Pre-UMAT 2018 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'UMAT' started by SirNubby, Sep 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. medengconfused

medengconfused Member

I did the UMAT in 2017 and got 97th (192, 61/70/61) on my first try (how I did, I have no clue!). I also did it from front to back because during practise exams I did, I generally found that I had less time if I did it section by section that if I just went through it chronologically. Another thing is that if I got frustrated with a question, sometimes it could lead me to feel frustrated about other similar questions in a section which was bad - so doing a question from another section meant my brain could reset itself, etc. I did the same as another poster as well in that I circled questions which I thought were taking me too long, skipped them, and went back and did them at the end. I finished with about 10 minutes to go and didn't miss any questions overall.

2. bikinibottom

bikinibottom Member

Hello,

I need to improve my section 2 score. Tried Medentry (and Acer Papers) in the past and is willing to try other online resources/ websites to improve my score (hopefully!). Any suggestions ? Thank you :)

3. Yajat

Yajat Member

I'm in Grade 11 IB (Sept to June) and am gonna start soon.

4. bikinibottom

bikinibottom Member

Hello,

Is there any recommendation for UMAT preparation other than Medentry and Acer? Thanks :)

5. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    Chrismm I don't think your reply breached any rules. I think you can re-instate it if you want.

6. feelsbadman

feelsbadman Member

Hey guys, this question is directed at those who have sat the umat 2017 and preferably umat 2016. I was wondering if there were any major changes from 2016 to 2017. I heard that there were more abstract patterns in section 3 and more cartoon questions in s2 but asides from that were there any major changes?

7. rchilds

rchilds WSU MBBS I

Hey, I did UMAT in both of those years. I wouldn't say I found enough of a difference in the exams to say that there have been drastic changes, but for what it's worth I had questions in 2017 for section s1 that had MUCH more information than in 2016. For s3 I thought the questions were about the same really.

But I'm pretty sure that there is a question pool and not everyone who sits the exam gets the exact same set of questions, so there could be a variety of different questions that some people might not see one year, but could see the next year.

8. feelsbadman

feelsbadman Member

Yeah, I've seen some people post here talking about trial questions and all that. Just wanted to ask, how long were the s1 questions? Like about a half a page for problem solving questions and a full page-ish for data interpretation and passage analysis?

9. feelsbadman

feelsbadman Member

Hello there, I was wondering if it is plausible to guess answers using this strategy. I've noticed in my prep with medentry that the answers to some questions in s1 and especially s3 is often the option that has the features of the rest of the options. E.G
    A) big, large, dk, idk
    B) big, fragile, benevolant,
    C) fragile, something, something.
    D) benevolent, something, something.
    And the answer would often be B.

Is this guessing "strategy" implementable in the actual UMAT. Did anyone notice that the correct answer, or the answer they chose, had the most common features of all the options. Not sure if what I said makes sense, but feel free to ask me to clarify further, cheers!

10. BMW

BMW MBBS I @Adelaide University

feelsbadman I wouldn't count on it as I've definitely seen answers that seem to be "the odd one out" rather than ones that incorporate a lot of common options.

11. feelsbadman

feelsbadman Member

Oh I see, even for section 3 questions? I've done a lotta free umat practice papers and in section 3 they normally have like 3 answers options that have similar features, and 2 options that don't and the correct answer is normally in the group of 3.

12. BMW

BMW MBBS I @Adelaide University

feelsbadman Section 3 is more reliable in this regard, but you have to remember that these third party UMAT companies might not pay that much attention to making sure the answer options mimic the style in which they are presented in the UMAT, so whilst I agree with you in that the strategy does work for third party companies, I wouldn't count on it working in the actual UMAT.

13. Tom Reiner

Tom Reiner New Member

Question: should I do the UMAT in the AM or PM session at my test centre? (Otago University) Having trouble deciding. does anyone have any recommendations? Cheers

14. Thots

Thots Member

For me, I chose the Am because I figured I wouldn’t be getting a whole lot of sleep anyway the night before. So better to wake up and finish it before the sleep deprivation could fully take its toll in the afternoon.

Cookie, Tom Reiner and LMG! like this.
  15. Cookie

Cookie Guest

I also took the AM session since I heard rumours about the PM session people staying up till around 7PM due to a very late start!

Tom Reiner likes this.
  16. entirety

entirety Member

Anyone taking the UMAT this year and NOT doing medentry? I feel like we are a minority

17. med4lyf

med4lyf Member

I sat the UMAT in the PM session and it turned out pretty well for me. I think that's because it allowed me to get sufficient sleep, eat a healthy meal in the morning, and spend enough time to mentally prepare myself for a 3hr exam by doing stuff like meditation and some light exercise. The PM session starts at around 1 or 2pm, which isn't as late some people think. My friend, for some reason, thought the PM session started at 5pm, and chose to do the AM session because of it (despite her not being a morning person).

My advice to you is to try sitting practice exams in both time sessions and see what you're most comfortable with. Try doing it sleep-deprived as well, and see how you go. You just don't know what's going to happen on the day or even the night before - and if you're someone who has sleep problems (like me), it's just not worth taking the risk and assuming you'll get enough sleep for the AM session.

That being said, I honestly don't think the time you sit the exam has a significant impact on your results, as long as you get into the right sleep routine at least a week before the exam, and have a lot of practice doing the exam in the time slot you've chosen. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
    Tom Reiner likes this.
  18. acbard9

acbard9 Regular Member

I'm not a morning person, and have sleep problems, but unfortunately, I could only get the morning slot. I slept for like 10 minutes during the test lol. Having asked a few of my friends since, some PM people felt that waiting made them anxious, but other PM people said that it allowed them to calm down before the actual thing. Being quite an anxious person, the AM slot made it also difficult to focus.

As others have pointed out, it will probably depend on who you are. Just do your best, prepare how you can, and try get a good amount of sleep!

(NB: the Otago place in 2016 took a little while to get to (~10-15min drive), in comparison to the usual 5-10 minute walk you'd need to get anywhere else in Dunedin haha).

Tom Reiner likes this.
  19. Woo18

Woo18 Member

My son is not doing the medentry program. He has decided to stick with the acer papers.

20. Thots

Thots Member

Having done medentry I agree with this. Speaking from personal experience, Medentry ONLY stands to improve section 3, of which you can YouTube/find free sources online.

etoile likes this.