PSA: Bachelor of Health Science and PhB at ANU for entry into medicine

Discussion in 'Other alternatives' started by Icanttypeasd, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Icanttypeasd

Icanttypeasd Monash BMedSci & MD

Procrastination
    Happy New Year fellow meddies and aspiring ones.! This may be a very late PSA but if you are worried about your chances of entering medicine ( like me a year ago) it is worth checking out these two courses. I promise ANU nor Canberra Tourism paid me to say this but Canberra is a nice city as long as you like roundabouts and don't feed the politicians.

The first course is the Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) - Science and from my research, about a year ago, it offers 10 non-GAMSAT interview dependent places into medicine. The only catch is to maintain a high distinction average to stay in the program but according to my friends, it shouldn't be too hard. The information about this pathway is limited so I recommend getting in contact with the ANU.

Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) - Science - ANU

The second course is the Bachelor of Health Science. It is a 60 student course that offers 30 non-GAMSAT places into medicine. The cutoff score may be relatively low but since there are only 60 places there is quite a lot of competition.

Bachelor of Health Science - ANU

Cookie likes this.
  2. FlyingAce

FlyingAce New Member

Kim Jong Un's Adviser
    Had a quick read and it's important to note that: "Ten of the 30 places in the Doctor of Medicine and Surgery (MChD) program are reserved for rural and Indigenous students from the Bachelor of Health Science".

Cookie likes this.
  3. msheppard

msheppard New Member

I got an offer for B Health Science this morning! I found out about it after my UMAT result was less than ideal.

jelli likes this.
  4. Icanttypeasd

Icanttypeasd Monash BMedSci & MD

Procrastination
    Congrats on your offer!

Did you think the course was well advertised? Also, are you ready to experience Canberra’s cold?

5. msheppard

msheppard New Member

Thanks! The course wasn't advertised at all. I found it by hunting through ANU's website. It was the 'eureka' moment after getting my UMAT back. The reserved rural spaces I feel helped me (I was considered rural). I'm currently working two jobs through 38+ heat, so the cold will be a welcome change.

6. humantorch

humantorch New Member

Congrats!! I'm planning to apply for Bachelor of Health Science for 2019 through the rural entry too. Do you mind if you share your ATAR results as I believe that ANU had found rural students with an ATAR of 86 high-achieving, I wanna see whether I'll be competitive for the course.. Thank you.

Icanttypeasd likes this.