Quick Questions Thread #2: 2018-2019

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by LMG!, Aug 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ruffle

Ruffle Admissions Helper Moderator

MSO's Official Personal Stylist
    Perfect, glad to hear! :D Hopefully this will be of use to others as well.

Malto likes this.
  2. jq99

jq99 New Member

When looking at entry into Melbourne MD, would a higher GPA be required from an Arts undergrad vs. Biomed vs. Science?

3. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Griffith MD
    No, all degrees are considered equally for the assessment of an applicant’s GPA.

4. Perplex

Perplex Moderator Moderator

Nop all degrees are considered equal. Just for you to note, there were recent changes and now the 3rd year GPA is only weighted x2, and the MMI counts for 50% of the applicants standing (it's still 50/50 between GPA and GAMSAT to gain the interview though).

5. Q3

Q3 Regular Member

A1 If a person's undergrad met WSU's GPA threshold but any higher degrees did not, would WSU look at the most recent study or the highest of all GPA's?

6. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    That's a tricky question. WSU webpage used to say you could use whichever academic result that best helps your application. We thought that was between ATAR and GPA, but could be interpreted as between different sets of GPA too. Best to check directly with WSU.

7. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    Once you've graduated with a degree, WSU no longer use whichever academic result best helps your application, they drop ATAR and only use GPA. Given this, if you've graduated with a higher degree, I'd imagine that they would use that (ie. the most recent completed degree), but as A1 mentioned, probably best to check with them.

8. hyperbole

hyperbole New Member

GPA doesn't matter in terms of degree.

However, if you do an Arts degree, you've got to somehow fit in the anatomy, biochemistry and physiology prerequisities for UniMelb (if you take these at UniMelb itself, the subject has its own prerequisites to do).

Assuming you're competent at both the sciences and the humanities: Due to subjective marking, it's "harder" to get HDs in humanities subjects Markers don't seem to like giving full marks for essays and while there is usually a marking rubric, the interpretation of that rubric can differ depending on the marker. For someone that is competent at science based subjects, achieving the higher numerical grade may be easier (due to the objective nature of the subject).

Now it may be easier to pass an arts subject because you can often fluff your way in writing an essay. However, if you don't know anything in science, you're stuffed for the exam. But passes don't lead to med school entry, especially at Melbourne.

Q3 likes this.
  9. Q3

Q3 Regular Member

The above post hits the nail on the head. It can be easier to pass an arts subject by writing fluff, but getting a HD is not easy. You can theoretically get 100% in science based exams if you know the content, but getting top marks in an essay can be hard due to the subjective nature of marking.

10. chinaski

chinaski Regular Member

Having completed an Arts degree, I would argue that there is not as much subjectivity in marking as people often assume, though it is true that a "perfect" mark in Arts rarely occurs. I would also suggest that passing a university-level unit by submitting "fluff" is a bit of an ambitious generalisation - they don't automatically pass you if you hand in complete rubbish, and they can see through somebody who is just writing wanky crap in an attempt to sound clever. I would concur that getting an HD isn't as easy as people think, but it's often more to do with the high level of content, analysis and ability that markers expect, as well as the fact that Arts subjects tend to attract people with an aptitude and strength in the field - so you're being marked against a high calibre.

Ruffle likes this.
  11. apk22

apk22 New Member

Someone today told me that they know someone who got into Monash Med after doing a year of biomed at Melbourne and transferred but I thought there was no NSE at Monash. Anyone got any thoughts on whether this could be true?

May likes this.
  12. A1

UWA MD
    Since Monash has no transfer/non-standard pathway the only way that could happen was the person applied with their previous year's ATAR and did not reveal their UoM first year study.

May likes this.
  13. Perplex

Perplex Moderator Moderator

Can't be considering that they don't take people who have commenced an undergraduate degree already.

apk22 likes this.
  14. Kale

Kale New Member

Hi,
    I am a graduate from University of Auckland, New Zealand intending to apply for medicine in 2020 into University of Western Sydney. Would like understand the minimum GPA required for entry. Also University of Auckland GPA is based on a scale of 9. How does this convert to UWS scale? Appreciate if someone can provide some guidance.

May likes this.
  15. A1

UWA MD
    For WSU with a completed degree you need GPA 5.6+ (as assessed by UAC not WSU). I tried to understand UAC's conversion method described under Overseas qualifications in this link but can't work out what they mean
    > How your tertiary qualifications are graded and assessed - UAC

Note the 5.6+ is a hurdle so you don't need it higher to be more competitive. As a guess I think WAM in the high 70s or better should make 5.6+. If you want to be sure google UAC QAS then pay them $140 for an official assessment. Good luck.

May likes this.
  16. Foreverhopeful

Foreverhopeful New Member

Hello, another fellow New Zealander here! How are you planning on paying for your degree? I know we are eligible for commonwealth seats but we aren't eligible to get a student loan. Have you saved up to pay for your degree?

May likes this.
  17. Kale

Kale New Member

Parents help hopefully :)

18. May

May New Member

Hi,
    I am also from New Zealand! I have done two years of tertiary study, havent finished any degree yet, will I be able to apply to Aussie med/dent universities as an undergraduate?
    In 2018, I did the first year of a degree - didn’t like it and now I have started a different degree.
    (I did apply last year but my UMAT was terrible and didn’t get any offers)
    Thanks

19. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    Yes, you can apply to non-standard Unis only on the basis of your GPA (or GPA&ATAR equivalent). You will need to do UCAT to access these.

May likes this.
  20. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    MODERATOR NOTE: I am closing this thread now, as a thread for the 2019/2020 admissions cycle has been opened.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.