Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
Just like how you can transfer from UQ med (UQ does med sci first) to wsu med
You can apply to WSU as a non-standard applicant and then start the WSU program in first year (not just from UQ, and not just if you study med science). This is very different from transferring between medical degrees.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
Where are you getting this information? Please don’t post misinformation unless you’ve verified the information first. You can apply to WSU as a non-standard applicant and then start the WSU program in first year (not just from UQ, and not just if you study med science). This is very different from transferring between medical degrees.
I think his question is whether WSU considers the BMed section (first 3 years of the course) as a seperate degree to the MD since they technically award you a BMed/MD at the end of the 5 years. I don't think he was intentionally insinuating that you can transfer between medical degrees, moreso about whether you can get the BMed in the first 3 years and then transfer out, if the BMed itself is not considered a medical degree

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I would like more clarification.
THE uon medicine course says the first 3 years is medical science, the next 2 years is a medical course (5 years total).
Just like how you can transfer from UQ med (UQ does med sci first) to wsu med, can u transfer from uon med to wsu med???

Where’d you get the impression that “UQ does med sci first”?

UQ provisional Med requires students complete a three year bachelor (or four, I think, ie. pharmacy) prior to moving to the four year MD, but it certainly doesn’t have to be BMedSci to my knowledge.

And you certainly don’t “transfer” to WSU from UQ undergrad. You apply via the non-standard pathway (while still in the provisional component of the course) and you start at year 1, regardless of the undergrad degree you did/are doing.

If you were in the MD component of the UQ degree or studying Med via the JMP at UoN or UNE you could apply to WSU via the transfer pathway (only), but I highly, highly doubt you’d be successful.

Last edited:

Lyyrre

USYD MD I
I would like more clarification.
THE uon medicine course says the first 3 years is medical science, the next 2 years is a medical course (5 years total).
Just like how you can transfer from UQ med (UQ does med sci first) to wsu med, can u transfer from uon med to wsu med???

I think you have a misconception here, the 3 year MSC + 2 year MD course is the UoN/UNE JMP Med program.

This is like WSU B.ClinSci/MD, UNSW B.Med/MD. At the start of these degrees, you go through all the procedures of a starting medical student and you are considered a medical student. You can't separate the components, and normally you would graduate and be awarded the bachelors with the masters. You don't get the option to study medical science at UoN as a standalone, it is always in combination with the MD in the JMP.

On the contrary, programs such as the USyd DDMP, UniMelb, UQ Provisional med have standalone undergrads. You complete those chosen undergrads (science, biomed, pharm etc.) and graduate with those degrees, after which you begin a completely separate 4 year MD course. Before starting the 4 year MD, you are not a med student, but you have a guarantee into med in varying degrees. These provisional med degrees are very competitive to get into, and often times are at a similar level of difficulty to get into as undergrad med. During the undergrad part of these provisional med degrees as with UQ (say you choose science first), you are not considered a med student and can't use it to transfer to other medical schools.

Would also like to debunk the myth that Newcastle is easy to get into. It's not.

Last edited:

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
neither can you graduate with the bachelors without the masters.

You can actually graduate from initial JMP entry (and possibly other unis) ‘early’ with a BMedSci or similar. Though this is typically only offered to students who are not meeting requirements for progression to the next year of the degree and other exceptional circumstances (it’s certainly not done routinely). It’s the same at UTAS (you can be ‘encouraged’ to take BMedSci if you’re not progressing adequately with clinical skills, for example). It’s very (very) rare, but definitely possible.

A1

Rookie Doc
By nature, this is a double degree

Technically it's not. Double degree is like USyd where some can get into the 2nd with any 1st degree. JMP/WSU are known as articulated or sequential degrees which you must do the particular 1st degree followed by the 2nd.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
You can actually graduate from initial JMP entry (and possibly other unis) ‘early’ with a BMedSci or similar. Though this is typically only offered to students who are not meeting requirements for progression to the next year of the degree and other exceptional circumstances (it’s certainly not done routinely). It’s the same at UTAS (you can be ‘encouraged’ to take BMedSci if you’re not progressing adequately with clinical skills, for example). It’s very (very) rare, but definitely possible.
Yeah, our very own Cathay left a medical degree with an exit degree I believe!

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
Technically it's not. Double degree is like USyd where some can get into the 2nd with any 1st degree. JMP/WSU are known as articulated or sequential degrees which you must do the particular 1st degree followed by the 2nd.

Yep, other well known examples of double degrees would be Arts/Law or Commerce/Law, done at the same time, not one after the other.

Last edited:

Cathay

🚂Train Driver🚆
Emeritus Staff
Yeah, our very own Cathay left a medical degree with an exit degree I believe!
Hi, just got tagged there. I have no context of what's happening in this thread, but since 2018 at Otago, any student who have completed 3 or more years of Medicine/Dentistry/Pharmacy/Physiotherapy/MedLabSci/RadiationTherapy/OralHealth/etc who are withdrawing permanently from the professional course and do not wish to cross-credit to pursue further tertiary study, can opt for an exit degree, Bachelor of Health Sciences (BHealSc), which is what I got.

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
I think you have a misconception here, the 3 year MSC + 2 year MD course is the UoN/UNE JMP Med program.

By nature, this is a double degree just like WSU B.ClinSci/MD, UNSW B.Med/MD. At the start of these degrees, you go through all the procedures of a starting medical student and you are considered a medical student. You can't separate the components, neither can you graduate with the bachelors without the masters. You don't get the option to study medical science at UoN as a standalone, it is always in combination with the MD in the JMP.

On the contrary, programs such as the USyd DDMP, UniMelb, UQ Provisional med have standalone undergrads. You complete those chosen undergrads (science, biomed, pharm etc.) and graduate with those degrees, after which you begin a completely separate 4 year MD course. Before starting the 4 year MD, you are not a med student, but you have a guarantee into med in varying degrees. These provisional med degrees are very competitive to get into, and often times are at a similar level of difficulty to get into as undergrad med. During the undergrad part of these provisional med degrees as with UQ (say you choose science first), you are not considered a med student and can't use it to transfer to other medical schools.

Would also like to debunk the myth that Newcastle is easy to get into. It's not.
The best test to see when you start the medical portion of your degree is the year in which you sign your bonded medical place forms, should you get a bonded medical place. I know that for UWA, you sign it in your last year of your undergrad/first year of the MD portion, so that indicates that the first 3 years are not considered medicine (I believe it's the same case in UQ). Meanwhile with UoN and WSU and Monash, even though you get an MD in the end, you have to sign those contracts in the first year of accepting.

Lyyrre

USYD MD I

You're right I stand corrected, studying med/art at UNSW would be considered a double degree while med/MD would be considered sequential, I'll make these corrections in my original post. Interesting to learn that you can exit a degree early, never knew that before. Although it raises the question of what one could do, with hypothetically say just a bachelor of medical studies from UNSW which is a pretty exclusive bachelors normally awarded with the MD (not saying that UNSW does this).

Lyyrre

USYD MD I

Also I'm aware that some unis such as USyd and Flinders uses the term double degree for its bachelors + MD pathway. However, the terms tend to vary from uni to uni. Griffith, for example, doesn't use the term double degree anywhere and instead sees the medical science component as a standalone, but gives provisional entry into the MD. The point being that the term double degree seems to be quite loosely defined.

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
You're right I stand corrected, studying med/art at UNSW would be considered a double degree while med/MD would be considered sequential, I'll make these corrections in my original post. Interesting to learn that you can exit a degree early, never knew that before. Although it raises the question of what one could do, with hypothetically say just a bachelor of medical studies from UNSW which is a pretty exclusive bachelors normally awarded with the MD (not saying that UNSW does this).
You really couldn’t do much with a degree like that, as it’s really just meant to be the initial portion of a medical degree (and an incomplete medical degree isn’t particularly useful for vocational purposes). Though, it’s nice that people’s efforts can be formally recognised if they don’t fully complete their degree but complete a significant portion.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator

I’d think there wouldn’t be a great deal you could do with it on its own, similar to any BHealthSci, BMedSci, BBioMed degree.

You probably couldn’t even use it to get into honours given it’s likely the reason you’re getting early exit is because your GPA isn’t adequate.

Totolier

This is like WSU B.ClinSci/MD, UNSW B.Med/MD. At the start of these degrees, you go through all the procedures of a starting medical student and you are considered a medical student. You can't separate the components, and normally you would graduate and be awarded the bachelors with the masters. You don't get the option to study medical science at UoN as a standalone, it is always in combination with the MD in the JMP.

this is a perfect answer

Status
Not open for further replies.