Pre-UMAT 2018 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'UMAT' started by SirNubby, Sep 11, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwe

rwe Member

Hi guys just thought this would be an appropriate place to ask for some advice regarding umat. I've sat the UMAT in 2016 and 2017 receiving percentiles of 87 and 83 respectively and using medentry both times. I thought i studied quite extensively the 2nd time i attempted UMAT and thought i performed well on the day but evidently not haha. Do you guys think if placed in a similar situation you would attempt the UMAT again with minimal study and just see how it goes, use a different online site similar to medentry and study extensively again or use medentry itself again? Any other comments are appreciated as well, thanks.

2. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    With the exception of people who really screw something up, for the vast majority of people, UMAT is the kind of assessment you should score similarly on if you re-sit it.

For example, I got 92 in 2016, but I panicked at the end, and really screwed up the last 15 minutes. I re-did it in 2017 and got 98 because I was better prepared and didn’t panic. My improvement wasn’t because I was suddenly ‘smarter’, intellectually, but because I was ‘smarter’ emotionally and more prepared for the psychological aspect of sitting UMAT. There would be other examples for other people.

If I were in your situation, I’d be seriously moving on to think about graduate entry Med/Dent. If you’d got vastly different scores the two years, there might be something we could tap into, but the fact your scores were pretty stable says a lot.

That said, if you have the $$, the time, and the inclination, there’s nothing stopping you throwing your hat in the ring again, because there certainly are (comparatively rare!) instances of people getting unexpectedly high (and low!) scores in this manner.

biom and A1 like this.
  3. Narendra Gammanpila

Narendra Gammanpila New Member

Hi (my first post here)

But in a nutshell, I graduated year 12 with a 99.6 atar and a bad umat. So i decided to take a gap year and redo umat and then hopefully get into curtin med school, as Im sure with my atar + half decent umat it will be possible. The question I have is has anyone done this before? And if so, how did they handle the year ahead and being somewhat isolated from everyone else in the regards that they are all off at uni and your just somewhat home alone studying or doing whatever.

In general, I am just looking for some guidance on how people handled seeing everyone else go into uni/med and handling the feelings of somewhat being on the "sidelines"

(also im in perth WA)

4. Isla

Isla New Member

Hi guys!

I am taking a gap year too!
    Frankly, every single person I've told this to have tried to make me change my mind. I know that all this will be nothing in the end if I get accepted in a med school next year, and much better than doing a degree that I don't want to obtain. But like Narendra Gammanpila in her post above, I too wanted some information. How did the people who did a gap year to improve on UMAT handle the whole year? I am planning to do some volunteering, travelling and working too, but is there anything else I should do to have better chances?

Thanks so much!!

5. Grape

Grape Member

Hi just wondering if anyone knows where I can find the answers to the MedEntry past UMAT SAmple Questions?
    I think this booklet is form the seminar they gave.

Thank you :)

6. emmabarnie1

emmabarnie1 New Member

I am currently a year 12 student and want to have a year of school next year. I am wondering if I should sit the UMAT this year or wait until next year (and is it possible to sit it overseas?) considering you are only supposed to apply if attending university the following year. Is it possible to sit the UMAT and defer for a year? Is it better to do the GAMSAT?

7. acbard9

acbard9 Regular Member

You can sit UMAT the year before, but it won't count for your Med application. You'll need to sit it again the year you apply.
    You can sit it anywhere, I believe.
    You can't defer UMAT results if that's what you mean, but you can defer Med entry :) (at some, but not all(?) Universities).

pi likes this.
  8. pi

pi Junior doctor Moderator

Junior doctor
    The only reason to sit the UMAT in a year you're not applying would be for practice (or to make a very generous donation to ACER). The result won't count at all as it is only valid for one year.

In terms of overseas venues, there are certainly a few around the world: London, Singapore, and Washington DC. Source: Test centres | Undergraduate Medicine and Health Sciences Admission Test | UMAT | ACER

Regarding UMAT vs GAMSAT. Neither is better than the other. The best one is the one that gets you into medicine. Different unis use the different tests, and the two tests are quite different. Worth reading into each of them and seeing which unis use which test. Additionally, there are a handful of unis that don't use them at all (e.g. JCU, Monash graduate-entry)

acbard9 likes this.
  9. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    Sit UMAT and apply for med this year, if successful for a place offer request to defer (most of the med schools allow deferrals). If not successful then try again next year.

emmabarnie1 likes this.
  10. shahjahan

shahjahan Member

Hey guys, I'm currently studying a Biomed at Griffith Uni. Can I do UMAT this year and reapply next year for undergrad medicine using my GPA and UMAT score? Or do I have to go via GAMSAT once I finish this degree??

Thanks in advance.

11. pi

Junior doctor
    Yes you can sit the UMAT again this year and yes you can apply for some undergrad unis, but only those that accept "non-standard" applicants. Best to visit each university's website to find out which ones accept applicants from this category.

shahjahan likes this.
  12. shahjahan

shahjahan Member

What a speedy reply! Thanks so much for your help. Do you know which ones accept "non-standard" applicants by any chance?

13. pi

Junior doctor
    Off the top of my head I wouldn't know (seeking the wisdom of A1 and LMG! for this one)... but from memory JMP, UNSW, WSU, UQ, maybe others? I've honestly never looked into it too much unfortunately, but one of the folks tagged will be up to speed (if not someone else!) :)

edit: apparently not UQ, see post below!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  14. A1

UWA MD minus-I
    pi likes this.
  15. Rune Words

Rune Words New Member

Hi guys, I'm looking to write the UMAT for the first time this year. After doing a lot of practice I have found that I need to improve my Section 1 score the most.

What are your suggestions? Is there anymore information I should provide?

Thanks!

16. Yamster

Yamster 010110010110000101101101

Yam
    Hey Rune!

Firstly, thank you for joining MSO.

Have a look at the S1 Prep thread here: UMAT Section 1 Prep Discussion - there's plenty of helpful tips on that thread and it would be a good place to start (me thinks).

You know the basics of S1 by right, no assumptions/outside knowledge, etc.?

A1 might have some helpful tips although his biggest one I think is be exposed to puzzles/mind games from an early age to develop your S1 skills. Besides that, just practice! I think there are a few members on here which have stated that S1 can be improved (although subjective) with continued practice (though maybe not as much as the improvements seen in say S3).

Let us know if you have any other questions. :)

Mana and Sherlock like this.
  17. A1

UWA MD minus-I
    S1 is arguably the hardest of the three sections to improve on. IMO the skills take a long time to gradually develop so if you had not started a few years ago this is the best strategy I can suggest for now:

- Read thoroughly the solutions of the questions you couldn't solve or got wrong and learn the underlying techniques. It's unlikely you will face the same questions in later pracs or the real test but chances are you will see ones of similar moulds. Knowing the underlying techniques can help solve these.

- Allocate more test/exam time to S1 i.e. not an equal 60 minutes per section but like 80-90 minutes. To do so you need to learn to speed up S2 & S3, as detailed in this post by LMG! > Pre-UMAT 2018 Discussion Thread

Hope this helps.

Mana likes this.
  18. Rune Words

Rune Words New Member

19. Tom Reiner

Tom Reiner Member

Does anyone know the exact time and where the UMAT in Dunedin NZ (otago uni) PM session is held? Cheers

20. sarangiya

sarangiya what's this

Student
    ACER uploaded some preparation videos two days ago that can be accessed through your online ACER account. Is this new?
    The joys of following an exam company on Facebook lmao

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.