Quick Questions Thread #2: 2018-2019

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by LMG!, Aug 13, 2018.

1. conrs

conrs New Member

Hi all! Sorry if someone has asked this already, but is GPA a hurdle in interview selection for the JMP? I know their 'cutoff' is only a credit average or something but I assume you'd have to have a lot higher than that to receive an interview (provided your UCAT is high etc)? Thanks :)

maniacfish likes this.
  2. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    Yes, it is a hurdle. Nope, you don't have to have "a lot higher than that" :D

And if UMAT is anything to go by, you may not need a particularly "high" UCAT, either. Somewhere around the middle was typically enough for JMP, as long as your scores were distributed as per requirements.

conrs likes this.
  3. conrs

conrs New Member

Awesome, thanks for that :) ! That's a bit of a relief. Once you receive an interview, are you ranked solely on this for selection or do they still use your GPA/UCAT?

4. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    They have previously just used S1 of UMAT as a tiebreaker only. No clue how they'll use UCAT.

conrs likes this.
  5. conrs

conrs New Member

Hi again! In doing some research on past threads, it appears that for the JMP, interstate applicants (namely VIC) take their interviews/receive their offers considerably later than NSW (unsure if I'm correct in this though). Does this mean the chance of receiving a place is drastically reduced/unlikely?

6. Crow

Crow Moderator (Griffith MD) Most Active 2018

It shouldn’t do - in contrast to somewhere like Monash, I believe JMP leave aside a fair amount of places and then apply the same cutoff for the local applicants to the interstate applicants. If there were more interstates above the cutoff then they should receive a “second round” offer when the interstate students receive their offers, but if not then more of the places would just go to interstate students. A1 probably knows more of the process though.

conrs likes this.
  7. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    Five schools UNSW, JMP, Monash, UWA, Curtin hold interviews for interstate applicants much later. On surface it's not for discriminative purposes but to allow the applicants already with a home state offer (around mid-Jan) to opt out of interstate interviews to save on travel costs.

It varies whether this mean the chance of receiving a place offer is drastically reduced. UNSW is on records saying interstate applicants are not disadvantaged, meaning they set aside a sufficient number of places to offer to interstate interviewees. JMP is probably like that too based on the occasional 2nd round offers back to 1st round interviewees. Otoh Monash sets aside only 15-20 places (less than 10% of the intake) resulting in very high ATAR+UMAT cutoffs for interstate invites/offers. UWA & Curtin are probably somewhere in between.

conrs and drpkjr like this.
  8. Mark Beecher

Mark Beecher New Member

Hey everyone! If I start a degree (not medicine) at the University of Adelaide this year, can I still apply for medicine at other universities in Australia for entry next year, using my ATAR? Or does starting such a degree lock me into only being able to apply to transfer to medicine at the University of Adelaide? Thanks!

9. BethMark25

BethMark25 WSU MBBS II

It depends, some universities will accept you, some won't.
    For example, I believe this will exclude you from UTAS as they no longer take non-standards.
    You can still apply to UNSW but they will use both your ATAR and GPA to calculate academic eligibility.
    I believe WSU will use your GPA or ATAR (whichever is higher) - but someone may correct me on that, it's been a while since I applied.
    You can apply to JMP but I think they'll use your GPA.

You need to look at the selection criteria. It's tedious, but you certainly have options :)

Mark Beecher likes this.
  10. Mark Beecher

Mark Beecher New Member

Thanks a lot BethMark!! There are so many pathways, it's hard to decide which is best! I'll look into them :)

BethMark25 likes this.
  11. Crow

Universities that accept non-standard student applications from those with an incomplete degree: JCU, JMP, UNSW, WSU, Bond. Obviously you can also apply to Adelaide in your case as a lateral transfer, and you’ll be able to apply to Curtin when you have a completed degree (along with graduate entry).

Mark Beecher likes this.
  12. Mark Beecher

Mark Beecher New Member

That's super helpful, thanks Crow!!

Crow likes this.
  13. 1234med

1234med Regular Member

Does everyone need to go through unaccredited registrar years? Or is it only for certain competitive specialties?

14. Crow

Nope, from my understanding generally they’re just undertaken to build experience while one tries to get onto a training program of some kind. Unaccredited positions are more common in certain specialties, I think in surgery they are particularly common.

1234med likes this.
  15. 1234med

1234med Regular Member

Thanks very much Crow! I'm guessing it's 1 yr internship --> resident--> unaccredited registrar years---> accredited registrar years once you're in the program/ completing fellowship
    Is residency the same as unaccredited registrar years? Is unaccredited registrar years a sort of subset of residency?

16. Crow

Nope, registrars (either accredited or unaccredited) come above residents in that they have greater responsibility and likely are paid more. The difference between an accredited and unaccredited registrar position is that the former is counting towards an eventual fellowship whereas the latter is not - I believe this comes down to a) the fact that a hospital/network can only offer x amount of accredited positions as allocated by the college (e.g. RACP) and b) for a position to be accredited it needs to satisfy a certain list of requirements to ensure a trainee is gaining the necessary experience / competence to both pass the exams and (probably more importantly) be a fully competent consultant at the completion of fellowship. chinaski may want to correct me or add more here though.

1234med likes this.
  17. 1234med

1234med Regular Member

Makes sense, thanks very much. So is residency similar to internship in terms of not working in a particular specialty (more responsibility though perhaps)? How long does residency usually go for or does they vary?

18. Crow

I believe essentially yes, with more responsibility and better pay. If you're a member of PD, I recommend you read this thread: Login.

1234med likes this.
  19. BoEaC

BoEaC New Member

Is anki popular among students in med school? Do people make their own decks or is there a comprehensive one that someone has made that relates to the Australian med curriculum?

I know in America theres the bro deck, but I figured its not a good idea to follow that one since it'll be based on stuff thats taught in American schools and not necessarily Australian schools.

20. EuXhroma

EuXhroma UNSW BMed/MD II

Anki is pretty useful imo, and the vast majority of peeps in my cohort use it and share decks around. However, the best way to use anki imo is to make your own one. It helps you to better learn stuff that you have difficulty with, and also create mnemonics to remember stuff