• MSO wishes all applicants the best of luck in the UCAT!
    Remember, it is important not to post content about specific questions until this season is over (feel free to message a moderator about questions that we can collate later) but we would love to hear about your experiences and results!
    Cheers, Mana
    P.S. you can't dismiss this message

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Predicting Z-scores

domi04

Hi MSO! Having finished 4th year at Monash, I was wondering if anyone can comment on the accuracy of this Z-score predictor I stumbled across? We recently received our MED4000 scores so I guess it is time to seriously consider where to be an intern! Thanks for your help!

Monash InternZ Score Guesstimator

pi

Junior doctor
Administrar
Welcome to MSO :)

Hi MSO! Having finished 4th year at Monash, I was wondering if anyone can comment on the accuracy of this Z-score predictor I stumbled across? We recently received our MED4000 scores so I guess it is time to seriously consider where to be an intern! Thanks for your help!

Monash InternZ Score Guesstimator
I just entered my scores and clicked 'calculate' on Step 2 rather than alter with the random numbers.

It's not accurate. At least not from my InternZ score from 2016. For interest, that program under-predicted by ~0.5.

Regarding intern applications, my advice, having just been through the process to get my #1 pref (luckily!), is to apply to the hospitals that you want the most rather than the ones that you think will have you. You have 15 preference spots, and most people don't apply for more than 10, so you might as well apply broadly and set your goals high. Even if you think you have no chance of getting St Y and you think you're more of a chance with St Z, but you like St Y more, always preference St Y > St Z. You never know what might happen! The InternZ score is one of many, many factors, and although it generally plays a large role, it's not the whole role. Make sure you focus on having great references, a CV that truly reflects all your achievements, and strong cover letters.

I've written some tips and tricks here if you're interested as well, the trick is to start early (even... now!) :) VIC Internship explanation

domi04

Thanks pi. That's really helpful advice! I've loved all your other guides but had not seen this one. I'll read through it now! Enjoy your break before starting next year - I'm looking forward to keeping up with your progress!

Welcome to MSO :)

I just entered my scores and clicked 'calculate' on Step 2 rather than alter with the random numbers.

It's not accurate. At least not from my InternZ score from 2016. For interest, that program under-predicted by ~0.5.

Regarding intern applications, my advice, having just been through the process to get my #1 pref (luckily!), is to apply to the hospitals that you want the most rather than the ones that you think will have you. You have 15 preference spots, and most people don't apply for more than 10, so you might as well apply broadly and set your goals high. Even if you think you have no chance of getting St Y and you think you're more of a chance with St Z, but you like St Y more, always preference St Y > St Z. You never know what might happen! The InternZ score is one of many, many factors, and although it generally plays a large role, it's not the whole role. Make sure you focus on having great references, a CV that truly reflects all your achievements, and strong cover letters.

I've written some tips and tricks here if you're interested as well, the trick is to start early (even... now!) :) VIC Internship explanation

Reactions: pi

pi

Junior doctor
Administrar
No worries! :) Happy to answer any questions about the process if you reply to that other thread :)