Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions Thread 2019/2020

A1

Admissions Speculator
Does this mean that there is a chance for UCAT 89 for UWS for a person from GWS.
From last year's collated data

[invite received - GWS
181 (91st%ile) 59/65/57, 6.62, (S1+S2= 124)
179 (89th%ile) 71/56/53, 99.80, GWS, (127)
177 (87th%ile) 67/70/40, 6.17, GWS, (137)
175 (84th%ile) 65/65/45, 6.00, GWS, (130)

[no invite yet - GWS
187 (95th%ile) 65/54/68, 6.00, GWS, (119)
181 (91st%ile) 51/70/60, unknown GPA, GWS, (121) ]

A few sub-90%ile overall got an interview yet a 95%ile GWS didn't, because their sections 1+2 was lower. Ignoring the small contribution from section 3 for simplicity the S1+S2 cutoff was around 122 = 91-92ish section %ile.

Translating this to UCAT Overall if that's what WSU is going to use it's equivalent to UCAT 90-91ish %ile. But 89 shouldn't give up hope yet.

pokopoko99

I've just started doing my applications and on the specific jmp application where is asks for your 2019 ucat anz id there is 'ANZ' in grey right next to the box to inout your id. Does this mean you only need to put in the numbers of your id or do you still need to add the anz followed by the numbers? I know this probably sounds really pedantic but i guess i've gotten this far and i'm scared of messing up something minor :/ Also would I be right in assuming that in any other applications where they ask for ucat id that the anz is required if it isn't next to the input box in grey already?

CHALLENGER

From last year's collated data

[invite received - GWS
181 (91st%ile) 59/65/57, 6.62, (S1+S2= 124)
179 (89th%ile) 71/56/53, 99.80, GWS, (127)
177 (87th%ile) 67/70/40, 6.17, GWS, (137)
175 (84th%ile) 65/65/45, 6.00, GWS, (130)

[no invite yet - GWS
187 (95th%ile) 65/54/68, 6.00, GWS, (119)
181 (91st%ile) 51/70/60, unknown GPA, GWS, (121) ]

A few sub-90%ile overall got an interview yet a 95%ile GWS didn't, because their sections 1+2 was lower. Ignoring the small contribution from section 3 for simplicity the S1+S2 cutoff was around 122 = 91-92ish section %ile.

Translating this to UCAT Overall if that's what WSU is going to use it's equivalent to UCAT 90-91ish %ile. But 89 shouldn't give up hope yet.
🤞.thank you

PiKay

I have completed my UAC application a week or so ago.

After reading this thread I logged in to change preferences to put UWS first (applying from SA).
On top of the preference list it says:

"You cannot change your preferences until the next round of offers has been made. Check the important dates for admissions on the UAC website. "

Is this the same for everyone?
If yes when can the preferences be changed?

A second question.
Under each of the course preferences it says:

"Decision pending - English language requirements. "

Do I need to do anything about it or just wait till SATAC sends the details of my Y12 English course?

CatzDreaming

Please let me into med :(
I have completed my UAC application a week or so ago.

After reading this thread I logged in to change preferences to put UWS first (applying from SA).

"You cannot change your preferences until the next round of offers has been made. Check the important dates for admissions on the UAC website. "

Is this the same for everyone?
If yes when can the preferences be changed?

A second question.
Under each of the course preferences it says:

"Decision pending - English language requirements. "

Do I need to do anything about it or just wait till SATAC sends the details of my Y12 English course?
To answer your first question, this does happen to everyone and you should be able to change your preferences within the next week or so. For your second question, you shouldn't need to worry about it as they are just general tracker notes that will be updated once SATAC sends over your details.

PiKay

To answer your first question, this does happen to everyone and you should be able to change your preferences within the next week or so. For your second question, you shouldn't need to worry about it as they are just general tracker notes that will be updated once SATAC sends over your details.
Thank you.

A1

Admissions Speculator

There's a very logical reason for this^ > Key dates - UAC

Currently the Sept round 1 offers are due to be released on 12 Sept. The pref-change system is always locked out a few days prior (to prevent students making last minute changes while UAC already started distributing the offers). You should be able to change after 12 Sept.

TKAO

crossed fingers for ATAR
Gold star winner
There's a very logical reason for this^ > Key dates - UAC

Currently the Sept round 1 offers are due to be released on 12 Sept. The pref-change system is always locked out a few days prior (to prevent students making last minute changes while UAC already started distributing the offers). You should be able to change after 12 Sept.
Offers for what? Am I misunderstanding something or is this round 'september round offers' for non-med courses?

A1

Admissions Speculator
Offers for what? Am I misunderstanding something or is this round 'september round offers' for non-med courses?
There are general applications and offers going on all year round. Med courses aren't anything special to UAC.

Might wanna contact them asap (if you haven't already) to correct the error because that seems to be a pretty big one..
Lmao I just realised I did the same thing, the application asked you if you finished highschool this year or previous years and I out previous years, but it may have automatically put me in the school leavers category because I finished a year ago but I should contact them to make sure, anyone have the email for it I cannot seem to find it?

donggii

Lmao I just realised I did the same thing, the application asked you if you finished highschool this year or previous years and I out previous years, but it may have automatically put me in the school leavers category because I finished a year ago but I should contact them to make sure, anyone have the email for it I cannot seem to find it?
admissions@westernsydney.edu.au was the email address i was told to email.

TKAO

crossed fingers for ATAR
Gold star winner
Hey I was doing some googling and this really puzzled me. According to UWA, they say that they only offer 65 places in their direct entry pathway (High Academic Achievement Direct Pathway to MD and DMD > Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences: The University of Western Australia). However, according to TISC they offered and subsequently offered over 140 students (http://www.tisc.edu.au/static-fixed/statistics/application-offer/2019-06-30-uwa.pdf). How can there be such a large disparity between these figures? Remember that these figures are for the direct pathway, so postgraduate numbers are not included either.

This contrasts with the uwa reported positions for the DMD direct entry vs. the TISC statistics, which show around 24 places according to UWA and 30 places offered from TISC. These numbers of far more in line with each other.

on a separate note, why is there such a large disparity between the number of people that apply for the direct pathway (only available to school leavers and gap year) and the number of WACE people that apply? 1200 vs. 400 is a very large difference.

Lyyrre

Griffith BMedSci/MD
Hey I was doing some googling and this really puzzled me. According to UWA, they say that they only offer 65 places in their direct entry pathway (High Academic Achievement Direct Pathway to MD and DMD > Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences: The University of Western Australia). However, according to TISC they offered and subsequently offered over 140 students (http://www.tisc.edu.au/static-fixed/statistics/application-offer/2019-06-30-uwa.pdf). How can there be such a large disparity between these figures? Remember that these figures are for the direct pathway, so postgraduate numbers are not included either.

This contrasts with the uwa reported positions for the DMD direct entry vs. the TISC statistics, which show around 24 places according to UWA and 30 places offered from TISC. These numbers of far more in line with each other.

on a separate note, why is there such a large disparity between the number of people that apply for the direct pathway (only available to school leavers and gap year) and the number of WACE people that apply? 1200 vs. 400 is a very large difference.
Seems moreso that everyone wants to secure a spot in medicine, and so people from NSW, QLD, VIC, SA, TAS are all applying in case they don't get an offer for their home state.