Psych Training in Queensland

Discussion in 'Postgraduate Forum' started by SrBelle93, Dec 16, 2017.

?

Hospital with best Psych Training + Psych Research Opportunities in QLD

1. RBWH

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. PA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gold Coast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Sunshine Coast

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Townsville

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. SrBelle93

SrBelle93 New Member

With intern applications a few months away, I have some tough decisions to make.

Was just wondering which tertiary centers in Queensland offer quality psych training, and have a specific psychiatry research focus (i.e. have strong affiliations with mental health research institutes/ departments of universities)? Considering it is certainly not unheard of to get on the program in PGY2, I was thinking that interning in such a hospital would be good as far as settling in goes, before commencing psych training.

Cheers!!

2. lordgarlic

lordgarlic MSO Kiwi #1 Emeritus

I can't really comment on specifically which training program in QLD is better than any others. I would assume that the larger networks (e.g. PA and RBWH) would have a greater connection with research than smaller networks. Personally I think you are better off talking to registrars who are in the current program to get an idea of what training is like. I know about 3 years ago QLD was a bit of nightmare training wise with lots of locum consultants and no permanent supervisors partly because of SMO contract issues

What I can comment on is starting the program as a PGY2. One of my friends (now a first year consultant) started as a PGY2 and he actually found it quite hard. The jump is fast and you end up on the treadmill faster than your peers. He ended up taking time out of training due to burnout because it is such a large workload. Personally I think I gained a lot more out of PGY2 doing medical/paediatric runs as it gave me a chance to build a more solid foundation of medical knowledge. It's not a race to fellowship.....