Pre-UMAT 2018 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'UMAT' started by SirNubby, Sep 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    I’m not sitting UMAT this year, but last year there were definitely videos on the website that could be accessed once you’d registered.

2. Grant Hughes

Grant Hughes New Member

Hi LMG - Just wondering how the paper is structured? Is it a mix of questions throughout or is each section clearly identified? If the sections aren't in 'sections', how did you best find to answer section by section?
    Thanks!!

3. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    It’s mixed up. Read back through the first few pages at least of this thread for tons of recommendations and insights.

4. 90thpercentilepls

90thpercentilepls Member

Hi everyone,

I've searched on medstudentsonline for fatigue and endurance related threads, but apart from doing all the exams on medentry (or just more exams), does anyone have any advice on building endurance?

I've noticed that I consistently get more wrong in the middle of the exam (probably 1.5-2h mark).

I do my exam in sections- usually S1 then S2/S3

5. Kat92

Kat92 Student (BDemCare, BBeSt). Hopeful for JMP 2020

Volunteer St John First Responder/ Health Student.
    This article was posted in one of the groups I am in on FB, might be worth a read: MedEntry UMAT Preparation - The UMAT – A Test of Endurance - MedEntry Blog

6. 90thpercentilepls

90thpercentilepls Member

Cheers Kat!

Just making a note of what to do for myself:
    1. I'll try switching up the sections: from S1, S2, S3 to S1, S3, S2 (although S2 is my worst section so that's probably a bad idea), but if I start with S2, I'm too tired to do S1. Either way, I'll experiment and give diff section combos a go!

2. Let's say 80 mins S1, 50 mins S2 and 50 mins S3 for now. + or - 10 though.

3. Put a glass of water in my room (water bottle on the day).

7. rustyedges

rustyedges Otago MB ChB Moderator

I have a weird thing about people drinking water in exams. It's only three hours, and it's not like you're going to get dehydrated. The only people I see going to the bathroom in exams are the ones sipping at water the whole time haha, but if you feel like it helps, go for it. :p

90thpercentilepls and Kat92 like this.
  8. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    To quote a famous post (see the 2nd line)
    > 2016 place offers - Med all unis

90thpercentilepls likes this.
  9. Kat92

Hmm I have mixed thoughts about trying to do the paper in sections when it is all mixed up. Although, I’ve heard of some doing well this way.

10. Kat92

I’ve always found the same thing lol- and it tends to get a bit annoying when they walk past you constantly.

11. 90thpercentilepls

90thpercentilepls Member

I took the blog post to heart and should've thought about the obvious- missing questions and distracting others with a toilet break! Thanks rustyedges, A1 and Kat92

About the sections Kat92, why do you prefer doing it chronologically? I've never tried chronologically- I've just been doing it by sections (in what sections is another matter though) since I think Medentry recommends that (maybe it wasn't them but another company though)

12. Kat92

I think it has come about more so after I have done some of the practice papers that have been mixed. As I found that trying to do the mixed papers by constantly skipping around for the sections, then writing the question I skipped to later go back to was a bit time consuming when flicking back and forth through the pages.

I think it was Medentry that did write an article like that- but it was a while ago.

Although, like you said it comes down to individual preference and what works best for you to get you over the line at the end of the day ;)