Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Adelaide Questions about 2nd round offers for UADEL (MBBS)

Ben Ngoi

Lurker
Sorry if this is weirdly structured, it's my first post!

I've done some searching, but I can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for.

I'm kind of a weird case; I graduated from a NZ high school in 2012 with 3 A*'s in 'A' levels. I'm currently serving as a firefighter for my national service in Singapore, having enlisted in June 2013 and subsequently will be released from service in June of 2015. I sat UMAT last year and only hit the 83rd percentile so I figured all hope was lost for me to get accepted into any kind of medicine or dentistry program.

Somehow I got offered an interview at UADEL for MBBS; I booked the tickets and I'm flying over in a couple of days to sit it on the 29th! I've been doing what preparation I can, but as with UMAT; I don't have that much time and I kind of just lug my laptop to station and try to squeeze in study/preparation while I'm on standby ._.

For the actual questions:
1. I've asked around quite a bit, and for the first part of the interview where they enquiry about your motives and such. How would you ideally answer it? I don't really have any childhood experiences that inspired me- I just gravitated towards this field due to general interest; but that sounds super uninteresting, and I'd rather not give some super selfless and altruistic answer as the interviewer would probably just find it pretentious as heck.
2. What is special about Medicine at Adelaide specifically? I've given the course outlines and such a thorough read, but I can't seem to get much from it. I feel like someone who's well into the course could give me better insight as to how to answer the 'why choose Adelaide' question?
3. Lastly (this is stressing me out the most), after I've been offered an interview, is my UMAT still considered after the oral assessment? Or is it just left to ATAR and the interview? Or is UMAT just considered for interview offers? I feel like a lowly 83rd percentile would leave me fairly disadvantaged even with a good interview, unless it is no longer considered after the interview? Are my chances still competitive despite my feeble attempt at UMAT?

Oh, and since I can only commence in 2016 due to my service, how would I go about deferring the course commencement? I read that I can defer up to 2 years!

Thank you very much for tolerating my stressed rambling!

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads