Quick Questions Thread 2019/2020

Discussion in 'Medicine Entrance' started by LMG!, Mar 14, 2019.

1. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
    A new thread for a new admissions cycle :D

Good luck everyone (esp. MSO’s own Sherlock and Smelly Boy).

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    May and Smelly Boy like this.
  2. Maria1287

Maria1287 New Member

Hey! I was wondering if anyone knew of any Australian universities that accept undergraduate entry for Medicine from someone who has done one year at a tertiary institution?

3. LMG!

LMG! Moderator (UTAS MBBS) Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018

Clinical Psychologist
  4. NDR

NDR New Member

Hey everyone,
    I'm tutoring a few people in the UCAT this year and was wondering whether different sections of the test will be waited differently as they were with the UMAT e.g. WSU S1+S2.
    Im aware of SJT being in bands as well, do we know any specifics about band cut offs for different unis yet?

Thanks in advance, i loved this forum when i was in year 12.

5. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    Have a quick read of these two posts
    > Pre-UCAT 2019 Discussion
    > Pre-UCAT 2019 Discussion

The SJT for UCAT ANZ 2019 won't be in bands (probably the Aus unis haven't come to agreement on it yet). And judging by the way the UK unis do it's likely the Aus schools will weigh the sections differently too, but no-one knows the details yet.

6. dco

dco New Member

My Atar is 97 .
    Have rural background
    If I take gap year and improve my UCAT
    What is my chance to get into med
    How many unies accept after a gap year
    and how many units accept if I start some course.
    Your help will be greatly appreciated

7. Logic

Logic Medical Student Silliest Member 2018

Hi,

I highly encourage you to have a read of this thread first: Common pitfalls to avoid for year 12 school leavers and other medicine applicants

Feel free to ask any questions afterwards :D

- Logic

dco likes this.
  8. A1

A1 Admissions Speculator Moderator

UWA MD
    Hi welcome to MSO. While many MSO members will encourage you to read the Common pitfalls thread, which offers excellent advice to 95% of the cases, I often suggest the opposite to particular cases. If (1) your ATAR is highly competitive (99.3+ non-rural, 97+ rural), and (2) you are prepared to do med outside of NSW, and (3) you are so med keen you don't mind risking losing a year of time for the higher chances, then IMO taking a gap year is not bad an option.

Once started uni you are limited to 4 med schools that accept non-standard applicants: JCU (very small quota) JMP WSU UNSW. Taking a gap year you remain eligible for these four's regular quotas plus Monash, Adelaide, UWA, Curtin, and possibly UQ (more on this below). With already a competitive ATAR plus double the number of avenues it gives much better chances than going non-standard.

Regarding UQ, I read that gap year students can be eligible to apply if they do a Y12 subject during that year (please call UQ Med to double check). My suggestion is to do a LOTE, with its 2 bonus points plus 2 for rural it protects your ATAR eligibility just in case it falls below 97. Percentile for UQ rural has been as low as 60th and there's still no interview for 2020 entry.

DarkLordTorkoal and dco like this.
  9. dco

dco New Member

Thankyou A1 for the reply and the great information.

10. Goldilocks

Goldilocks New Member

When asking people to write my character references for JCU, is there anything in particular I should ask them to include?

11. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    dco, a gap year means you also remain eligible for UTAS, where the written application plays an important role in rural admissions.

A1 added: My apology to UTas and LMG! , I keep forgetting.

dco and A1 like this.
  12. Medseeker

Medseeker New Member

Hey guys
    i have just finished my Med sci bachelors degree last year and am thinking of applying for med this year. My Gemsas Gpa is 5.92 (little low unfortunately) and my gamsat from the September sitting is 62 (also low). I also have a pretty strong Portfolio as i did volunteer work in different fields for almost 2 years and had a hand in 2 peer reviewed published articles. Do i have a chance of getting in and if so where?
    Cheers

13. LMG!

Clinical Psychologist
    If you're not a rural applicant, or a Flinders student, then I think you will probably struggle. The universities that use GPA as a hurdle are probably your best bet, but they tend to have high GAMSAT requirements, I believe. It would be more useful for you to look at the collated data on Paging Doctor as they collate graduate entry scores, whereas we only collate undergraduate entry scores. You will need to look this information up yourself over at that site.

14. Crow

Crow Moderator Most Active 2018

Griffith MD
    Welcome to MSO! Unfortunately your scores are too low to be competitive for graduate entry schools. Will you be retaking GAMSAT this weekend? If you improve that 62, with an exceptional portfolio you may scrape an interview at Wollongong or UNDA (at which point GPA and GAMSAT become irrelevant or weighted very lowly when determining place offers).

I’d suggest you also take the UCAT this year and aim for entry at the universities that accept non-standard applicants (JMP, WSU, UNSW, Curtin and Bond).

Other than that, you may need to look at completing another bachelor degree or postgraduate study with the aim of lifting your GPA (and ideally providing you with an alternative career path if you don’t already have one).