in the end i did too much UCAT)

dotwingz

Google Enthusiast
> Rule 13. No discussion of paid preparation services, whether including a direct reference to the name or otherwise.

Crow

Staff
If a prep company offers paid services then we won’t allow discussion of it on our site, regardless of whether the exact resource being recommended is free or not. Please help us adhere to this. Cheers.

cocodreams

Anyone doing UCAT prep again as a non-standard applicant, how do you feel as you prepare? As in, are you finding questions a bit easier to deal with or still trying to find the direction and your strengths and weaknesses? (compared to last time if you prepped)

2xq

Allied Health Member
Anyone doing UCAT prep again as a non-standard applicant, how do you feel as you prepare? As in, are you finding questions a bit easier to deal with or still trying to find the direction and your strengths and weaknesses? (compared to last time if you prepped)
it feels like the same difficulty. not touching ucat for a whole 6 mths is probably the reason for me feeling this way