Quick Questions Thread #2: 2018

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by LMG!, Aug 13, 2018.

1. LMG!

LMG! UTAS MBBS I Moderator

Clinical Psychologist
    Advanced standing is, I’m guessing, not quite what you think it is. You definitely don’t need to (indeed, can’t) apply for this for Med. Advanced standing, otherwise known as recognition of prior learning, is when you’ve completed a unit in a previous enrolment that has considerable (70%+) crossover with a unit required for your current enrolment. On a case by case basis, you can effectively be excused from re-doing the content. This really only applies to students with previous tertiary achievements and (regardless of educational history) is not accepted for UTAS Med (you have to do all of everything from the start of year one no matter what your background is).

What you need to do is to mention somewhere (there used to be an ‘additional information’ section, so somewhere like that) that you’re enrolled in and intending to complete the UTAS chemistry bridging course as you understand it is a pre-requisite for MBBS. You could even attach a copy of your enrolment just to make it really obvious (even though, as I mentioned, UTAS will have access to this info - you just want to make doubly sure they see it!).

Hopefully that makes sense!

walks787 likes this.
  2. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    Previously, first round WSU Med offers came out in December. This was for local (eta: not locals, just rurals) and rural applicants only. I know this for a fact because it’s when I got my offer last year :)

I’m not sure what they’re planning this year, as I understand their interview process is going to be a little different.

ETA: this was not the case for JMP and UNSW, just WSU. Their rationale was that it gave rural students (possibly living far away) more time to organise their relocation.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    fupson likes this.
  3. fupson

fupson New Member

Thanks so much LMG! It'll be interesting to see how things change in the process this year.

LMG! likes this.
  4. walks787

walks787 New Member

Yep thank you very much! Hopefully the last question sorry!!

5. q2017

q2017 Regular Member

I thought it is January for locals and December for rurals?

LMG! and maniacfish like this.
  6. maniacfish

maniacfish New Member

Yup January for locals is how it was last year

LMG! likes this.
  7. BethMark25

BethMark25 WSU MBBS I

I'm pretty certain that's correct q2017. In our current cohort only the rural students (including myself) got early offers before Christmas, all the local students I've spoken to received offers in January at the earliest.

8. LiShengshun

LiShengshun New Member

“Scores will not be averaged, which means that a high score in one of the three components will not compensate for a low score in another.“

(From unsw site)
    Anyone know how exactly how this changes their ranking method? Seems confusing since their previous line says ‘Applicants are selected based on the highest rank determined by all three measures’.

9. Ruffle

Ruffle Raining enthusiasm

Previously, they would average out your scores, i.e. the data they would use would be your UMAT raw score, your TEA, and whatever they use to rank your interviews. This would result in someone with, for example, an exceptionally high UMAT but a mediocre ATAR + interview having a much higher chance of getting in- that is to say, an amazing performance in one component would give you a large advantage over others.

Now, (we think), they use your rank in each component. The person with a UMAT of 250 might be ranked 1st, and the next score along might be 230, which would be ranked 2nd - the impact having an outlying score in any of the 3 components would be diminished, and more well-rounded candidates are more likely to be offered a place in the end.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    LMG!, LiShengshun, A1 and 2 others like this.
  10. walks787

walks787 New Member

Are IB SL Math and German adequate to gain the UQ bonus points?

If you already have your year 12 results and UMAT results, could you potentially receive a UTAS offer in late October? As an interstate, rural applicant that is.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2018
  11. A1

A1 Certified Admissions Guru Moderator

UWA MD minus-I
    German (if a full-year subject) should be eligible for the LOTE bonus. For the Maths C bonus you need to do either Maths HL or Methods SL/HL
    > Interstate subject equivalents (scroll down to the IB section).

Thank you very much!!

walks787 likes this.
  12. A1

UWA MD minus-I
    I checked back in the Offers thread, it seems the earliest UTas rural offers last year were on 4th Dec so October is unlikely.

Okay thank you very very much for your help again!

Also, will the rural bonus points and second language bonus points get me to the 99 cut off for uq? My atar was 98.3.

The rural 2 bonus points is enough to raise ATAR 97 to Rank 99, you don't need the LOTE bonus.
    But what you mean your ATAR was 98.3 ? I hope you didn't mean you got it last year as this would make you ineligible for UQ Med.

Oh really? I took a gap year to improve my UMAT. Does that make me ineligible?

Unfortunately yes, UQ Med (not sure about UQ Dent) has a rule that you can only apply in the year you complete Y12.
    (Although someone got around this rule by doing 1 or 2 fill-in Y12 subjects during the gap year).

Oh hang on.

I completed three of my subjects in the May exam session of this year and three in the November session of last year. I got my actual result in July of this year. Does that mean I’m still eligible??

Great news to hear, yes you are back in :D

Phew! Thank you so much again :)

acbard9 and walks787 like this.
  13. A1

UWA MD minus-I
    For anyone interested this link gives the 2017 numbers of domestic students (Aus+NZ) in the Med schools
    > Student Statistics Tables - Medical Deans Australia and New Zealand

Points to note:
    - UQ has donated 40 CSP places to Griffith's new Sunshine Coast campus
    - While Curtin added 60 new there's an unexplained reduction of 40 places from USyd
    - Flinders' intake seems to be trending down
    - Y2-Y4 average around 3150, Y1 = 3210. Could be typical Y1 attrition rather than an increased intake overall
    - Of this 3210 about 210 are FFPs (Bond 120, UNDA 60, UoM 30) so 3,000 CSP/BMPs, but only ~half of these are offered to Y12s + Non-standards.

No tsunami complaints please :D

Isiyara and acbard9 like this.
  14. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    EJM has confirmed ~40 USyd places (FFP) went to MaqU in preparation for their start up.

ETA: she also reports that the domestic intake this year was closer to 180-190 and that course restructuring is in motion.

15. fupson

fupson New Member

Hi guys, just wondering what kind of WAM would constitute a credit average for something like the JMP? Would it be anything >=65, given that 65 is a credit mark, or would it be higher? Thanks

16. A1

UWA MD minus-I
    First we are not 100% sure whether JMP uses WAM or GPA. Only based on the fact we apply through UAC who uses GPA, plus whenever JMP's "Close to Credit" is discussed it's mentioned as 4.7-4.8 not 62-63%, we believe GPA is used.

Secondly a WAM cannot be equated directly to a certain GPA. For example if half your units are 67 half are 65 (WAM 66) it's GPA 5.0, but if half are 68 half are 64 (also WAM 66) it's GPA 4.5 which is less than the 4.7 JMP requires.

Can you not calculate a GPA from your individual unit results rather than relying on WAM?

17. Michael Wan

Michael Wan New Member

Looking at ATAR Adjustment factors (used to be bonus points) for Y12 HSC subjects, are there any Medicine courses doing this bonus thing?

I notice that for other health science courses, ACU and some Unis will add 3-5 points to the ATAR if you get Band 5 or 6 in Maths, Bio or Chemistry.

18. A1

UWA MD minus-I
    The only med school I can think of that gives subjects bonus points is UQ and it's only to help you make the ATAR/OP threshold, doesn't improve your competitiveness.

TISC WA also gives subjects bonus points but to the aggregates i.e. pre-ATAR so is usable for all med schools. However please don't view this as an unfair advantage to WA students in general; it helps those doing these subjects but penalises the ATARs of those not doing them so on state vs state basis it evens out.

Isiyara likes this.
  19. manyfrogs

manyfrogs New Member

Not sure if anyone else has already asked this for rural [I did have a look and couldn't find anything], but does cumulative or consecutive make any difference when applying through QTAC/Griffith or UTAS? I qualify through both, so should I tick both boxes?

20. walks787

walks787 New Member

I just ticked both