Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Pre-UMAT 2018 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What time do you think we should arrive at the venue? My exam is at 9am in Sydney and we've been told 8am, but I don't want to arrive too early and psyche myself out. Thanks :D

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
My memory of last years exam seems to have escaped me, does anyone remember if they announced how much time you had left on the clock when your getting down to the last 30, 15, 5 minutes? Or just an idea of what times they do call out during the exam?

IIRC, you get:

“Reading time starts now.”
“Reading time is finished, start writing now.”
“There are 10 minutes to go.”
“Pens down.”

It’s really on you to keep track of time, from what I remember.

J

Josht4971

Hey everyone
So kinda in a dilemma, I'm someone who does the exam sequentially and has worked rather ok for me this year. However I'm kinda debating what I should do during reading time..usually I start on question 1 and try to get around 10ish questions done by the time reading time is over. However now I'm debating whether i should do some s2 questions during that time instead. Any output would be heavily appreciated
Cheers guys

Trinhcent

professional silly goose
Hey everyone
So kinda in a dilemma, I'm someone who does the exam sequentially and has worked rather ok for me this year. However I'm kinda debating what I should do during reading time..usually I start on question 1 and try to get around 10ish questions done by the time reading time is over. However now I'm debating whether i should do some s2 questions during that time instead. Any output would be heavily appreciated
Cheers guys

Its up to you what you're comfrtable with at this stage. Personally, I wouldn't change your approach this close to the UMAT but whatever works for you and you feel confident with, stick with it. Many find S2 questions easier to do as you can do them without working out or any writing but its honestly a personal preference.

jiaxing

Re: ACER paper 4.

Were only S1 questions from previous years, or S2 and S3 from previous years also?

I got 1o8/134 - not sure how to interpret this seeing that S1 was definitiely from previous years...

Trinhcent

professional silly goose
Re: ACER paper 4.

Were only S1 questions from previous years, or S2 and S3 from previous years also?

I got 1o8/134 - not sure how to interpret this seeing that S1 was definitiely from previous years...

Great score. None of the section 2 or section 3 questions had any overlap with the ones I received in my booklet last year, although others may have found some.

JMP Lova

Chronic liar
FOR THOSE DOING THE UMAT IN SYDNEY:

Does anyone have any idea how to get to the Olympic Park venue, by train?

A1

Rookie Doc
What time do you think we should arrive at the venue? My exam is at 9am in Sydney and we've been told 8am, but I don't want to arrive too early and psyche myself out. Thanks :D

I got there 30mins before exam time, there were still hundreds of students in a dozen queues outside. If you get there earlier you get into the hall earlier and sit waiting (or relaxing) in there longer that's all.

A_O_2

My scores have been really fluctuating lately. S2 is always consistent with 90+ percentile but my S3 goes anywhere from 60-95 and S1 from 60-70 (my raw scores fluctuate heaps as well) I don’t know what this means and how I should interpret my scores. Has anyone else experienced really inconsistent scores? Or is it just me lol

jiaxing

My scores have been really fluctuating lately. S2 is always consistent with 90+ percentile but my S3 goes anywhere from 60-95 and S1 from 60-70 (my raw scores fluctuate heaps as well) I don’t know what this means and how I should interpret my scores. Has anyone else experienced really inconsistent scores? Or is it just me lol

Great percentiles, but if you are using ME, the percentiles are greatly unreliable. This is because not everybody completes the exam in 3 hours and not all variables are controlled, such as using calculators or a dictionary.

What are your raw scores like?

A_O_2

Great percentiles, but if you are using ME, the percentiles are greatly unreliable. This is because not everybody completes the exam in 3 hours and not all variables are controlled, such as using calculators or a dictionary.

What are your raw scores like?
For section 2 it's 33+, for section 3 it's anywhere from 27-37/42 and for section one it can be anywhere from 27-32. Overall my raw scores is anywhere from 80-102

jiaxing

For S1, I got some 33's and my percentile for them was 51. This is a bit unrealistic, because we know by now that 33+ is a decent score for S1. Therefore, ignore the percentiles. The same goes for S2 and S3.

However, considering your raw scores, I'd say you either improved (if you scores in the 80's for the first few exams and then 102's later on), or you may just have other variables affecting your mark, e.g., distractions, timing issues, resources, mindset, etc etc.

Best to just wait til September HAHAHAHA

toulouse

Have any of you used icanmed? Is it similar to the real exam?
I'm using icanmed and I've sat the real exam. Its simpler than the real deal but their techniques and how to approach questions are good. Worth it for technique learning so you don't get thrown off when you encounter harder questions.

firstsnow

I'm using icanmed and I've sat the real exam. Its simpler than the real deal but their techniques and how to approach questions are good. Worth it for technique learning so you don't get thrown off when you encounter harder questions.

Yeah same, i felt their questions were a little simpler but their techniques were good.
What was your percentile like in the end and raw marks for each section? Did u use any other courses other than icanmed at the same time?

Lear

Monash IV
Gold Star Winner
90/134 in the real exam would give you roughly a 90th percentile.
If you can perform the same tomorrow you will definitely be 'ok'.
However, Acer exams are typically significantly easier than the real thing. So take that as you wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.