Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

[Undergrad] Pre-UMAT 2016 Discussion

Hopeful.Old.Guy

Hello, there.

As my nickname says, I'm a hopeful old guy chasing a dream. I want to be a doctor. However, the path towards that is difficult, and I've found it getting harder every time.

This year is going to be my fourth attempt (I know, right?). My best score ever was my very first attempt, which got me an interview at the University of Newcastle - quite convenient too, as I live in the area. I think I did great in the interview, but I'm a non-school leaver and my low grades in a graduate diploma came back to haunt me and I did not get an offer after that.

From then, I've found the exams getting considerably difficult each year.

So I'd like to exchange impressions with people who are going to take the exam this year. Is this going to be your first time? otherwise, how many attempts have you had before? Have you found it more difficult every time?

What has worked for you? What hasn't? Are you doing anything else other than preparation questions towards this exam (meditation, relaxation techniques, going to a psychic, anything...)?

Thanks, and good luck. :)

sandradoo0

Did not do well in the UMAT first 2 years in a row, only did ACER prep material, then eventually decided to sign up for a UMAT prep course, got some great UMAT prep books , did a workshop med interviews with same provider, now studying med at UNSW. The prep books worked very-well for me, hopefully it will for you too if you decide to go down that pathway. Good luck.

moonbear129

Did not do well in the UMAT first 2 years in a row, only did ACER prep material, then eventually decided to sign up for a UMAT prep course, got some great UMAT prep books , did a workshop med interviews with same provider, now studying med at UNSW. The prep books worked very-well for me, hopefully it will for you too if you decide to go down that pathway. Good luck.
hey do you mind sharing what prep books you used?? it's my second time sitting the umat this year.. how did you plan out your study timetable for umat or like balance it out with work?? i feel like i'm leaving umat last minute as I prioritise my uni work as of right now :((

Hopeful.Old.Guy

hey do you mind sharing what prep books you used?? it's my second time sitting the umat this year.. how did you plan out your study timetable for umat or like balance it out with work?? i feel like i'm leaving umat last minute as I prioritise my uni work as of right now :((
Hi. I don't think he will be able to reply to you on this forum. I read the policy and we can't post information regarding preparation courses. Although, I think you can contact @sandradoo0 through private message. At least that's what I will do :)

A1

Admissions Speculator
I think you can contact @sandradoo0 through private message. At least that's what I will do :)
Have a look at Sandra's MSO profile page. In 2012 Muse wrote her a friendly msg about not discussing prep courses. Since then total messages = 1 presumably the one above. All quiet for 4 years suddenly reappeared to make a plug for this prep course.

By all means contact her for advice but I doubt her authenticity. She may have just copied one of the feedbacks on their website.

Reactions: pi

Quacks

Otago MBChB II
Totally agree with you @A1.
It seems very fishy :cool:

Sevda

Well hello,
I don't think you are older than me by the way! hahaha I have a PhD degree and I am already a doctor but dentistry has been always a dream so I decided to get back to school and make it to come through! I am planning to have my UMAT exam on 26th July and I do not even know what is UMAT!
Hello, there.

As my nickname says, I'm a hopeful old guy chasing a dream. I want to be a doctor. However, the path towards that is difficult, and I've found it getting harder every time.

This year is going to be my fourth attempt (I know, right?). My best score ever was my very first attempt, which got me an interview at the University of Newcastle - quite convenient too, as I live in the area. I think I did great in the interview, but I'm a non-school leaver and my low grades in a graduate diploma came back to haunt me and I did not get an offer after that.

So I'd like to exchange impressions with people who are going to take the exam this year. Is this going to be your first time? otherwise, how many attempts have you had before? Have you found it more difficult every time?

What has worked for you? What hasn't? Are you doing anything else other than preparation questions towards this exam (meditation, relaxation techniques, going to a psychic, anything...)?

Hello, there.

Sevda

Can anyone let me know if just with 2 months practicing can I get the required score for the Bachelor of Dental science in UQ?

sn1p

WSU MBBS III
Can anyone let me know if just with 2 months practicing can I get the required score for the Bachelor of Dental science in UQ?
Depends on you, how you prep, what happens on the day etc. There's no point in worrying about it - just start prepping ASAP.