Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions Thread: 2016 & 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dazzy

Ever had a question about medicine/dentistry, but felt like it was too small to warrant creating an entire thread for it?

Well, this thread is for you. :)

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
As I was trying to sort my SATAC preferences, I stumbled upon this:

Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (double degree with Flinders University's Doctor of Medicine (MD) in the Northern Territory).

For this course, do the spots come under Flinders' total spots or do they have extra allocated for Charles Darwin University? Will I have to add this to my pref as well or just having Flinders is enough?

D

Dazzy

Bachelor of Clinical Sciences (double degree with Flinders University's Doctor of Medicine (MD) in the Northern Territory).

For this course, do the spots come under Flinders' total spots or do they have extra allocated for Charles Darwin University? Will I have to add this to my pref as well or just having Flinders is enough?
I think they have extra allocated spots because why else would they give you an option to have it on your preference list...

i don't know if this is a big thing or not, about the uws applications do they give preference to people who live in gws?

Dr.Potato

Adelaide MBBS II

They have extra allocated spots for Charles Darwin University, you will need to add this to your preference as well.
Note that they preference Indigenous and Northern Territory students though, and they have very few places.
"Preference is given to students who are NT residents and Indigenous Territorians. Other Australians may apply and will be considered if there are insufficient numbers of eligible NT and/or Indigenous applicants." - Flinders University

Last edited:
They have extra allocated spots for Charles Darwin University, you will need to add this to your preference as well.
Note that they preference Indigenous and Northern Territory students though, and they have very few places.
"Preference is given to students who are NT residents and Indigenous Territorians. Other Australians may apply and will be considered if there are insufficient numbers of eligible NT and/or Indigenous applicants." - Flinders University
similiar to utas where they give preference to people living in tasmania.

A1

Rookie Doc
i don't know if this is a big thing or not, about the uws applications do they give preference to people who live in gws?

For GWS applicants ATAR requirement is 93.5 instead of 95.5

Apart from that, since ATAR is a hurdle not counted into interview/place offer rounds I think GWS applicants get no further preference/advantage.

A1

Rookie Doc
Summary of a few quick questions recently asked on Hatbox.

Q: Is it easier to get into Dent than Med?
A: Generally yes. Rule of thumb is 99.0 + 90%ile for Med, 98.0 + 85%ile for Dent
MSOer cc101 was 98.5 + 76%ile, got a late round offer from CSU Dent.

Q: What was the 2016 UMAT cut-off for UQ Dent?
A: 173 overall score (vs 182 for UQ Med)

Q: How come Griffith Dent is only 3 years?
A: It's 3 years plus a 2-year Grad Dip in Dentistry to qualify for dentist's registration.
The 2-yr Grad Dip is full-fee even for Aus/NZ students, approx $60k * 2yrs = $120k

Summary of a few quick questions recently asked on Hatbox.

Q: Is it easier to get into Dent than Med?
A: Generally yes. Rule of thumb is 99.0 + 90%ile for Med, 98.0 + 85%ile for Dent
MSOer cc101 was 98.5 + 76%ile, got a late round offer from CSU Dent.

Q: What was the 2016 UMAT cut-off for UQ Dent?
A: 173 overall score (vs 182 for UQ Med)

Q: How come Griffith Dent is only 3 years?
A: It's 3 years plus a 2-year Grad Dip in Dentistry to qualify for dentist's registration.
The 2-yr Grad Dip is full-fee even for Aus/NZ students, approx $60k * 2yrs = $120k
but isn't it harder to get into dent cos there are less spots available?

Trin

@Trin , do you have any UMAT tips?

Hi May,

I am happy to offer some personal tips and advice.

First of all I think preparation is important. Given that you still have a good 10 or 11 months before UMAT 2017 comes round, you have quite a bit of time to start preparing. There are people who don't think prep helps much, or helps at all, and that's fine. It is certainly true that there are plenty of people who do very well without doing any prep (anecdotal evidence: friend with no prep got 99%tile) and there are also plenty of people who don't do as well (again, friend who prepped for 6 months using a well known service only got 50%tile). But I think preparation can help a lot, and that in general the more prepared you are, the better you do. It's not necessarily true that everyone who prepares can get 100%tile. A small number of people no matter how much time and effort they put in, they won't be able to get very marks. However you can certainly maximise your abilities to get the best score for yourself.

So all that being said, now comes the question of how to prepare. There are plenty of free UMAT resources/questions out there, as well as paid ones that I am sure you are familiar with. In addition to that you have the papers from ACER themselves, which are essential for preparing. They are the closest to the "real thing" and I would strongly recommend getting all the available ones. (I can also provide some old ones from ACER back in 2011, not sure how relevant they are now though ). The key is to start preparing early, and preparing every day. Get into a routine of doing questions every day. You don't need to be smashing through a full exam worth daily, but you should be aiming to do 30+ minutes of UMAT daily up until 3 months from UMAT when you should crank it up. You want to be get comfortable with all sorts of questions so when you walk into an exam, hopefully you won't go all wtf and be on full tilt. When you do the questions, it's very important to go through the solutions (especially the ones you get wrong) and work out why you got a question right/wrong. It's freaking tedious, I've been there, but it's arguably more helpful than doing the questions proper.

Secondly, not directly related to UMAT itself. Be mindful that while UMAT is extremely important, so is GPA/ATAR. As you already know, GPA/ATAR either gets you past the threshold, or is counted directly in the total entrance scores. No point spending all your time on UMAT and getting a stellar UMAT score then realising you are OP2 and can't get into UQ for example. Again I have friends who let their grades slip as they dedicated all their time and effort on UMAT/GAMSAT.

Finally, try not to treat UMAT as something like "omg it's the most important test of my life". There are plenty of other rewarding careers out there, and you can always have a second shot through UMAT, or GAMSAT anyway. If you place too much importance and significance on UMAT, you are only putting yourself up for disappointment. It is certainly important, but if you can treat it as a worthy challenge you want to overcome, you may find that you will enjoy preparing for UMAT and end up doing better.

These are some of the things I've told my students in the past, and they've all gone on to med/dent somewhere, so I'd like to think I did make a small difference in their preparation. However these are my thoughts and opinions and they are just that, it would be wise to get tips and advice from a range of different people to get a broader perspective.

I am happy to answer more specific questions regarding UMAT and entry questions (especially QLD unis).

Thanks and good luck (y)

pi

Junior doctor
Emeritus Staff
Guys this isn't a thread for post-padding. Please don't ask ridiculous questions you know the answers to.

Sherlock

Emeritus Staff
Emeritus Staff
How important is the predicted ATAR for JCU application and is it possible that they would not consider your application if the predicted ATAR is too low? Does JCU invite medicine hopefuls for interview based on their predicted ATAR?

Mana

there are no stupid questions, only people
Administrator
How important is the predicted ATAR for JCU application and is it possible that they would not consider your application if the predicted ATAR is too low? Does JCU invite medicine hopefuls for interview based on their predicted ATAR?

This is probably one for @bennjamin. That said, since you asked me to answer this:

JCU has two interview rounds. For 2017 entry they will be held on 29 Nov-8 Dec 2016, as well as an additional interview round on 5-6 January 2017. (source: https://www.jcu.edu.au/__data/asset.../173873-Information-Sheet-MBBS-2017_V2pdf.pdf )

In terms of selection for interview, if your predicted ATAR is too low, then they would not consider your application, *with the caveat that if you then go on to achieve an ATAR that IS sufficient for interview, that you would then be considered for application again, and you would be offered a late round interview. The predicted ATAR is never used in the final selection (obviously).

So if you want an early round interview, your predicted ATAR should be above the cutoff. If your predicted ATAR is below and your actual ATAR is above, you'll get a second round interview, which should not disadvantage you in any way whatsoever.

Dr.Potato

Adelaide MBBS II
If i take a gap year and/or redo some year 12 subjects, am I still considered a school leaver? i.e. Will I still be considered by all universities? (for example if I just redo my UMAT and use the same ATAR, can i still apply to UQ?)

phosphene

Monash MD I
Does anyone have experience applying to UTAS?

I'm filling in the application in right now and there is a section where supporting documentation is needed. Year 11 qualification is included and there's the option to upload supporting documentation for it.

However underneath, it writes:
"Please note: You do not need to attach transcripts or certificates of completion for Australian secondary (Year 12) or Australian tertiary (University) studies as the University of Tasmania will obtain these on your behalf."
Does this still mean supporting documents certifying I've completed Year 11 is needed? (What kind of document would this be even?) I'd assume that this would be automatically be covered given they can obtain my certificate of completion for Year 12 at the end of this year... since I can't have completed Year 12 without Year 11 right?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, greatly appreciate it if anyone can help, thanks!

Mana

Administrator
If i take a gap year and/or redo some year 12 subjects, am I still considered a school leaver? i.e. Will I still be considered by all universities? (for example if I just redo my UMAT and use the same ATAR, can i still apply to UQ?)
Yes.

Mana

Administrator
Does anyone have experience applying to UTAS?

I'm filling the application in right now and there is a section where supporting documentation is needed. Year 11 qualification is included and there's the option to upload supporting documentation for it.

However underneath, it writes:
"Please note: You do not need to attach transcripts or certificates of completion for Australian secondary (Year 12) or Australian tertiary (University) studies as the University of Tasmania will obtain these on your behalf."
Does this still mean supporting documents certifying I've completed Year 11 is needed? (What kind of document would this be even?) I'd assume that would be automatically be covered given they can obtain my certificate of completion for Year 12 at the end of this year... since I can't have completed Year 12 without Year 11 right?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, greatly appreciate it if anyone can help, thanks!
This would be if you did recent schooling or other education overseas.

Status
Not open for further replies.