• MSO wishes all applicants the best of luck in the UCAT!
    Remember, it is important not to post content about specific questions until this season is over (feel free to message a moderator about questions that we can collate later) but we would love to hear about your experiences and results!
    Cheers, Mana
    P.S. you can't dismiss this message

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

PSA: Bachelor of Health Science and PhB at ANU for entry into medicine

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
Happy New Year fellow meddies and aspiring ones.! This may be a very late PSA but if you are worried about your chances of entering medicine ( like me a year ago) it is worth checking out these two courses. I promise ANU nor Canberra Tourism paid me to say this but Canberra is a nice city as long as you like roundabouts and don't feed the politicians.

The first course is the Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) - Science and from my research, about a year ago, it offers 10 non-GAMSAT interview dependent places into medicine. The only catch is to maintain a high distinction average to stay in the program but according to my friends, it shouldn't be too hard. The information about this pathway is limited so I recommend getting in contact with the ANU.

Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours) - Science - ANU

The second course is the Bachelor of Health Science. It is a 60 student course that offers 30 non-GAMSAT places into medicine. The cutoff score may be relatively low but since there are only 60 places there is quite a lot of competition.

Bachelor of Health Science - ANU

FlyingAce

Had a quick read and it's important to note that: "Ten of the 30 places in the Doctor of Medicine and Surgery (MChD) program are reserved for rural and Indigenous students from the Bachelor of Health Science".

Icanttypeasd

Monash BMedSci & MD
Congrats on your offer!

Did you think the course was well advertised? Also, are you ready to experience Canberra’s cold?

msheppard

Congrats on your offer!

Did you think the course was well advertised? Also, are you ready to experience Canberra’s cold?
Thanks! The course wasn't advertised at all. I found it by hunting through ANU's website. It was the 'eureka' moment after getting my UMAT back. The reserved rural spaces I feel helped me (I was considered rural). I'm currently working two jobs through 38+ heat, so the cold will be a welcome change.

humantorch

Thanks! The course wasn't advertised at all. I found it by hunting through ANU's website. It was the 'eureka' moment after getting my UMAT back. The reserved rural spaces I feel helped me (I was considered rural). I'm currently working two jobs through 38+ heat, so the cold will be a welcome change.
Congrats!! I'm planning to apply for Bachelor of Health Science for 2019 through the rural entry too. Do you mind if you share your ATAR results as I believe that ANU had found rural students with an ATAR of 86 high-achieving, I wanna see whether I'll be competitive for the course.. Thank you.

g333

Hello,
I am going to be doing this course (BHealthSci) this year but I am having trouble with choosing classes. I just have a questions about electives that you can take in this course in the first semester of year 1. I emailed the course coordinator and he said that the following subjects need to be undertaken:
HLTH1001

BIOL1008

CHEM1101

elective course

However when I went to the programs and courses page and looked through all the electives they either had a million pre-requisites or are offered in semester 2. Can anyone doing the course please help me on how I choose the elective for semester 1?

thank you!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

apk22

Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit more information about the Bachelor of Health Sciences at ANU. I understand that after the second year 30 students will be given entry into medicine but from what I understand there isn't any guarantee that you'll be one of those 30 students? As in its not a guaranteed pathway?

Crow

Most Active 2018
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit more information about the Bachelor of Health Sciences at ANU. I understand that after the second year 30 students will be given entry into medicine but from what I understand there isn't any guarantee that you'll be one of those 30 students? As in its not a guaranteed pathway?
There are 60 students in the course so you need to be in the top half of your cohort to receive a place offer into medicine. 10 of the 30 places are reserved for rural applicants so you essentially need to be in the top 20 if you’re a non-rural applicant. IIRC selection for interview is based solely off GPA.

By no means is the course a “guarantee” for entry into medicine and given the lack of career prospects provided by a health science degree, I’d advise against this pathway myself.