Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

ltwilson.25

Instead of trying to arrange a swap, I think the best thing might be to contact UNE/UNE/JMP or whatever to tell them about the situation. They might be able to help you by a) allowing you to study at UoN (although might be a stretch), or b) allowing you to take a gap year so you can save some money up to be able to move over there or c) even possibly give you some sort of financial help or something via a scholarship. They are very very unlikely to arrange a "swap" between people, because if they were to arrange a swap for someone, what about the people who performed better than you, but also want to be a UoN? so best bet is to try and contact them and work it out. Congratulations on your offer btw, great achievement!!

Thank you!
Just so I'm on the same page, are offers for UoN and UNE randomised? Or are they dependent on performance (i.e. Higher performers are sent to UoN)?

Cal

vibe
Thank you!
Just so I'm on the same page, are offers for UoN and UNE randomised? Or are they dependent on performance (i.e. Higher performers are sent to UoN)?
they are dependent on performance, so the best performers will get their first preference and so on (most people have UoN as first pref)

ltwilson.25

they are dependent on performance, so the best performers will get their first preference and so on (most people have UoN as first pref)
I'm still a little confused, as there are UoN students who received BMP positions. Does that mean that, of the higher scoring applicants that were allocated to Newcastle, they themselves are also separated into CSP and BMP? 🤔

Reactions: Cal

Cal

vibe
I'm still a little confused, as there are UoN students who received BMP positions. Does that mean that, of the higher scoring applicants that were allocated to Newcastle, they themselves are also separated into CSP and BMP? 🤔
It is assume that you would prefer a CSP over a BMP as there are no strings attached. Now they have places that are csp and BMP at both unis. So they will fill your preference in the order of preferred location csp > other location csp > preferred location BMP > other location bmp now you could possibly ask JMP if you could downgrade to a BMP at UoN if you prefer, and then they would upgrade someone to take your spot (I am sure that person would be very happy), but honestly best thing to do is email them and they can lay out your options for you issue :)

Edit: the highest scoring applications are not given to UoN automatically they are given their preferred location which in most cases is UoN but they have the decision between UNE and UoN

Kezza

Kevin
I know this is probably a stretch, but thought it would be worth asking:

Are there any fellow JMP students out there who have been accepted to study at Newcastle, but would rather/need to study at Armidale instead? I was accepted to Armidale but have family in Newcastle, and will likely struggle a little financially if I have to move.

Am asking this to see if anyone is interested in contacting the uni's to see if an exchange of sorts is possible.

Congratulations to everyone who received offers today! :)
Even if someone wanted to swap with you - this would never happen. Would be completely unfair to the next person in line who wanted the Newcastle spot. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You would need extremely specific circumstances to be considered for a change and financial would definitely not be one.

ltwilson.25

It is assume that you would prefer a CSP over a BMP as there are no strings attached. Now they have places that are csp and BMP at both unis. So they will fill your preference in the order of preferred location csp > other location csp > preferred location BMP > other location bmp now you could possibly ask JMP if you could downgrade to a BMP at UoN if you prefer, and then they would upgrade someone to take your spot (I am sure that person would be very happy), but honestly best thing to do is email them and they can lay out your options for you issue :)

Edit: the highest scoring applications are not given to UoN automatically they are given their preferred location which in most cases is UoN but they have the decision between UNE and UoN
Awesome, thank you for the clarification! :)

abash80

Your qualification/s do not meet the minimum requirement for the following:
  • Pref 2 785000 B Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine (Joint Medical Program) at Uni Newcastle/UNE 24 Feb 2020 (Course type: CSP)
Does qualification mean ATAR/GPA or MSA/PQA score or both?
Also how do I know if they considered my ATAR or my GPA?

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Your qualification/s do not meet the minimum requirement for the following:
  • Pref 2 785000 B Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine (Joint Medical Program) at Uni Newcastle/UNE 24 Feb 2020 (Course type: CSP)
Does qualification mean ATAR/GPA or MSA/PQA score or both?
Also how do I know if they considered my ATAR or my GPA?

Your GPA is above the hurdle so you don’t have to worry about that being the factor. This will be referring to your interview score ranking (the UAC language is ambiguous unfortunately).

Hey everyone, if I enrol myself into UNE would I be able to still apply to other medicine courses such as WSU and UON or will they bar me from their selection pool?

A1

Rookie Doc
Hey everyone, if I enrol myself into UNE would I be able to still apply to other medicine courses such as WSU and UON or will they bar me from their selection pool?

Please be more specific in your question, applying to WSU/UON as in next year?

If you enrol into UNE then withdraw before the census date, yes you will be able to apply to WSU/UON next year.
If you enrol then study at UNE past the census date you can't apply to WSU as non-standard, can only apply for a special-case transfer. I don't know whether JMP would take you as a new applicant next year while you are already in the JMP program; most likely not.

A1

Rookie Doc
Good luck everyone (esp. MSO’s own @Sherlock and @Smelly Boy).

Your good luck wish worked for both, congratulations. Next time please remember to say esp. followed by 200 usernames.

Totolier

I would like more clarification.
THE uon medicine course says the first 3 years is medical science, the next 2 years is a medical course (5 years total).
Just like how you can transfer from UQ med (UQ does med sci first) to wsu med, can u transfer from uon med to wsu med???

garmonbozia

Membered Value
Valued Member
THE uon medicine course says the first 3 years is medical science, the next 2 years is a medical course (5 years total).
Just like how you can transfer from UQ med (UQ does med sci first) to wsu med, can u transfer from uon med to wsu med???
You've already asked this in another thread. You can't transfer between medical courses (in non-exceptional circumstances), even though the first 2 or 3 years might technically be classified as a Bachelor of Medical Studies or similar.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
As far as I know the only types of places that you can do that is for provisional courses eg. UWA or UQ or USyd DDMP or UMelb chancellors kind of thing. If it is an MBBS, or is a 5 year course that gives an MD, if you can't just apply for a bachelor of medical studies (or whatever the associated bachelor degree is) directly through the designated TAC, chances are that it is too integrated with the MD component to be considered seperate in the eyes of tertiary transfer unis like WSU/UoN.

Status
Not open for further replies.