Question for Undergraduate Medicine graduates

Discussion in 'Monash' started by Dootyy, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Dootyy

Dootyy New Member

Hey guys, I'm looking at trying for the Undergraduate Medicine degree at Monash, but I have a question for those who have completed the course and then continued on with their career in medicine.

Do you feel as prepared as those who completed Postgraduate medicine, or less prepared?

2. iMMO

iMMO WSU MBBS II

I think they would feel more prepared as they have 5 years to learn the content whilst for post grad that is crammed into 4 years.

3. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

So long as you put in the necessary work, it doesn't matter whether you are undergrad or grad entry.

4. G.Zod

G.Zod New Member

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knew if students did research at Monash, and also whether students get early clinical exposure? (If so how early?) This is for direct entry btw, thanks guys

5. Mana

Mana Registrar Administrar

Resident Medical Officer
    @pi is a direct entry Monash student who just finished his research year, I'm sure he can elaborate more on this!

G.Zod likes this.
  6. pi

pi Junior doctor Administrar

Junior doctor
    For some reason I'm not alerted by tags, so sorry! I answered this in PM but to put it out there for everyone wondering the same thing:

There is an element of research, including coursework during third year (the new mixed BMedSc/MD year) and also a 'scholarly elective' (ie. research rotation) in the fifth year (MD year) of the course too. There is also an optional research "Honours year", the BMedSc(Hons), which many students also do every year, capped at 65 places.

Clinical rotations start at third year (the new mixed BMedSc/MD year). And this could be in metropolitan or rural areas. There are various clinical placements dotted throughout pre-clin years, but it's nothing major.

G.Zod likes this.