Adelaide Questions from an incoming 2018 student

Discussion in 'University of Adelaide' started by PositiveIntent, Jan 7, 2018.

1. PositiveIntent

PositiveIntent New Member

Hi friends, I'm from Canada and I'll be starting this February.

I was wondering if any current or former students could offer any tips/tricks/advice for my first year?
    I have a couple specific questions too:

- are there any need-to-haves or need-to-knows?
    - anything to watch out for from certain profs?
    - maybe a brief explanation of how contact and non-contact hours work and how it relates to my timetable
    - I read in some of the course outlines that attendance is mandatory. How does that work in cases of sickness?
    - any need-to-knows about public transit?
    - sketchy areas? I'll probably only be around the central area south of the river
    - restaurant recommendations?
    - recommended entertainment venues/activities?

Thanks a bunch!

2. Look@meimBellaG

Look@meimBellaG New Member

Hey friend ;) Congrats on getting into dent.
    I'm a current student in 4th year so my memory of the first year of dent may not be the most helpful. I can also give you some other contacts from 2nd Year (can also do Canadian students specifically) if you'd like.

Any need-to-haves or need-to-knows?
    Good attitude? Nah not really, the course is quite slow for the first few weeks for new students and they'll do lectures for everything you need to know. Only textbooks I could maybe recommend in advance are Junqueira's Basic Histology and Sherwood's Human Physio, but just borrow those from the library or other students when you get to Adelaide.

Anything to watch out for?
    In first year no, I think all tutors are fair and kind so long as you are prepared for sessions.

How contact and Non-contact hours work?
    Hmmm honestly first year has one of the most contact hours of the degree, mostly lectures but some clinic, sim clinic, tutorials and lab sessions. You'll probably have the equivalent of 4 1/2 work days (give or take) with an hour or two for lunch.
    Non-contact hours are the 'expected time' spent on preparing for classes and writing lecture notes - you might spend an hour or two a couple times a week on this if you're studious?
    Let me know if you want to know more on this and I'll try my best.

Mandatory Attendance?
    Sim clinic, Clinic are expected 100% attendance. Lectures, tutorials and lab sessions are somewhat more flexible but I would encourage you to go to them to get the most out of your learning and to hang out with classmates.
    If you're sick you need a medical certificate that you could get from a GP and submit it .... somewhere. They'll tell you in the first weeks ;)

Need-to-knows about Public Transport?
    Buses don't often come on time ;) You'll probably need a bus pass to catch the bus to your clinics in Gilles Planes (which I assume will still be there) and 2nd years and staff will let you know your options for travelling there.
    You can get a concession bus pass cos you're a student too.

Sketchy areas?
    Hindley Street at late night on a Friday - Saturday.

Recommended Restaurants / Entertainment venues / Activities?
    - There are some nice cafe areas near Ebenezer place in the north-east of the CBD.
    - Glenelg beach west of the CBD has lots of good places
    - Sean's Kitchen on North Terrace is yummy
    - Palace Nova (cinema complex) also on East Terrace is good and has a student special on Mon and Tues - tickets for $8
    - I guess I don't really go out much

3. DDest

DDest UAdel BDS I

Hello and Congratulations on getting into dentistry!

I am starting next year too!

I made a group a few weeks back to allow for people, new to adelaide/starting uni, to mingle/get to know each other before the course started.

If you're interested, here's the group link: Log in to Facebook | Facebook

See you at uni :) !

4. PositiveIntent

Thanks so much for your info! I appreciate it a lot. I'd definitely be interested in chatting with fellow Canadians if you could pass me their contact info! If it's still possible, I can pm you my email or something :) Thanks!

5. PositiveIntent

Hey man. Yeah I"ll definitely check out that group! Thanks for dropping the link :)

6. Look@meimBellaG

Yeah he's keen to chat - if you email me at bella.gmatheson@gmail.com I'll pass along his details (Facebook; Phone Number; Email Address) in a bit more private setting

7. hia

hia New Member

ive just been informed that we need to buy about $1400 worth of dental equipment and so i was wondering if any current dental surgery students at UAdel know if we have to buy this equipment from the uni or can we buy it second hand from another place and if we can, from where?

8. dentally

dentally New Member

9. dentally

dentally New Member

10. dentally

dentally New Member

11. dentally

dentally New Member

Hi,
    Thanks for reply.
    I read in post they Adelaide dental has high fail rate. I am wondering:
    -what happens if you fail a dental/non dental course? Are you able to repeat course or do you have to repeat the whole year?
    -does anyone get kicked out? How long do you have to finish 5 yr program? What’s their specific policy?

12. Look@meimBellaG

At Adelaide, we have one integrated course for the year, not subjects ... so if you fail, you have to repeat the whole year :/
    People do sometimes (rarely) get kicked out if they fail the same year 2/3 times.
    I don't think there's a specific policy on how long we have to finish the degree.

13. defraggle

defraggle New Member

We don't speak of the departed...seriously though, there lots of resources and help from upper years, mentoring available that passing isn't an issue with continued, sustained work. The peeps that end up failing do so because:

1) They're clinically not good enough
    2) They've majorly got on the wrong side of a tutor
    3) They've consistently failed exams
    4) Combination of the above: and don't have the attendance record for moderators to change their mind

One guy failed once because he basically didn't contribute to the ILAs (Problem Based Learning) groups for the whole year and his group dobbed him in. Since he borderlined exams, he got kicked out of the course.

14. dentally

dentally New Member

Thanks for clarifying defraggle. I have another question.
    Is it true that students work on extracted teeth mounted on manuiquins starting from year one? Or do you start with practicing on acrylic teeth first?

15. PositiveIntent

Work on mounted extracted teeth starting in second semester of first year. You are given first semester to gather sufficient teeth from local clinics.