Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Internship: Queensland General Discussion

medstick

Lurker
Hi, I'm fairly new here in regards to asking questions and hope it's okay to ask. I've also searched but I'm afraid I couldn't find anything recent on the topic. I'm an Australian citizen soon graduating from a medical school in NSW, but I would like to apply for an internship in QLD due to family recently moving to Brisbane. Does any one know if it's difficult to obtain an internship in QLD coming from NSW? I know PA, RBWH and Gold Coast are likely not possible for me, but perhaps Mater, Redcliffe, Prince Charles, Ipswich, Logan or further (eg Toowoomba, Caboolture, Sunshine Coast, Hervey Bay, Bundaberg, Rockhampton)? I'd like to stay near enough to Brisbane if possible, but, failing that, I'd be happy with any hospital in QLD, as I'd like to end up in QLD regardless. I'd eventually like to become either a GP or ED registrar if that matters. Cheers!

A1

Rookie Doc
Last year there were 780 intern positions on offer in Qld
> Available intern positions | Queensland Health

I had a quick look in the Med Deans stats, around 720 domestic graduates (UQ 320, JCU 160, GU 140, Bond 100) who have first priority. If this trend continues there should be around 60 spots available to the 2nd category interstate domestic graduates. If fewer than 60 apply you should get a spot but the location will be dicey.

medstick

Lurker
Thanks heaps A1! Do you have any advice as far as preferencing (assuming we are allowed to preference though maybe interstate applicants aren’t)? Eg, I’ve heard Ipswich and Logan generally are less desirable within Brisbane, do you think if I preference Ipswich or Logan as my first preference I might stand a better chance to get a spot among the hopefully 60 available spots? Or would it not matter?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Thanks heaps A1! Do you have any advice as far as preferencing (assuming we are allowed to preference though maybe interstate applicants aren’t)? Eg, I’ve heard Ipswich and Logan generally are less desirable within Brisbane, do you think if I preference Ipswich or Logan as my first preference I might stand a better chance to get a spot among the hopefully 60 available spots? Or would it not matter?
Have you researched the process yourself at all? Intern allocation and selection | Queensland Health

As a group B-D applicant you’ll undergo an individual merit selection process rather than a random ballot process that group A applicants undergo. I gather this means that you apply at each individual hospital that you want to work at, I.e. you may need to participate in multiple interviews depending on where you apply and how competitive your application is.

medstick

Lurker
Have you researched the process yourself at all? Intern allocation and selection | Queensland Health

As a group B-D applicant you’ll undergo an individual merit selection process rather than a random ballot process that group A applicants undergo. I gather this means that you apply at each individual hospital that you want to work at, I.e. you may need to participate in multiple interviews depending on where you apply and how competitive your application is.

Thanks, yes I saw that. But for a different page:

Following the completion of first round offers, the position status report is updated. This is an updated list of available positions.

Applicant group B-D candidates have 48 hours to change their preferences if they wish to.

I assume this means if we are offered spots after interviews at each hospital, then we still have to rank or preference. Is this incorrect?

Sorry forgot the link:

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/employment/work-for-us/clinical/medical/recruitment/intern/selection/overview

Last edited by a moderator:

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
I assume this means if we are offered spots after interviews at each hospital, then we still have to rank or preference. Is this incorrect?
I think Queensland Health will always manage the internship allocations (so you'll put in an application with preferences like everyone else) but because the allocations are merit-based for B-D applicants I don't think there'd be anything to gain from ordering your preferences in any way other than what you'd actually prefer.

Keung

Just wondering if anyone knows something about internships post completion of the Griffith MD course? Are there enough internships available? Any problems with securing an internship?

(Edited by moderator to clarify question.)

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
Just wondering if anyone knows something about internships post completion of the Griffith MD course? Are there enough internships available? Any problems with securing an internship?

(Edited by moderator to clarify question.)

You may want to see this thread:
QLD Internships General Discussion

If you are enquiring about internship allocation before even starting the course, I am going to assume that you are asking as, or on behalf of, an international student applicant to the Griffith MD.

My answer to all international students is this: You have a very real chance of not getting an internship here, and you need to have a plan (at least as a backup) to do internship in your own country of citizenship, or consider not doing medicine in Australia specifically.

Presently, the best state for international students to study medicine in terms of getting an internship is Victoria, because their international students are priority 2 there (over all the interstate applicants) for internship, so their chances of getting an internship is strong. Note that this wouldn't be the case for Griffith's students as they would be interstate international applying to Victoria so pretty much last priority there.

As per A1's post in that thread, there were 780 places available and 720 local domestic graduates applying. Assuming that there is a similar number coming back from interstate as applying to interstate, you have around 60 remaining places which then are all merit based as per the above link from Crow. Note that interstate domestics and in-state internationals are on "equal" footing from the hospitals in QLD for the remaining places, and selection is based on merit rather than by priority group after all in-state domestics have received an offer.

The question then remains whether you can say that you will be in the remaining final internship offers noting that these offers encompass all the interstate applicants as well to QLD.

Keung

If you are enquiring about internship allocation before even starting the course, I am going to assume that you are asking as, or on behalf of, an international student applicant to the Griffith MD.

My answer to all international students is this: You have a very real chance of not getting an internship here, and you need to have a plan (at least as a backup) to do internship in your own country of citizenship, or consider not doing medicine in Australia specifically.

Presently, the best state for international students to study medicine in terms of getting an internship is Victoria, because their international students are priority 2 there (over all the interstate applicants) for internship, so their chances of getting an internship is strong. Note that this wouldn't be the case for Griffith's students as they would be interstate international applying to Victoria so pretty much last priority there.

As per A1's post in that thread, there were 780 places available and 720 local domestic graduates applying. Assuming that there is a similar number coming back from interstate as applying to interstate, you have around 60 remaining places which then are all merit based as per the above link from Crow. Note that interstate domestics and in-state internationals are on "equal" footing from the hospitals in QLD for the remaining places, and selection is based on merit rather than by priority group after all in-state domestics have received an offer.

The question then remains whether you can say that you will be in the remaining final internship offers noting that these offers encompass all the interstate applicants as well to QLD.

I am asking for my kid who is a domestic interstate student already in the course in Griffith
So, is it more difficult for interstate student studying medicine in QLD to get internship placement in QLD comparing to QLD local students?
Just try do my own research. Thanks for your help

Last year there were 780 intern positions on offer in Qld
> Available intern positions | Queensland Health

I had a quick look in the Med Deans stats, around 720 domestic graduates (UQ 320, JCU 160, GU 140, Bond 100) who have first priority. If this trend continues there should be around 60 spots available to the 2nd category interstate domestic graduates. If fewer than 60 apply you should get a spot but the location will be dicey.

720 domestic graduates ,who has priority , you mentioned in your post, does it include interstate students studying medicine in Griffith?

A1

Rookie Doc
720 domestic graduates ,who has priority , you mentioned in your post, does it include interstate students studying medicine in Griffith?

Yes, domestic in this context means Aus/NZ graduates from a QLD med school so includes interstate students studying at Griffith.

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
I am asking for my kid who is a domestic interstate student already in the course in Griffith
So, is it more difficult for interstate student studying medicine in QLD to get internship placement in QLD comparing to QLD local students?
Just try do my own research. Thanks for your help

Not quite - if he is a domestic student studying in Griffith in QLD, he will be first priority for an internship in QLD, but he will be second or third priority if he is applying to internships in other states of Australia.

bourbaki

UQ claims that around 80% of their international graduates (Total intl graduates is around 80 students, excluding Oschner students) get internships within Qld. This contradicts the 60 remaining places. However, the internship places in Qld has increased to around 800 now

I want to ask whether there are any statistics on the number of internationals getting Qld internships. The only data I can find is from the UQ website. Amsa and the QHealth don't seem to have any recent (2020-2022) data on the state of internationals getting internships in Qld?

A1

Rookie Doc
UQ claims that around 80% of their international graduates (Total intl graduates is around 80 students, excluding Oschner students) get internships within Qld. This contradicts the 60 remaining places.
The 60 remaining places was worst-case all 720 Qld graduates take Qld internships, but that's not necessarily true. Like in WA it was reported 15% of WA internships were not taken by WA graduates, presumably they returned to their home states.

Also the fact some of the 80% of UQ's 80 int'l students could have obtained non-Qld internships, or out of the 100 Cmwth-sponsored spots.

bourbaki

It sounds like Qld is a risk for internationals (when it comes to internships) from all that you've said. I would prefer not having to rely on the 100 Cmwth-sponsored spots for an internship, though I have heard that they are undersubscribed historically speaking

A1

Rookie Doc
It sounds like Qld is a risk for internationals (when it comes to internships) from all that you've said.
It's a risk in *every state* for internationals since there is no internship guarantee. Overall, after allocating to all domestic CSPs & FFPs, there are about 300-350 spots left for 500-600 int'l graduates, not enough for everyone.

But it's lower risk in certain states vs others. For example Victoria gives higher priority to Vic int'l graduates than interstate domestic graduates (including those wanting to return to home state Vic), we heard in some years all Vic int'ls got one. Similarly in WA, in particular with so many WA graduates returning to home states.

In NSW int'ls get higher chances if they apply for hospital networks that not many domestics want, as their priority is not "demoted" by the domestics not applying for that network.

mav

Hello!

How did you end up going with QLD applications? I’m sorry to add my own question to your post but I can’t seem to make a post of my own so now this is aimed for everyone:

I am graduating next year from a NSW medical school and am looking to come back to QLD (ideally Sunshine Coast Hospital) where I have family and completed high school, does anyone have any tips on anything I can do over the next few months to improve my chances/merit as an interstate graduate? I was thinking of emailing the hospitals I am interested in in the new year just to get in touch and throw my name out there but would love any other tips re how to make my CV the best it can be, good things to ask the hospitals, if I should go visit them, etc.

Thank you!!

Benjamin

ICU Reg (JCU)
Emeritus Staff
Hello!

How did you end up going with QLD applications? I’m sorry to add my own question to your post but I can’t seem to make a post of my own so now this is aimed for everyone:

I am graduating next year from a NSW medical school and am looking to come back to QLD (ideally Sunshine Coast Hospital) where I have family and completed high school, does anyone have any tips on anything I can do over the next few months to improve my chances/merit as an interstate graduate? I was thinking of emailing the hospitals I am interested in in the new year just to get in touch and throw my name out there but would love any other tips re how to make my CV the best it can be, good things to ask the hospitals, if I should go visit them, etc.

Thank you!!

Hi Mav,

The QLD internship allocation process outside of Group A (domestic, Qld trained) allocations is a mixed bag. Essentially, QLD spots are allocated firstly to Group A applicants and then anything beyond that is a "merit" based system, i.e. if an interstate international student is a better applicant than an interstate domestic student then the hospital can decide to hire whoever they like.

The specific wording is as follows:
There is no inherent prioritisation across applicant groups, the categorisation of these groups are used for reporting for the intern campaign. Each participating Hospital and Health Service establishes individual assessment processes to merit select from their available applicant pool and are not obligated to sequentially select through the applicant groups. To find out about each Hospital and Health Service's merit selection process and what they look for in an intern

This is important because it means that anything which makes you look better actually increases your opportunity of getting a job. Similarly, there isn't really a formal interview process for a lot of these jobs & often the person making the ultimate decisions is non-medical / is the intern co-ordinator & the administration team.

In short, yes e-mailing and going to meet people at the hospital you are applying to is a good idea. It will show them you are a normal human being and enthusiastic about coming. It gives you an opportunity to show them what you're like outside of what your CV / referees / cover letter say. You should prepare for this meeting like it is a job interview (it is).

The other important factor is that by the time non-group A allocations come out (interstate etc) all the group A cohort have been balloted out across the state. Because some people will inevitably apply for places like Sunshine Coast & then move to Sydney / Melbourne / Adelaide etc. there will almost always be positions vacant for Group B-D applicants which Group A applicants are no longer eligible for (they have already been allocated elsewhere). This is how you end up with oversubscribed sites getting international students in internship.

The contact details for who you need to get in touch with can be found here: Internship contact details