Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Questions about Dentistry at JCU

onytae

Hey guys,

I have some questions regarding JCU that I would really like answer. I'm in year 12, non-rural and live in Sydney. I'm expecting an atar of around 98.60-99.15 (hopefully).
What are my chances of getting in?
How important is work experience to the application? I've only done work experience in year 10 with a dentist. Should I do some more work experience as soon as my trials finish?
How many letters should I include in application and can they be from anyone (non-family).

Thank You! :)

mighty

Your questions have been answered heaps of times before. I would recommend that you do a search of the forums to get some more detailed answers.

The short answer to your questions is that: entry is not just based on ATAR - it's about 50/50 with ATAR and application so you need to have a pretty outstanding application to get in (about 60 spots out of 1000+ applicants, I believe). However, your predicted ATAR is good and will put you in a good position. The amount of work experience you have done is not important in itself, but rather what you have gained from it. How has your work exp shaped your desire to study dentistry? I'd recommend you do some more work exp not just for the app but for your own personal benefit to gain a little better insight into the profession.

They give you the opportunity to attach up to 3 letters of support - so I think if you can, get 3. Make sure they're from people that know you in different kinds of ways though, ie. a teacher (academically), family friend (personally), etc. You would preferably get a reference from people that have known you for at least a few years.

Hope that helped :)

Last edited:

onytae

Your questions have been answered heaps of times before. I would recommend that you do a search of the forums to get some more detailed answers.

The short answer to your questions is that: entry is not just based on ATAR - it's about 50/50 with ATAR and application so you need to have a pretty outstanding application to get in (about 60 spots out of 1000+ applicants, I believe). However, your predicted ATAR is good and will put you in a good position. The amount of work experience you have done is not important in itself, but rather what you have gained from it. How has your work exp shaped your desire to study dentistry? I'd recommend you do some more work exp not just for the app but for your own personal benefit to gain a little better insight into the profession.

They give you the opportunity to attach up to 3 letters of support - so I think if you can, get 3. Make sure they're from people that know you in different kinds of ways though, ie. a teacher (academically), family friend (personally), etc. You would preferably get a reference from people that have known you for at least a few years.

Hope that helped :)

Thank you for your help :)

Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads