Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

UCAT: Quantitative Reasoning

sevun

Whenever calculating a time period between two months or dates, is it inclusive when answering questions?
eg. time taken to build a building if building began on January 2019 and ended June 2020? (no specific date given)
Would it be 12 months + 6 months = 18 months?
Similarly, eg. time take to build a building if building began on January 1 2020 and ended May 20 2020, then would the answer for time taken be 4 months (to get to May 1) and then +19 days, so the answer is 4 months 19 days? Would you round this to 4 months or 5?

A1

Rookie Doc
Whenever calculating a time period between two months or dates, is it inclusive when answering questions?

It's not precise when the exact dates are not given. I think common usage is inclusive, for example a year of 12 months is from Jan to Dec, a month of 31 days is from 1st to 31st. So Jan 1st to May 20th is 4 months 20 days.

A1

Rookie Doc
Can someone please explain how to solve this question? I don't understand the official explanation given. Thanks!

View attachment 3632

8% can taste neither so (100-8)= 92% can taste either or both.
74% PTC + 60% SD = 134% means there's an overlap of (134-92)= 42% who can taste both.

Percentage can taste exactly one is 50%, by either of these methods:
92 either/both - 42 both = 50 either, or
100 - (8 neither + 42 both) = 50, or
(74-42)PTC + (60-42)SD = 50.

cocodreams

What would be the easiest way to do these questions where we're given a list of students and their percentages in certain subjects. I have literally improvised a table as an example and all the numbers are in percentages and the maximum amount of marks is written near the subject heading. I have come across questions where they ask who achieved the greatest average/mark but I feel it's very time consuming to find the mark using the percentage. Is there an easier way or is it better to skip it?
1593991144254.png

2xq

Allied Health Member
What would be the easiest way to do these questions where we're given a list of students and their percentages in certain subjects. I have literally improvised a table as an example and all the numbers are in percentages and the maximum amount of marks is written near the subject heading. I have come across questions where they ask who achieved the greatest average/mark but I feel it's very time consuming to find the mark using the percentage. Is there an easier way or is it better to skip it?
View attachment 3634

in your example, it seems like D has the greatest avg just eyeballing the results. (correct me if im wrong)

with response to your query about time consumption, if you feel like a question like this really frustrates u, probably a better idea to guess flag skip and come back later if you have time.

cocodreams

in your example, it seems like D has the greatest avg just eyeballing the results. (correct me if im wrong)

with response to your query about time consumption, if you feel like a question like this really frustrates u, probably a better idea to guess flag skip and come back later if you have time.
oh yeah I just made up the numbers so I am not sure either. Yeah I will try eyeball though! :)

Reactions: 2xq

cocodreams

1593997510818.png
I don't quite understand this table. I have highlighted the parts where I think there are 3 or more goals scored by both teams but that's not the case? :(

fishy87

View attachment 3636
I don't quite understand this table. I have highlighted the parts where I think there are 3 or more goals scored by both teams but that's not the case? :(
3 or more goals means 3+ in total, so for example if home scored 2 and away scored 1, that's 3 in total. so (in the format of goals by home v goals by away), it'll be the ones you highlighted + (1 v 2) + (2 v 1) + (2 v 3) + (2 v 4) which is 32 + 7 + 10 + 8 :))

sunnyrain

Hi.
For this question, in the explanation, I'm not sure why they used 30 mph? Why is that the same as accelerating uniformly at 60 mph?
1594001664797.png

cocodreams

3 or more goals means 3+ in total, so for example if home scored 2 and away scored 1, that's 3 in total. so (in the format of goals by home v goals by away), it'll be the ones you highlighted + (1 v 2) + (2 v 1) + (2 v 3) + (2 v 4) which is 32 + 7 + 10 + 8 :))
Oh okay! Yeah the explanation stated that but I didn't understand :( Thank you!

kcx

IMG_8040.jpg IMG_8041.jpg 1594034042795.png
Could someone please explain this question to me? Not sure but I think the calculations in the explanation is wrong? 250,000/300,000,000 = 0.00083 = 0.083% thank you in advance!

Last edited:

N

nb

View attachment 3660
Distance = speed * time, so the distance is the shaded area under the graphs. The area (therefore distance travelled) is equal in both cases.
Just to add onto this, you can think of it this way. Accelerating uniformly to a certain speed produces some gradient. If you find that gradient of acceleration time, or the derivative (da/dt) you get speed. Finding the area under a speed-time graph always gives you the distance traveled. (In calculus, the integral of dv/dt = distance or displacement if it is negative). This ultimately is being used here to find the total distance traveled.