Registered  members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions 2019/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
WSU actually does have a grace period/delayed academic penalty after the financial census. I am GWS though so I should be able to stay above the GWS gpa cutoff... Hopefully...

I looked at the Key Dates timetable yesterday and it didn't seem to indicate that... let me check again.

Once this date has passed, you are committed to the units you're enrolled in. This means you will be charged tuition fees and receive a grade for all your enrolled units. If you drop any units after this date you will still need to pay tuition fees and will receive an absent fail grade.

The semester two date in the calendar is listed as 31st of August.

That said, I'm also not a WSU student, so the information they have provided here may not be accurate.

Jenga118

On the QTAC Application, it says:

"Regional or remote schooling in rural area classification as RA3 - RA5 as per the ASGS Remoteness Areas Classification (2016). Click here to check your RA classification. "

However on the UQ Website, it says,

"To be considered a student from a rural background, you must have lived in a geographic region classified as –
  • Remoteness Area 2 (RA2)
  • Remoteness Area 3 (RA3)
  • Remoteness Area 4 (RA4)
  • Remoteness Area 5 (RA5) "
I've reached the end of the application, and I haven't seen any other boxes, do I just tick the first box (RA3-5) anyway? I'm RA2 so don't fall under the rural requirements of QTAC, but do for UQ.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 37156

For medical/scholarship applications: when they ask, "anything else you'd like to tell us?", what would be some good things to address? I have a feeling that this isn't something that you should leave empty, but I have no idea what to talk about? What do you guys think?

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
For medical/scholarship applications: when they ask, "anything else you'd like to tell us?", what would be some good things to address? I have a feeling that this isn't something that you should leave empty, but I have no idea what to talk about? What do you guys think?
For scholarship applications, this would depend largely on the previous questions in the application as well as what type of scholarship you're actually applying for. For medicine written applications, this depends on the university. If you're referring to UNSW, this is purely to give them background information about you prior to the interview, so just include anything that you'd be happy to discuss in an interview setting. If you're referring to JCU, Ben has answered this here:
Other Relevant Details
There are a number of ways you can respond to this section of the JCU application and largely it depends on your personal experience - if you have something that you haven't been able to bring up in the previous questions then realistically this is where you can detail it. This is especially important for those with prior experience in fields that JCU is looking for - i.e. if you are currently an Indigenous Health Liason Officer working in the hospital/healthcare sector but for some reason haven't been able to bring it up earlier in the application then this is where you would put that information.

On the other end of the spectrum - i.e. high school graduates - this often allows for people to list achievements that aren't necessarily directly related to their medicine application but demonstrate leadership/commitment to learning etc. For example, if you represented Australia at a national level for sport; or you have written papers/been involved in research then you can list those references here. There are more examples I can give but again it's entirely dependent on your own personal background, whether you think the information you are putting down is worthwhile and/or demonstrates why you are a good applicant.

I'm not aware of any other universities that require written applications for medicine for 2020 entry.

zx72ksq8o

What would be a good atar for adelaide med? I know the criteria says 90.0=cut-off, but i feel like the median is going to be above 99.5...

Crow

Staff | Junior Doctor
What would be a good atar for adelaide med? I know the criteria says 90.0=cut-off, but i feel like the median is going to be above 99.5...
These are the offers we had reported for 2019 entry at Adelaide:
100th%ile, 98.45, CSP, will be accepting UNSW offer
99th%ile, 99.70, CSP, will be accepting UNSW offer
99th%ile, 99.50, CSP, will be accepting UQ offer
98th%ile, 99.25, CSP
98th%ile, 98.85, BMP, will be accepting UNSW offer
97th%ile, 99.80, BMP
97th%ile, 99.60, BMP, will be accepting WSU or UNSW offer, upgraded to CSP in second round
96th%ile, 99.60, BMP
96th%ile, 99.45
188 (95th%ile) 63/58/66, 99.85, CSP, intending to accept Monash
185 (94th%ile) 75/54/55, 99.40, CSP, intending to defer
184 (93rd%ile), 99.75, BMP, intending to accept UNSW, offered on 07th Feb, 2019
184 (93rd%ile), 97.25, RA2, CSP, second round
92nd%ile, 99.95, BMP
92nd%ile, 99.90, EAS, BMP
92nd%ile, 6.75, tertiary transfer, BMP
91st%ile, 99.70, CSP
91st%ile, 6.85, tertiary transfer, BMP
181 (91st%ile), 99.50, BMP, intending to accept Monash
90th%ile, 99.95 with EAS, BMP
80th%ile, 98.50, EAS, RA2, CSP
168 (77th%ile), 98.45, BMP, second round, intending to accept UTAS
76th %ile, 99.20, RA2
75th%ile, 6.75, tertiary transfer, BMP
74th%ile, 96.4, RA2, BMP, third round offer
63rd%ile, 99.35, RA3, BMP, intending to accept JCU
145, 98.85, RA3, CSP

REGULAR JOE

These are the offers we had reported for 2019 entry at Adelaide:
100th%ile, 98.45, CSP, will be accepting UNSW offer
99th%ile, 99.70, CSP, will be accepting UNSW offer
99th%ile, 99.50, CSP, will be accepting UQ offer
98th%ile, 99.25, CSP
98th%ile, 98.85, BMP, will be accepting UNSW offer
97th%ile, 99.80, BMP
97th%ile, 99.60, BMP, will be accepting WSU or UNSW offer, upgraded to CSP in second round
96th%ile, 99.60, BMP
96th%ile, 99.45
188 (95th%ile) 63/58/66, 99.85, CSP, intending to accept Monash
185 (94th%ile) 75/54/55, 99.40, CSP, intending to defer
184 (93rd%ile), 99.75, BMP, intending to accept UNSW, offered on 07th Feb, 2019
184 (93rd%ile), 97.25, RA2, CSP, second round
92nd%ile, 99.95, BMP
92nd%ile, 99.90, EAS, BMP
92nd%ile, 6.75, tertiary transfer, BMP
91st%ile, 99.70, CSP
91st%ile, 6.85, tertiary transfer, BMP
181 (91st%ile), 99.50, BMP, intending to accept Monash
90th%ile, 99.95 with EAS, BMP
80th%ile, 98.50, EAS, RA2, CSP
168 (77th%ile), 98.45, BMP, second round, intending to accept UTAS
76th %ile, 99.20, RA2
75th%ile, 6.75, tertiary transfer, BMP
74th%ile, 96.4, RA2, BMP, third round offer
63rd%ile, 99.35, RA3, BMP, intending to accept JCU
145, 98.85, RA3, CSP

Keep in mind there is a bias towards those with higher scores posting their results. Note that for Adelaide, the most important factors are the interview and UCAT score, though of course the higher the ATAR, the better.
Thank you Crow for the detailed answer, but isnt atar and interview the most important(40% each) or has it changed this year?

TKAO

oowah!
Valued Member
On the QTAC Application, it says:

"Regional or remote schooling in rural area classification as RA3 - RA5 as per the ASGS Remoteness Areas Classification (2016). Click here to check your RA classification. "

However on the UQ Website, it says,

"To be considered a student from a rural background, you must have lived in a geographic region classified as –
  • Remoteness Area 2 (RA2)
  • Remoteness Area 3 (RA3)
  • Remoteness Area 4 (RA4)
  • Remoteness Area 5 (RA5) "
I've reached the end of the application, and I haven't seen any other boxes, do I just tick the first box (RA3-5) anyway? I'm RA2 so don't fall under the rural requirements of QTAC, but do for UQ.
Have you tried emailing UQ/QTAC? In my experience emailing UQ is pretty fast and simple - they reply in around 2-3 days.

I looked at the Key Dates timetable yesterday and it didn't seem to indicate that... let me check again.

The semester two date in the calendar is listed as 31st of August.

That said, I'm also not a WSU student, so the information they have provided here may not be accurate.

I'm currently at WSU (B MedSci), they just started doing it this way last year. It's under 'Withdrawing After Census'

I crunched some numbers and I can stay above 5.9 (GWS gpa threshold) if I can scrape 2 credits and a distinction or better (of my 3 units for this semester) so I'm gonna power through anyway and maybe get some advice from the coordinator for my anatomy units.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
I'm currently at WSU (B MedSci), they just started doing it this way last year. It's under 'Withdrawing After Census'

I crunched some numbers and I can stay above 5.9 (GWS gpa threshold) if I can scrape 2 credits and a distinction or better (of my 3 units for this semester) so I'm gonna power through anyway and maybe get some advice from the coordinator for my anatomy units.

Ahh, thank you for this. Though, regardless, this date has also passed (just! It looks like it was the 21st) so powering through appears to be your only option. Good luck!

leez

asking for some advice - my wam's 77, atar was ~98 and ucat 95th percentile. for uac applications, should i bother putting unsw as my 1st preference even though my chances for an interview are close to none? or should i just put wsu and then jmp and then unsw after (or not at all)

A1

Rookie Doc
asking for some advice - my wam's 77, atar was ~98 and ucat 95th percentile. for uac applications, should i bother putting unsw as my 1st preference even though my chances for an interview are close to none? or should i just put wsu and then jmp and then unsw after (or not at all)

If you have a spare UAC slot no harm putting Unsw into it. As for preferences just put them in the order you actually like to be offered. Putting Unsw at 1st pref does not affect your chances at the other schools.

Medco2019

Just a quick Question: I have applied for UWS and I am a Grade 12 student. finishing school this year.

For entry category section I have filled the data as below:

Are you applying as a:
School leaver or Graduate? I said School leaver

Are you currently enrolled in an MD course?
No

Are you completing year 12 in 2019
My answer Yes.

However, When I access my form after submitting the entry category section of my form shows as:

Applying as: School leaver
Current school leaver: Yes

I am worried because it looks like I am applying as a non standard applicant.

If you have applied to UWS as a school leaver, Can you please check whether your form shows the same.

Thanks

Medco2019

What part of your application suggests this? Everything in your post above checks out as you being a school-leaver to me.

My friend suggested that to me. She said that students who took a gap year are called ' school leaver' & I should be a current Grade 12.She is in Uni so I thought to check in here. My application is locked so I cant edit.

DrDrLMG!

Resident Medical Officer
Administrator
My friend suggested that to me. She said that students who took a gap year are called ' school leaver' & I should be a current Grade 12.She is in Uni so I thought to check in here. My application is locked so I cant edit.

Are you “leaving school” this year? Yes, you are. Therefore you’re a school leaver. For WSU purposes, gap year students are also school leavers.

Status
Not open for further replies.