Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Pre-University study for Nursing

Thom

Hi all,

First of all, apologies for my complete lack of participation in the forum up to now, due to finances, I had to defer my offer for Bachelor of Nursing at Newcastle Uni (Ourimbah campus) until Feb 2016, so I took time out.

Anyway, now I am definitely going, can anyone advise any pre uni reading or study that I would find helpful prior to commencing next year?

cheers

thom

elixir

Hi Thom,

I realise this post was 2 months ago now but maybe you will still find it! There aren't many nursing students on this forum but I also realise there isn't much out there in the way of active nursing forums in Australia either (well at least not the last time I went searching). I only pop my head in here occasionally now to see if anything has been posted on the nursing side of things.

I think majority of people struggle with the biomed aspect the most- and I know at my university it is where a lot of people have their fails. In saying that don't let this discourage you! If you put the time in each week to understand the objectives of each system then you will do fine. I think the biggest thing for me was finding my own study style (and that will be different for everyone). I'm in my final year now, hoping to go into an educator role and ultimately after i've had more of that hands on practice- into teaching at the university (hopefully in the biomed side of nursing).

An understanding of basic chemistry and cells will take you a really long way in understanding the harder aspects that come along the way. I know I naively thought nursing would be a breeze after doing a year of medics and almost 2years of med, but it has definitely had its challenges (particularly how in depth the neuro system got!).

An understanding of the anatomy of the different systems is also something that will help a lot within almost all aspects of the course.

Other than the science side of things, I know our course has a lot of essays. If you can do a little bit of a search or cement the knowledge you already have surrounding essay structure and technique then it will definitely come in helpful.

It was a strange transition to nursing and took a bit of getting used to but I love it now and have no regrets. It is a very rewarding (albeit sometimes tough) career that has so many avenues you can take within it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have :) all the best!

If you have any other questions feel free to post here.

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads