Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Previous study not completed - disadvantage?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
OH My GOD wow.. Super belated congratulations for exciting offers into JMP and WSU which i could only really dream of at the moment.What was your GPA ?
I have an overseas degree in Advanced Zoology with percentage of 83%. . When i tried the Gemsas GPA calculator, it came around 6.7. Don't know who will or how to convert my degree to get the GPA officially ?

I believe your GPA will be calculated slightly differently depending on the graduate Uni you're applying to (ie. some use weighted some don't). But in general, 6.7 is definitely in the right vicinity for graduate entry, and is absolutely more than enough for Curtin, JMP, WSU, JCU, and possibly UNSW depending on your year 12 results. My GPA was 7.00, but it's really just a hurdle at all the Unis I applied to with the exception of UNSW. You definitely don't have to worry about your GPA for non-standard entry, and the conversion will be done by the various TACs, I believe (ie. UAC for the NSW Unis).

Just checking, actually, will you be a domestic or international applicant?

vrish

I believe your GPA will be calculated slightly differently depending on the graduate Uni you're applying to (ie. some use weighted some don't). But in general, 6.7 is definitely in the right vicinity for graduate entry, and is absolutely more than enough for Curtin, JMP, WSU, JCU, and possibly UNSW depending on your year 12 results. My GPA was 7.00, but it's really just a hurdle at all the Unis I applied to with the exception of UNSW. You definitely don't have to worry about your GPA for non-standard entry, and the conversion will be done by the various TACs, I believe (ie. UAC for the NSW Unis).

Just checking, actually, will you be a domestic or international applicant?

"just a hurdle at all the Unis I applied to with the exception of UNSW" - What is different with UNSW ?

I have now become an Australian citizen. so would be considered a local. As you said UAC would do the conversions. Should I contact them to get my GPA assessed as it is an overseas degree ? Meanwhile i am still yet to hear from UON/ WSU about the 10 year cut off.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
"just a hurdle at all the Unis I applied to with the exception of UNSW" - What is different with UNSW ?

I have now become an Australian citizen. so would be considered a local. As you said UAC would do the conversions. Should I contact them to get my GPA assessed as it is an overseas degree ? Meanwhile i am still yet to hear from UON/ WSU about the 10 year cut off.

UNSW will combine your GPA with your ATAR equivalent (50/50), and then use it as a portion of the offer weighting (with UCAT and interview performance).

And yeah, I think UAC will do a conversion for you (there may be a fee, I’m not sure).

vrish

UNSW will combine your GPA with your ATAR equivalent (50/50), and then use it as a portion of the offer weighting (with UCAT and interview performance).

And yeah, I think UAC will do a conversion for you (there may be a fee, I’m not sure).

Got a reply from WSU.
The current criteria is as follows: Bachelor Degrees or higher are required to be no more than 10 years old at course commencement.

So technically cant compete for the 2020 entry given my degree was from 2009. Although I have a masters degree in 2011 with slightly lesser GPA (~5.11) which wont be enough :( feeling gutted already !

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Got a reply from WSU.
The current criteria is as follows: Bachelor Degrees or higher are required to be no more than 10 years old at course commencement.

So technically cant compete for the 2020 entry given my degree was from 2009. Although I have a masters degree in 2011 with slightly lesser GPA (~5.11) which wont be enough :( feeling gutted already !

Completed masters for WSU needs 5.60, I think. But it just needs to be ‘awarded’ for JMP, so you’re definitely still in the running there.

ETA: also, that’s super helpful, thanks for letting us know.

vrish

Completed masters for WSU needs 5.60, I think. But it just needs to be ‘awarded’ for JMP, so you’re definitely still in the running there.

ETA: also, that’s super helpful, thanks for letting us know.
so do you mean JMP doesn't look for GPA score at all. as long as someone has a completed graduation , it is enough ? Please correct me if i am wrong

Also, the WSU email says" The GPA requirements for admission are based on a full-time study load where one semester is the equivalent to 4-7 units of study. You application can be assessed on any tertiary qualification that you have undertaken, however, only the qualification that will give you the highest equivalent academic ranking will be assessed for admission." - so they would take my Graduation and not master's degree in to consideration for GPA?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
so do you mean JMP doesn't look for GPA score at all. as long as someone has a completed graduation , it is enough ? Please correct me if i am wrong

Also, the WSU email says" The GPA requirements for admission are based on a full-time study load where one semester is the equivalent to 4-7 units of study. You application can be assessed on any tertiary qualification that you have undertaken, however, only the qualification that will give you the highest equivalent academic ranking will be assessed for admission." - so they would take my Graduation and not master's degree in to consideration for GPA?

That’s correct re: JMP. You just need to have had your masters degree conferred.

Re: WSU. That actually sounds really promising for you and is similar to what grad Med Unis do in a roundabout kind of way. Your masters will tick the recency of study requirement and your bachelor will tick the GPA requirement. I’d get that interpretation confirmed though.

vrish

That’s correct re: JMP. You just need to have had your masters degree conferred.

Re: WSU. That actually sounds really promising for you and is similar to what grad Med Unis do in a roundabout kind of way. Your masters will tick the recency of study requirement and your bachelor will tick the GPA requirement. I’d get that interpretation confirmed though.
:yay: thank you for taking so much time for replying to my silliest doubts. i owe you a hug!! Really appreciate this.

have asked the same thing to WSU. will wait for them to confirm.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
:yay: thank you for taking so much time for replying to my silliest doubts. i owe you a hug!! Really appreciate this.

have asked the same thing to WSU. will wait for them to confirm.

It’s seriously no problem. I have definitely been there :D

vrish

It’s seriously no problem. I have definitely been there :D
Hi LMG! , thought I should update you- got an email from WSU confirming that they would only consider my masters degree (GPA ~5.2) as my bachelors degree (GPA-6.7) would be over 10 years. A non GWS student would need a minimum GPA of 5.4 . so i am out of the race now. JMP is the only hope with UCAT(they haven't replied to my email yet though!!!!)

Can i please ask you how much did you score in the UMAT when you got the interview offer for the JMP? just to fathom roughly about how much score would i need in UCAT ?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Can i please ask you how much did you score in the UMAT when you got the interview offer for the JMP? just to fathom roughly about how much score would i need in UCAT ?
We don't know how UCAT is scored, nor how the scores will be used by the JMP to rank applicants for interview. Any answer to this would be guess work until this information is released on the JMP website for applicants.

vrish

Hi LMG! I recently applied to UAC for a Qualification assessment service for my overseas completed UG . It has come back with australian equivalent GPA of 6.44 (7pt scale) and an UAC rank of 99.5. What does it mean with regards to JMP and UNSW admissions? will i stand a chance?

Reactions: A1

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Hi LMG! I recently applied to UAC for a Qualification assessment service for my overseas completed UG . It has come back with australian equivalent GPA of 6.44 (7pt scale) and an UAC rank of 99.5. What does it mean with regards to JMP and UNSW admissions? will i stand a chance?

Assuming a competitive UCAT, you will definitely get a JMP (and WSU) interview, and will likely get a UNSW interview. It all comes down to UCAT now, and then interview after that.

vrish

Thank you for your timely response as always ! you are a star!

please could you also let me know how does UNSW treats applicants based on university study ? I don't have an Australian ATAR.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Thank you for your timely response as always ! you are a star!

please could you also let me know how does UNSW treats applicants based on university study ? I don't have an Australian ATAR.

I believe you will have to submit your high school result and a conversion will be completed. Where did you complete year 12? What was your result? Apologies, I miss-read your reporting of 99.5 as a conversion of your high school result, not your University result. You’re right that your high school result will also play a role in your competitiveness for UNSW (but not WSU or JMP).

vrish

I completed my year 12 overseas in India in 2005 with 94%. will UNSW convert the Year 12 results themselves at the time of applying?

A1

Rookie Doc
I recently applied to UAC for a Qualification assessment service for my overseas completed UG . It has come back with australian equivalent GPA of 6.44 (7pt scale) and an UAC rank of 99.5.

Thank you for providing this info, it further supports our theory of the GPA-ATAR Rank conversion table UAC uses. The table shows GPA 6.5+ = 99.5 for 1-3 years FTE but 6.4+ = 99.5 for completed degrees, matching well with your case.

I completed my year 12 overseas in India in 2005 with 94%. will UNSW convert the Year 12 results themselves at the time of applying?

UNSW usually delegates the conversion task to UAC. Since you paid UAC to assess your GPA maybe you can send UAC your school results and ask them to convert as part of the same fee.