• MSO wishes the best of luck to all users with upcoming interviews! For those interviewing at universities that do not have applicants sign an NDA, it would be greatly appreciated if you could send me (Crow) a PM with your interview questions to help future users. These will not be shared publicly until all interviews for that university have been completed. Cheers! ETA: Please check out our new Interview Portal!

Registered members with 100+ posts do not see Ads

Quick Questions Thread 2019/2020

A1

Admissions Speculator

LMG!

Most Helpful Member and Staff Member of the Year 2017-2018
It's not really much, 22k extra debt for Dent rather than a nondescript 3-year degree is a huge bargain ;)
It’s only a “huge bargain” if you actually need the degree though, otherwise it’s just... 22k you could have spent on something else!

I mean, that’d be like Yamster buying a Tiffany’s paperclip only “because it’s on sale” which... oh, wait...

😎

A1

Admissions Speculator
It’s only a “huge bargain” if you actually need the degree though, otherwise it’s just... 22k you could have spent on something else!
Maybe we don't *need* the Dent degree but can use it casually during the 4 years of Med study. Let's say you work on Saturday every week for $400-500/day, that will pay the 22K several times over ;)

Crow

Moderator Band
Maybe we don't *need* the Dent degree but can use it casually during the 4 years of Med study. Let's say you work on Saturday every week for $400-500/day, that will pay the 22K several times over ;)
In fairness, you can earn money casually on the weekend with lots of degrees, most of which aren’t 5 years long ;)

Reactions: A1

Henzells

If Western Sydney and Newcastle were to offer to you in Jan and your preference was that order, would you still be able to accept Newcastle’s if you changed your mind?

A1

Admissions Speculator
If Western Sydney and Newcastle were to offer to you in Jan and your preference was that order, would you still be able to accept Newcastle’s if you changed your mind?
In this case you only know you get WSU offer, nothing about JMP.

In previous years UAC would show a Status code next to your JMP pref saying like "Qualified but offered a higher preference". This code now seems no longer in use > Course preference status explanations

I guess you would have to ask UAC or JMP whether you qualified for JMP as well, and whether a swap is possible.

A1

Admissions Speculator
does anyone know how recently you have to have lived in a rural location to qualify for RAS? what if it was in primary school for example?
For rural eligibility itself the usual requirement is 10 years cumulative or 5 years consecutively, doesn't matter how recently but in some cases the 5/10 year factor only counts from when you were primary-school age.

However some med schools now, UNSW for example, work on a rurality rating which does take into account how recently you lived rural i.e. if it was a long time ago you are still rural but with a lower rating.

bizwest76

Hey does anyone remember the post where a student was applying for UNSW through the rural stream but they had really high ATAR + UCAT and I think A1 or LMG suggested they might be better off applying to the non-rural stream? I forgot what the reasoning was

CristinaYang

Pick me, choose me...for med
Hey does anyone remember the post where a student was applying for UNSW through the rural stream but they had really high ATAR + UCAT and I think A1 or LMG suggested they might be better off applying to the non-rural stream? I forgot what the reasoning was
This was the post I think:
For UNSW a non-rural with 99.95+96%ile would have 2 strongs + 1 unknown going into the interview. Since UNSW uses a rurality rating and Samyang being so-so rural it's 2 strongs + 1 weak + 1 unknown. We can argue the 2 strongs are now extra strongs in the rural pool and the extra compensates for the weak one, but apparently UNSW have changed their calculation method to not give too much advantage to outlier scores.

EtA: This is a particular case that I wonder if Samyang would be better off applying in the general pool rather than rural.

A1

Admissions Speculator
This was the post I think:
Haha CristinaYang how did you find that post so quickly!

Anyway that was my original thought. After discussing with other mods I realised a 96%ile UCAT in the non-rural pool would be measured against those typically 80ish up, whereas in the rural pool against those 50ish up. This much larger gap should well compensate for their low rurality rating thus they are not disadvantaged being in the rural pool.

bizwest76

Haha CristinaYang how did you find that post so quickly!

Anyway that was my original thought. After discussing with other mods I realised a 96%ile UCAT in the non-rural pool would be measured against those typically 80ish up, whereas in the rural pool against those 50ish up. This much larger gap should well compensate for their low rurality rating thus they are not disadvantaged being in the rural pool.
makes sense. thanks!

bizwest76

Hey guys, I'm aware that although most university have a sub-quota for rural students, after enrollment this " rural " status is for administrative purposes only and the course content is the same for both rural and non-rural streams. Is this the case for the flinders undergraduate program too? I might be confusing it with the PRCC sub-quota. And does anyone know what ATAR is competitive for school leavers under the rural sub-quota?

A1

Admissions Speculator
Hey guys, I'm aware that although most university have a sub-quota for rural students, after enrollment this " rural " status is for administrative purposes only and the course content is the same for both rural and non-rural streams. Is this the case for the flinders undergraduate program too? I might be confusing it with the PRCC sub-quota. And does anyone know what ATAR is competitive for school leavers under the rural sub-quota?
In general rurals and non-rurals study the same course content, any difference if exists is in their study/clinical locations. UNSW directs a large bunch of rurals to the PMQ campus, Flinders PRCC students do the whole MD3 year at regional hospitals, etc.

This document > https://www.flinders.edu.au/content/dam/documents/study/domestic/admission-info-sets/b-clinical-sciences-with-d-medicine-course-admission-information-set.pdf
shows the lowest ATAR for Flinders provisional offers was 97.90. This matches with the UES 5 bonus points (for non-rural) boosting it to 99.90, or could be a rural applicant's ATAR.

Sherlock

Staff
PRCC is an entirely different sub-quota, and it is only different in 3rd year of the post-grad program, and penultimate year of the undergrad program, where PRCC candidates spend a year in one of Flinders' regional hubs. This is not the same as all rural candidates in the program.

A1 adds: Flinders PRCC is like a sub-quota of its rural quota, since PRCC is available only to rural applicants.