Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Pre-UCAT Discussion 2021

Don Carlo

Hello! I'm just posting this merely to rant! I understand that on the real UCAT exam they will try avoiding the possibility of two entirely different patterns (my example below explains what I mean) ------> I have posted this on the AR page but I'm not sure how many ppl even look at that.

So this was a question I did (Set A/Set B) and the answer is on the left.
Untitled picture.png Untitled picture 2.png

Except...I came up with an entirely different pattern lol:
Set A:
- When the top shape has an even number of sides, there is a squiggly line on the bottom circle and the black oval is on the very right circle.
- When the top shape has an odd number of sides, there is no squiggly line, BUT, the black oval moves down to the bottom circle.

Set B:
• When the top shape has an even number of sides, there is no squiggly line on the bottom circle and the black oval is on the very right circle.
• When the top shape has an odd number of sides, there is a squiggly line and a black oval on the bottom circle.

Idk if I am going crazy but does my pattern sound reasonable?
Like the actual pattern seems pretty difficult to me (difficult for me to even come up with but this is my first time seeing a pattern like that!) and I was wondering if I should expect more patterns like that?

Oop thank you :)

Last edited:

mars_02

Hello! I'm just posting this merely to rant! I understand that on the real UCAT exam they will try avoiding the possibility of two entirely different patterns (my example below explains what I mean) ------> I have posted this on the AR page but I'm not sure how many ppl even look at that.

So this was a question I did (Set A/Set B) and the answer is on the left.
Untitled picture.png

Untitled picture 2.png

Except...I came up with an entirely different pattern lol:
Set A:
- When the top shape has an even number of sides, there is a squiggly line on the bottom circle and the black oval is on the very right circle.
- When the top shape has an odd number of sides, there is no squiggly line, BUT, the black oval moves down to the bottom circle.

Set B:
• When the top shape has an even number of sides, there is no squiggly line on the bottom circle and the black oval is on the very right circle.
• When the top shape has an odd number of sides, there is a squiggly line and a black oval on the bottom circle.

Idk if I am going crazy but does my pattern sound reasonable?
Like the actual pattern seems pretty difficult to me (difficult for me to even come up with but this is my first time seeing a pattern like that!) and I was wondering if I should expect more patterns like that?

Oop thank you :)
I'd love to take a look (benefits my AR skills) but at least on my PC your images aren't loading!
Here's what i see:
1617796209705.png

Ty510

I've definitely been procrastinating doing more practice lol... been trying to focus more on my uni assignments to keep my GPA up, and working at the same time! My brain is gonna pop hahaha

cocodreams

Anyone who has the sat the UCAT twice - did you ever feel that your results from your practice on your second attempt/second year may have been slightly skewed or biased because you came across questions in your mock that you had already been exposed to e.g. sometimes with VR passages, they are much more familiar because I saw them last year and i reckon i receive a biased score. What can I do for this?

LMG!

MBBS IV
Administrator
It seems like now might be the time for a strong reminder for people to familiarise themselves with the MSO Forum Rules, and particularly Rule 13 as it pertains to UCAT related chatter.

Don Carlo

Ciao guys, I have a VR question that I'm a bit stumped on:
1618131910399.png 1618131933801.png

(That is the paragraph that directly relates to the question).
See, at first, I thought about putting true because it made logical sense for them to distance themselves from the robbery due to criminal activity being illegal. And like that information was followed straight after the passage mentioned that Lenin and Stalin distanced themselves.

But then I thought you choose true if it is explicitly stated in the passage... and in this case it isn't... so I put can't tell.
Then I looked at the answers and it said this:
1618132171327.png
I guess it's the word "may" that tripped me up but I still don't understand why the answer is can't tell.

Hopefully someone can please explain :)

whys

Monash I
View attachment 4588 View attachment 4589

See, at first, I thought about putting true because it made logical sense for them to distance themselves from the robbery due to criminal activity being illegal. And like that information was followed straight after the passage mentioned that Lenin and Stalin distanced themselves.

But then I thought you choose true if it is explicitly stated in the passage... and in this case it isn't... so I put can't tell.
View attachment 4590
I guess it's the word "may" that tripped me up but I still don't understand why the answer is can't tell.

You’re absolutely right - it’s because of the word ‘may’. You are correct in that you choose true if it’s explicitly stated in the passage, and here it is explicitly stated in the passage that they distanced themselves from the robbery AND that there was disapproval from the RSDLP. However, nothing in the passage suggests the two events may be interrelated or how they may be interrelated, so it is true that they MAY have distanced themselves from the robbery because of said disapproval. This is one possibility, and the question stem does not say this is the only possibility or that this is the correct possibility - only that this IS a possibility. Logic and reasoning will tell you that it is a valid possibility that can be inferred from the stimulus material, therefore it is true.

Last edited:
View attachment 4588 View attachment 4589

View attachment 4590

OMG! I just did this question and thought the same thing! I also chose "Can't Tell'

What are the odds!!! I guess we need to pay more attention to the question stem as well! :p
I had trouble with qualifiers when I first started the section but I'm picking them up a bit more now. I'm just finding it very challenging to organise my thoughts quickly enough to absorb what the text says and make mental notes along the way. It is definitely the most challenging section so far for me!

Ty510

See I’ve been most caught up with AR and QR at the moment!
Also, does anyone else feel like in their practice they are still jumping around score wise? One test I get a great score, another a lot lower. I’m finding this in most of my subset scores except for VR, where I do consistently well.
Just don’t want to feel alone in this! Lol :p

whys

Monash I
See I’ve been most caught up with AR and QR at the moment!
Also, does anyone else feel like in their practice they are still jumping around score wise? One test I get a great score, another a lot lower. I’m finding this in most of my subset scores except for VR, where I do consistently well.
Just don’t want to feel alone in this! Lol :p
Don’t worry, fluctuations can be expected because of the nature of the test and other external factors that may vary on a day-to-day basis. As long as you are consistently reviewing your mistakes and learning from them, you are improving. It can take a while to see a substantial increase in mock scores, and even when it does happen it’s normal for scores to dip ‘randomly’ in subsequent tests. Maybe looking at the UCAT mock score thread might be of some consolation - you may find variation in scores there as well.

Ty510

Don’t worry, fluctuations can be expected because of the nature of the test and other external factors that may vary on a day-to-day basis. As long as you are consistently reviewing your mistakes and learning from them, you are improving. It can take a while to see a substantial increase in mock scores, and even when it does happen it’s normal for scores to dip ‘randomly’ in subsequent tests. Maybe looking at the UCAT mock score thread might be of some consolation - you may find variation in scores there as well.
Thank you for the reassurance!! I've looked through the ucat mock score thread and I do see some fluctuations, but also absolute ucat legends who get 3000 every time straight out of the gate 😂 wish I was like that! But I do spend time going through all of my answers and just trying to improve little bits at a time.

Don Carlo

ciao,
I came across this VR passage that is around 400 words, it's a T/F/CT question.

example question:

1618374161165.png
1313.PNG

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on approaching a T/F/CT question that's pretty long with chunky paragraphs.

My usual method for T/F/CT is reading the question then skimming for the answer in the passage. But this is my first time encountering such a large passage and when using my usual method, my mind was zoning out and I couldn't absorb anything (and I did this without timing it). And then I was finding myself just reading everything...it was like my mind had just simply given up.

And I am worried this would be the case for MCQ questions as well.

ciao,
I came across this VR passage that is around 400 words, it's a T/F/CT question.

example question:

View attachment 4594
View attachment 4592

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on approaching a T/F/CT question that's pretty long with chunky paragraphs.

My usual method for T/F/CT is reading the question then skimming for the answer in the passage. But this is my first time encountering such a large passage and when using my usual method, my mind was zoning out and I couldn't absorb anything (and I did this without timing it). And then I was finding myself just reading everything...it was like my mind had just simply given up.

And I am worried this would be the case for MCQ questions as well.
I would personally skip it straight away, and come back to it if I have time. If I did have time I would scan each para to see what each ones general concept or theme is and then look at the question. If that didnt work then Id scan for key words. And if that didnt work I would skip. But thats what id do, im not sure if its the best approach.

Don Carlo

I would personally skip it straight away, and come back to it if I have time. If I did have time I would scan each para to see what each ones general concept or theme is and then look at the question. If that didnt work then Id scan for key words. And if that didnt work I would skip. But thats what id do, im not sure if its the best approach.
Yeah I agree with skipping this on the actual exam day! Hopefully there aren't any passages like this one (I mean has anyone who sat the UCAT before encountered a long passage with chunky para before?).

Thank you tho! I'll try those two methods out :)

Yeah I agree with skipping this on the actual exam day! Hopefully there aren't any passages like this one (I mean has anyone who sat the UCAT before encountered a long passage with chunky para before?).

Thank you tho! I'll try those two methods out :)
haha I just did this one too! Again, I thought the same thing. It was way too long to try and read quickly enough to answer the questions in time. As mentioned above by flynnscrivo72, on test day I will be skipping these longer passages and hope I have enough time to come back to it and scan for keywords. It does make practice difficult though because I'm defs not a speedy reader